New Season In France

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know exactly what do you mean by "mix", it means to bite ? If it means to bite, they are more barkers than mixers. Betty, the left one on the pic, is my best jack (10 badgers in 5 hunts this

Some pics from my digging class  

Posted Images

I think it's chocolate. I'm sure I saw a pic of a chocolate one a few pages back

Out with my son Fernand and his young bitch.

Monthelie, 11 months, first dig, first badger. Great hope.

attachicon.gifMonthelie.jpg

It's hard to tell but is it a chocolate coloured terrier or a white terrier covered in soil Blaise ?

Was it a handy dig ?

Out with my son Fernand and his young bitch.
Monthelie, 11 months, first dig, first badger. Great hope.

It's hard to tell but is it a chocolate coloured terrier or a white terrier covered in soil Blaise ?

Was it a handy dig ?

Yes it's a chocolate coloured terrier.

It was an easy dig, lot of roots but just one foot to dig.

• Like 2

What age would you normally start your dogs on badgers Blaise?

Usually we start past one year. We start faster with this young bitch.
We start on badger at the beginning, at work alone, like an older one.
I never trained them, I don't want to put young dogs on fox's cubs. We don't need too hard dogs on badgers.
It's my way, some can do otherway.
  • Like 5

What age would you normally start your dogs on badgers Blaise?

Usually we start past one year. We start faster with this young bitch.
We start on badger at the beginning, at work alone, like an older one.
I never trained them, I don't want to put young dogs on fox's cubs. We don't need too hard dogs on badgers.
It's my way, some can do otherway.

That's interesting. A lot of the old boys here in Ireland back before the silly laws used to start their terriers on badgers too. The badger learned them to show respect but if a young terrier started on fox they often killed them and would then try and do the same to a badger. That's what some of them used to say.

• Like 3

From a purely historical point of view in the UK the opposite could apply. A Jack Russell experienced with badger would sometimes employ heavier handed tactics when used on fox, yet never showing recklessness on the heavier quarry. The terrier seeming to know the respective capabilities of his opponent. So I was told.

From a purely historical point of view in the UK the opposite could apply. A Jack Russell experienced with badger would sometimes employ heavier handed tactics when used on fox, yet never showing recklessness on the heavier quarry. The terrier seeming to know the respective capabilities of his opponent. So I was told.

i dont think thats the opposite to what neil said, but the exact same.

I used to love listening to the lads who were digging long before me and they debating which was better for the youngster to see first, the badger or the fox.

Obviously the same topic of conversation still goes on with our French friends.

The old timers also used to talk of the respect they showed our quarry, the same as the French do but in Ireland it used to be a big NO to kill a badger. They were shifted and the sportsman would hope to meet him many more times because, as they used to say, better game made better terriers.

• Like 8

Great job Blaise. How do the dogs cope in the heat?

Very warm in the North of England at the minute, I'd imagine it's warmer where you are?

Few days with 30°C or 34°C.
But during the week-end, it wasn't so warm. We have to be cautious with dogs (water, shade...). They did the job.
  • 1 month later...