Rigging A Trammel Stop Net

;) ... The net marks on the Haddy's will depend on the inner Mesh size! That's the thing with Trammels, You can rig a smaller mesh between the walls to avoid the scars on the bigger Fish when fishing the Rivers. Ive rigged and used the Herring (neb) Mesh with good results in the past although it does and must look like a Big Wet Blanket coming towards the Fish :laugh: ... But they work just fine,, even better if you ring the Net ;) ...

Tight Lines :laugh:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to make up a couple of trammel stop nets, so I made the square meshed outers yesterday. They are 12" square mesh by 4 meshes deep.     After setting up the lines, on the line that is furthe

Bloody camera !! batteries ran out. Anyway ill try and explain the way I rig trammels. If iam outside then I run a length of braided nylon along the fence, this line will hold the outer walls..  

See there is more than one way to skin a cat.   Seriously though, it does show that you can rig, make or set nets in your own way and the outcome will be the same in the end.   TC

;) ... The net marks on the Haddy's will depend on the inner Mesh size! That's the thing with Trammels, You can rig a smaller mesh between the walls to avoid the scars on the bigger Fish when fishing the Rivers. Ive rigged and used the Herring (neb) Mesh with good results in the past although it does and must look like a Big Wet Blanket coming towards the Fish :laugh: ... But they work just fine,, even better if you ring the Net ;) ...

Tight Lines :laugh:

is that nylon or mono inners? how much is 50md nylon thease days? net marks are a dead giveaway of foul play. ringing the net works ok if moveing water if you have a team that know the score,and you know the bottom is clean not full of snags. do you make comercial gills for boats? if so pm inbound

Its getting harder these days regarding Nylon Sheets, thing of the past now although you can still get it if you phone around, 3z & 4z by 50 md x 200 yards will set you back around £60 per sheet . Have You ever had the pleasure of using Super Nylon (single throw twine)?

Them Irish Lads still use it and its deadly, top stuff made by the Nagaura Net Co ... who are the finest net makers in the world ! If you want I can pass on a few places that should still have it in stock, Soft , supple, and a pleasure to work with as long as the water you are fishing aint to weedy ,, ;) ...

The Brother stitching Machines has put the old hand rigged gear into the past! :cray: ... Cheap as Chips ..

Regards..

Its getting harder these days regarding Nylon Sheets, thing of the past now although you can still get it if you phone around, 3z & 4z by 50 md x 200 yards will set you back around £60 per sheet . Have You ever had the pleasure of using Super Nylon (single throw twine)?

Them Irish Lads still use it and its deadly, top stuff made by the Nagaura Net Co ... who are the finest net makers in the world ! If you want I can pass on a few places that should still have it in stock, Soft , supple, and a pleasure to work with as long as the water you are fishing aint to weedy ,, ;) ...

The Brother stitching Machines has put the old hand rigged gear into the past! :cray: ... Cheap as Chips ..

Regards..

the lads from the forth ( ahh happy days) used to call it irish linnen its is very very nice stuff, i still like my 8 strand milti its like silk! i have a sheet of 6z 5inch and mayyy have a sheet of 3-1/2 inch 3z going if you would be interested in some kinda swap?

as for them feckless stitching machines their..... well feckless!

ime re rigging a net now for turbot and had to do a dozen last year for local lads the hangings were way way too big!

P.S sorry T.C we seem to have de-railed you very good thread

Edited by perthshire keeper
  • 3 years later...

Hi, Newbie to THL,. Got kind of carried away and ordered a load of twine from Germany, with a view to making some trammel nets for daylight Ferreting on a recently acquired golf-course permission that has a lot of Gorse and Whin. Making it difficult to purse-net.

Used to be very competent making purse-nets in spun-nylon. Would love to talk knots & rigging and more recent materials/developements with guys who made original posts on this topic, but just realised it's dated 2013!

Don't want anyone to give away trade secrets, but could certainly use wise advise!

Cheers, Bob.

• Like 1