Rigging A Trammel Stop Net

I had to make up a couple of trammel stop nets, so I made the square meshed outers yesterday. They are 12" square mesh by 4 meshes deep.

2013_0531makingtrammel0012_zpse28082f7.j

After setting up the lines, on the line that is furthest away from me I tack in the outers down the middle so that two meshes hang each side of the line.

2013_0531makingtrammel0001_zps19dbf3a8.j

Next I take the side of the outer that is nearest me and tack it to the line nearest me.

2013_0531makingtrammel0003_zps6483432b.j

while the outer is being tacked it is important that the meshes match on both line or the net will be out of sync when finished. Don't look at the tacks they go anywhere it the knots that matter.

2013_0531makingtrammel0002_zps55f36bf4.j

Next I drop the line nearest me and add the inner meshes to the line furthest away.

2013_0531makingtrammel0004_zps6094a895.j

2013_0531makingtrammel0005_zpsa2a2f427.j

I then put the line nearest me back up and pull the netting into the cradle caused by the outers.

2013_0531makingtrammel0007_zps0797acff.j

I then pull the meshes that are lying the other side of the line furthest away from me and tack them to the line nearest me match up the meshes as I do.

Then the inner meshes are sewn in the same as on the other line and the trammel is finished.

2013_0531makingtrammel0009_zpsb8bb9d7d.j

2013_0531makingtrammel0010_zps83cff9eb.j

2010_0212trammel0002.jpg

TC

• Like 7

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to make up a couple of trammel stop nets, so I made the square meshed outers yesterday. They are 12" square mesh by 4 meshes deep.     After setting up the lines, on the line that is furthe

Bloody camera !! batteries ran out. Anyway ill try and explain the way I rig trammels. If iam outside then I run a length of braided nylon along the fence, this line will hold the outer walls..  

See there is more than one way to skin a cat.   Seriously though, it does show that you can rig, make or set nets in your own way and the outcome will be the same in the end.   TC

Nice wee Post and Pictures T.C. though I rig them entirely different from Yourself.. I rigged up another 25 and a bit yarder Today! If I'm off the Swally the Morra (no chance) then if the Weathers good I will take a few pictures and post them up..

Regards..

• Like 1

Nice wee Post and Pictures T.C. though I rig them entirely different from Yourself.. I rigged up another 25 and a bit yarder Today! If I'm off the Swally the Morra (no chance) then if the Weathers good I will take a few pictures and post them up..

Regards..

As with most things netting,you do it the way it suits youself. I rigged a couple more after those photos were taken, and I seen a way that may have been easier, so I gave it a go and it did work. Evolving and learning all the time.

Get the pictures up, it is always good to see another way of doing anything. :thumbs:

TC

Edited by tiercel

Very informative I was looking for a post like this the other day because I just couldn't envisage how it was assembled. Needs to be pinned so it doesn't drift off as I haven't found a post describing it any where else.

Bloody camera !! batteries ran out. Anyway ill try and explain the way I rig trammels.

If iam outside then I run a length of braided nylon along the fence, this line will hold the outer walls..

002-6_zpsd702112e.jpg

I put more hitches on whilst attaching the walls so there is quite a lot of labour involved but its well worth the effort .

I leave a small space with this hitch as this is where the Hangers will go when the inner netting is added..

003-49_zps04b73e09.jpg

you just keep rigging the walls onto the line until you have the length of net that's required, then repeat the above for the other line.

I like to assemble the Walls first then add the netting later..

Its good practice to have the inner netting in a bin , helps keep everything neat and tidy..

this new photo bucket is utter crap I may add :censored:

008-20_zpsad50f867.jpg

this is a crap picture though you can see that the knots hear are spot on making the wall true in shape..

007-22_zpsa6292cbc.jpg

once the walls are rigged to the lines then its time to add the inner mesh..

feed the netting through the walls so it lays in between the walls

009-17_zps65a8ca6b.jpg

I give up :censored: this photo buckets doin ma Heid in :censored:

014-2_zps6ea48890.jpg

Regards,,

• Like 4

:thumbs: See there is more than one way to skin a cat. :laugh:

Seriously though, it does show that you can rig, make or set nets in your own way and the outcome will be the same in the end.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2

what size is the smaller mesh?

the reason im asking is because i was talking wi mr wilks about these today and not 100% sure if the rabbits head fits through the mesh of if it just balls up..

Edited by smithie