Rigging A Trammel Stop Net

what size is the smaller mesh?

the reason im asking is because i was talking wi mr wilks about these today and not 100% sure if the rabbits head fits through the mesh of if it just balls up..

That net of mines has a 3 1/2" mesh. Not sure of the mesh size of the net tiercel rigged though iam guessing 4" .

• Like 1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to make up a couple of trammel stop nets, so I made the square meshed outers yesterday. They are 12" square mesh by 4 meshes deep.     After setting up the lines, on the line that is furthe

Bloody camera !! batteries ran out. Anyway ill try and explain the way I rig trammels. If iam outside then I run a length of braided nylon along the fence, this line will hold the outer walls..  

See there is more than one way to skin a cat.   Seriously though, it does show that you can rig, make or set nets in your own way and the outcome will be the same in the end.   TC

ok i might make 1 but only 25 yds to try, but whats the advantages of these? and are they for night also.. i dont daytime net and if i ferret i like to use purse nets, some times a shot gun

Edited by smithie

I suppose you could use them for night work, but i wouldn't, more handy for daylight work especially if ferreting on your own.

a good traditional or preset with lots of bagging should gather them bunnies up at night, and be a lot easier to to take them out.

I suppose you could use them for night work, but i wouldn't, more handy for daylight work especially if ferreting on your own.

a good traditional or preset with lots of bagging should gather them bunnies up at night, and be a lot easier to to take them out.

i was thing about stuggling to get them out but still i would like to try one all the same. just to have a valid opinion on them as right now i think there possibly over kill but unsure until i try them

do you get chew through if using the 3.5 inner mesh? i would expect not often as in the day light ferreting you will be on top of the job. but with the 4 inch some will get there head through.

at night i expect you would get chewing in the smaller mesh while walking the field as the rabbit head wont be passing through the mesh

i was thing about stuggling to get them out but still i would like to try one all the same. just to have a valid opinion on them as right now i think there possibly over kill but unsure until i try them

do you get chew through if using the 3.5 inner mesh? i would expect not often as in the day light ferreting you will be on top of the job. but with the 4 inch some will get there head through.

at night i expect you would get chewing in the smaller mesh while walking the field as the rabbit head wont be passing through the mesh

These will suit the day time rabbiter more than the night netter. These are a handy bit of Kit to use and with the smaller mesh these will hold the smaller rabbits which I suppose would suit the Pro-Rabbit Catchers ..

Teeth and claws shouldn't cause the net to much damage if used during the daytime as You have stated that you would be on top of the job...

Regards..

• Like 2

Cheers Bill, i never noticed the post, have had an escapee, my hob ferret has escaped, spent the afternoon hunting for him, a couple of sightings early on, but now nothing.

looks a cracking net, i have a couple of spare fibre glass poles.

neighbor just came to the door a ferret was in her garden, so he was captured.

Edited by Country Joe

I had to make up a couple of trammel stop nets, so I made the square meshed outers yesterday. They are 12" square mesh by 4 meshes deep.

2013_0531makingtrammel0012_zpse28082f7.j

After setting up the lines, on the line that is furthest away from me I tack in the outers down the middle so that two meshes hang each side of the line.

2013_0531makingtrammel0001_zps19dbf3a8.j

Next I take the side of the outer that is nearest me and tack it to the line nearest me.

2013_0531makingtrammel0003_zps6483432b.j

while the outer is being tacked it is important that the meshes match on both line or the net will be out of sync when finished. Don't look at the tacks they go anywhere it the knots that matter.

2013_0531makingtrammel0002_zps55f36bf4.j

Next I drop the line nearest me and add the inner meshes to the line furthest away.

2013_0531makingtrammel0004_zps6094a895.j

2013_0531makingtrammel0005_zpsa2a2f427.j

I then put the line nearest me back up and pull the netting into the cradle caused by the outers.

2013_0531makingtrammel0007_zps0797acff.j

I then pull the meshes that are lying the other side of the line furthest away from me and tack them to the line nearest me match up the meshes as I do.

Then the inner meshes are sewn in the same as on the other line and the trammel is finished.

2013_0531makingtrammel0009_zpsb8bb9d7d.j

2013_0531makingtrammel0010_zps83cff9eb.j

2010_0212trammel0002.jpg

TC

Tiercel what a great post and a very well made net. i think now people can see how much work goes into one of these. the square mesh outers are so much better than the diamond ones being sold by some of the commercial net makers.

Chaps if you want a trammel look no further than TC or netrigger, you wont find better. ANYWHERE.

• Like 1

Hear Ya go Country Joe...

009-17_zps4d90cee1.jpg

010-15_zpsa767c237.jpg

006-31_zps2d2568cf.jpg

010-15_zpsa767c237.jpg

Enjoy Your New Toy :laugh:

Regards..

Bill that's a very nice trammel net, your a true craftsman sir. :yes:

Regards

Les

Have visited Bill saw him knitting his nets, and yes he is a master craftsman. :thumbs:

Hear Ya go Country Joe...

009-17_zps4d90cee1.jpg

010-15_zpsa767c237.jpg

006-31_zps2d2568cf.jpg

010-15_zpsa767c237.jpg

Enjoy Your New Toy :laugh:

Regards..

Bill that's a very nice trammel net, your a true craftsman sir. :yes:

Regards

Les

Have visited Bill saw him knitting his nets, and yes he is a master craftsman. :thumbs:

i'm going up to visit Bill in autumn hopefully. top bloke. :yes: