Ringing; My Way .....

:) With all you lads hard at it, struggling to get your chicks rung with those infernal (If entirely necessary) Close Rings, I thought I'd show you how I get to do it.

The tits are hatching now. So, this afternoon I strolled round a few boxes. Two of my Blue Tits are a shade small yet. But, these Great Tits looked up for it.

Box is amongst a small stand of sitka spruce, up behind here.

GTBoxNoelsNorthYard_zpsc4c005de.jpg

Now, I don't know about you. But, we like to take them out of the nest / box and put them in our hat. This is why I always wear this old bush hat for ringing. Keeps them happy and protected.

GreatTitChicks_zpsd18b9f45.jpg

Job done! This one's about to go into a cloth bag. All six done and I carefully pop them all, one by one, into the deep nest cup again.

GreatTitChickRinged_zps452ec521.jpg

Then, I get the f**k out of Dodge, to write up my record notes. No sitting around close to the nest box, checking times and numbers.

It's important to let the female, who's most likely been watching me and scolding me, to get back and find her young are fine as soon as possible.

The shit we have to carry too! And this, jam packed, case is only my basic gear. Another season or two and I'll be needing a full sized attaché case, ffs.

Really looking forward to carting even More bloody scales, bags, pliers and christ knows what about, aren't I? :rolleyes:

RingingGear_zps945c7549.jpg

On balance though? I don't think I could hack it, having to do what you lads have to do.

Incidentally; Great Tits take an 'A' ring. But, the chicks need a 'B' ring. (Next size up) Because of their chubby little legs! I can't even begin to imagine getting a close ring on one of these buggers!

You genuine, legit guys have my respect and admiration for what you do. I even love looking at pictures of your aviaries. I just turned a different corner :)

• Like 7

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all you lads hard at it, struggling to get your chicks rung with those infernal (If entirely necessary) Close Rings, I thought I'd show you how I get to do it.   The tits are hatching now. So,

Well here's some pics of the ringing of a Lesser redpoll i did today,first pic is done to try to show some scale of how small the ring is. ring and leg it to go on. getting over the first toes,w

Keep some canaries and foster the eggs out under them,if my bullies ever get to nest and i get any eggs there out of there asap if i got another hen to put them under.

Thanks Pete for posting that,it's very interesting and fair play to you for the effort you put in :yes: ,to be honest we just walk in a aviary or bird room and the nests are there where as you do a sight more in your search for them.Respect to you for sure :victory: .

• Like 2

That's a good bit of information Pete i alway's wondered what them split ring plier's looked like..and too be honest you may well know this is my first year ringing young chick's and after the last batch of goldies i done i am getting pretty confident now...i just hope the lesser Redpoll's don't throw a spanner in the works of my confidence.. :D

• Like 2

Redpoll's, Millet? We have Lesser Redpoll here. Never found a nest though. But, I've ringed my share of Willow Warblers. " AA " rings! Like trying to read a phone number in a tear drop! :icon_eek:

I have it so much easier though, see? I just have to slip the skinny leg through a slit. One leg. One slit. Crimp. Job done.

But, getting those toes lined up and aiming them at an impossibly small hole? Nah! Sod that. My eyes are way past threading needles with rubber! :blink:

Yes Lesser redpolls OP and i've a chick to ring in a couple of days and i'll try to take some pics of it being done for you to see,they are small like you say and can test your patients :laugh:

Redpoll's, Millet? We have Lesser Redpoll here. Never found a nest though. But, I've ringed my share of Willow Warblers. " AA " rings! Like trying to read a phone number in a tear drop! :icon_eek:

I have it so much easier though, see? I just have to slip the skinny leg through a slit. One leg. One slit. Crimp. Job done.

But, getting those toes lined up and aiming them at an impossibly small hole? Nah! Sod that. My eyes are way past threading needles with rubber! :blink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...

And what make's it harder Pete the little shit's are constantly trying to grab something with there feet..a bit like you or me clenching your fist every second.. :D

• Like 2

im quite lucky in that me mates wife has been ringing birds for years so I let her do all my bully chicks for me but it doesn't stop them having there legs chewed off and rings slipping off. the joys of bird keeping.

If i sway toward's bullies Tong Po i will have to try and devise a plan to hide the ring's till they are too old to be chewed of..my head is ticking as i type.. :D

• Like 1

Well here's some pics of the ringing of a Lesser redpoll i did today,first pic is done to try to show some scale of how small the ring is.

P6051422.jpg

ring and leg it to go on.

P6051423.jpg

getting over the first toes,when it first goes on you have just the toe nail of the middle toe to hold to ease it down so you can hold all 3 toes.

P6051424.jpg

Now you ease it down over the ball of the foot and you can see the rear toe going through the ring.

P6051425.jpg

You slide the ring right up the leg until you can pull out the rear toe and job done.

P6051427.jpg

I didn't swap these eggs for dummies hence why the chicks are different sizes,but here's the whole brood and coming on nicely :D

The small chick is the one i did today the others are already rung.

P6051428.jpg

• Like 7

It even ended up the right way Millet :tongue2::tongue2: and yes it did poop on me :laugh: .

I was going to say it look's like you are popping it's gut's out of it's but hole.. :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1