Do I Really Need A Reloading Manual¿¿¿¿¿

I have just started reloading and im not seeing the magor need for a manual as i can get information from online bullet suppliers and powder compainies for what other information do need rather than over all lenght, min and max charge,bullet setting depth???

Yeah wouldn't trust any information off forums or random page's would only use information from powders companies and bullets companies etc.

Well what other information do the manuals give????

Edited by GEOFF.223
  • Like 1

They are very help full i have loads, you can get info online but only use the manufacturers data, i have seen loads online that i would`nt dare try, there are some wacky people out there mate.

+1. Much safer with a book.

There is some rubbish/potentially dangerous stuff on the net, but there is also some excellent data as well, for instance Hodgdon reloading data centre is my first port of call usually, but manuals do give information on stuff that is not always that obvious on the net, so they are a good tool in the reloaders armoury.

been reloading a while now and did the right thing and bought the mec book from the states,,,not a good idea,some of those loads will spin you in a circle,if not they will bust your barrel,i use clay and game as the guy that owns it used to own gamebore,he knows what he is talking about,,,

been reloading a while now and did the right thing and bought the mec book from the states,,,not a good idea,some of those loads will spin you in a circle,if not they will bust your barrel,i use clay and game as the guy that owns it used to own gamebore,he knows what he is talking about,,,

Correct me if I am wrong but I was not aware that either MEC or clay and game supplied components or data relating to reloading metallic centre fire rifle ammunition ???

There are some top sites with datas , vithavori is one, reloaders nest another. As always start low & work up . What cals are you reloading for ??

Personally I have never read a book, or needed to , as its not rocket science, but methodical, accuracy it can be ;)

http://www.reloadersnest.com/

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data

There are some top sites with datas , vithavori is one, reloaders nest another. As always start low & work up . What cals are you reloading for ??

Personally I have never read a book, or needed to , as its not rocket science, but methodical, accuracy it can be ;)

Remind me not to borrow any of your ammo !!!!!!!!

Remind me not to borrow any of your ammo !!!!!!!!

Yeah cause you'll get jealous of how better it is.

I would be catatonic to think that i go to trouble of measuring every load, spend hours sorting out brass, measuring every round and tring countless loads to find that, shootlodge bungs a dipper of some powder or other in to a case thats just had the primer knocked out with a hammer and nail, a new one pushed in with a strong thumb and shoots a clover leaf group at 100yrds while standing!!!!

:laugh::thumbs::laugh::toast:

Never read any book.. :icon_redface:

I rarely clean brass, & if I do it goes in the sink for a hot soak (maybe every 10th reload)

I neck size, check case, case length, prime , powder with rcbs measure +/- 0.25 grain , head seat to length & away I go, I have never worked up or down a load, I just use a middle basis , not slow, not hot........ having various cups, medals & shoot trophy paraphernalia @ 100 , 300 & 1000 yds & still cannot get it right :laugh: bloody sites :laugh:

use the data with the dies , you cannot go far wrong, & have a chat / visit to a local reloader, who been at it a few year but avoid the anal reloader, they send you daft ! :cray:

• Like 1

:laugh::thumbs::laugh::toast:

Never read any book.. :icon_redface:

I rarely clean brass, & if I do it goes in the sink for a hot soak (maybe every 10th reload)

I neck size, check case, case length, prime , powder with rcbs measure +/- 0.25 grain , head seat to length & away I go, I have never worked up or down a load, I just use a middle basis , not slow, not hot........ having various cups, medals & shoot trophy paraphernalia @ 100 , 300 & 1000 yds & still cannot get it right :laugh: bloody sites :laugh:

use the data with the dies , you cannot go far wrong, & have a chat / visit to a local reloader, who been at it a few year but avoid the anal reloader, they send you daft ! :cray:

I agree with the anal bit some people make it out to be much harder than it really is.

Know a guy that real big into rifles and reloading and he said he would be lucky if he cleaned his brass 2 a year, i asked when do you clean it he said when it looks dirty. Makes sense to me.

Still no one has given me the additional info i can get in a reloading manual......