The "big" Gas Ram Debate ,( Hw90 Vs Theobens )

Just to answer the OP's question as best as I can, I probably went a little off track there...

I've only had a little to do with Theobens own rifles and I've never had one in bits but from my own experiences the Eliminator is a total dog to shoot. Very harsh and snappy to fire and very hold sensative. The trigger's not as good as it should be for the price but that applies to all the Theoben gas rams I've tried.

At one point or another I've used pretty much all of Theobens guns and the only one that really left a good mark on me( other than Rapids, I love those!!) was a mate's SLR as I thought the idea was fantastic but even those had issues. All the others even sub 12 just felt harsh to use. I know they have their fans and I understand why so I guess I may be in for a hammering here but I just think the older 90 has them beat hands down.

Just my opinion.

Edited by andyfr1968
  • 11 months later...

Can I ask for an update, did you go with the Theoben or the HW90. I had a .20 Theoben and shot more bunnies with that than any other air gun but I hated the trigger. Just did not like it. Always planned to get a HW90 in .20 but my local gun shop said 1.77 or 22 only. So I opted for a S410 instead however I still want a .20 non fac HW90. Think it would be the best gun by a mile. I love my old HW77k, just wish they did a gas ram for one of these

• 3 months later...

The best and worst gun I ever owned was a Theoben Fenman in .20cal. I loved it but hated the Theoben trigger is was awful having grown up using a lovely HW77 trigger. I sold it and got a S410 but really want a .20 HW90 but don't know who would or could supply a new one, anyone recommend someone, my local gun shop said 177 or 22 only

I have an original Sirocco, bloody brilliant rifle. Only putting out about 9 ft.lb but sub 5p groups out to 45 yards. I've taken it to pieces a few times, and it has a valve to adjust the power but I never would, it works so well as is. I think it could do with a good service, new seals would almost certainly give a little more power, but I don't know where I could send it for tuning/servicing since Theoben went pop.

• 4 months later...

Imo a .22 HW90 pumped to 20 fpound is a very accurate & smooth airgun to shoot with. I had a couple of these guns in the past, in all the calibers available including the .25 and they are great for shooting vermin up to 50 yards. What you need is patience to practise it and to get used to it. They are accurate as all springers and a gun that is always ready to fire, no spring issues or power loss on a long term. Love them.

You mentioned a tuned HW80 as one of your better options so, I think Chris naturally assumed this was an FAC spring rifle option you are looking at.... If by this rifle, you mean to convert it to FAC gas ram; you can but, putting a gas ram into an HW80 is not always a happy marriage. I don't know why but, some are good in conversion and others are not so.

But if you are seriously going to have a Gas ram with a view to tuning-up the power to FAC, both the HW90 and Theoben Evolution make superb gas ram rifles that can take higher tuning on your ticket. My pal Andy here has a superb .20 calibre HW90 that would make an absolutely brilliant FAC air rifle.

Just be aware that shooting with an FAC rated gas ram usually produces a level of sharp and vicious snap of recoil that can smash your scope. You might need to consider upgrading this too.

Pianoman

get the theoben gas ram... known a few guys playing about with them, theres one notorious one that every one was after..sorry cant think which one but if your intothose you'll know it.

btw..theres still a kick with a gas ram, just no second kick, and in fac theyre still loud as f**k.