Whats This

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's more to do with the falconer you do get the odd few a mate of mine flew peregrine terceil that would steam up to a kite but would not go up just kept landing on the floor and his brother

serve em enough game and look after em right they will do rest for sure

I'd like to see a falcon out flying game or crows, its a pleasure just to see them going for a lure so hunting with one must be superb.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

It's not cheap but I suppose if they are insured and in time can be bred from it dosent seem too bad.

Out of interest what is the failure rate of falcons or will they all make the grade if bred, kept and entered correctly?

I think it's more to do with the falconer you do get the odd few a mate of mine flew peregrine terceil that would steam up to a kite but would not go up just kept landing on the floor and his brother owned and trained by the same bloke was a great game hawk.

• Like 1

I don't think I could find enough game to satisy a Falcon, not on the ground I get to walk on.

I suppose a few lads could get together and pay for land putting down gamebirds like a shoot does.

im in the same boat, thats why when i get a falcon later in life it will be flown on gulls on corvids

when i see them at shows and on videos it all just appears to be too hard, i always believed that you was lucky to see the flights and most time was spent tracking them down. but crowhawker and articgun has made me realize that it is probably the most exciting type of falconry there is so i know that i will fly one in the future. but to be honest i love the hawks and i wont ever be without one, puts a smile on my face when i walk along and the harris follows me like a dog without calling him. i think i would miss that with a falcon as theres no connection there if you get what i mean, they are there to be served game and only see you as good for this purpose wheras a harris is just as happy to follow you all day until you decide to hunt and i know the harris only sees you as a food provider but its very rare to have one piss off out of the blue like many a falcon does.

I know I couldn't do justice to a falcon as I wouldn't have enough time to fly one. As you know with a Harris you can grab an hour a day after you've been to work and see some hunting plus the lamping option if needed.

Buying one and keeping it would not be a problem but once the young hares and gamebirds were gone I'd be fecked by October when quarry numbers are down and whats left knows a thing or two about survival lol.

• Like 1

It's good for genuine lads that falcons are very cheap now and just about everybody can afford to get one, but that must lead to some people owning them without the land and resources to actually fly one properly.

Yeah I heard they used to bring a fair price. Even then a grand is nothing for something as long lived as a hawk and most people will only require one or two.

When I finally decided I was in a position to fly a Harris I was surprised that the initial set up costs were low.So low that the majority of people could take up falconry/ hawking and if they realised its not for them could just give it up as quickly as they got into it without any real financial loss. That can't be good for many birds though its good for someone like me who isn't wealthy by any means.

• Like 1

Yeah I heard they used to bring a fair price. Even then a grand is nothing for something as long lived as a hawk and most people will only require one or two.

When I finally decided I was in a position to fly a Harris I was surprised that the initial set up costs were low.So low that the majority of people could take up falconry/ hawking and if they realised its not for them could just give it up as quickly as they got into it without any real financial loss. That can't be good for many birds though its good for someone like me who isn't wealthy by any means.

so true, whilst i think its great that a dedicated falconer can so easily buy a BOP, but then you carnt have one rule for one and another for someone else meaning its too easy for anybody to buy a hawk then pass it on to the next numpty and the cycle just keeps going on aslong as the breeding of BOP is exploited. its not ownership that needs regulating its breeding, as reduced numbers means demand will increase so in turn so will the price, putting all but the truly dedicated off of owning a bird