22 replies to this topic

#16 jonah.

jonah.

BBQ Chef Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:10 pm

well i have shot from 3 years old im now 14 , i have no land but i have 4 BSA rifles but i just want to know some basics . what is better a pcp or a spring , and why. what gun would you recomend.

i've got 2 PCP's now, a mk2 rapid in .177 and an air arms s200 in .22, both work really well for me, i'm not out all the time with air rifle's, just as and when really, so i find the PCP's easier to shoot than a springer, just pick up and go really, bear in mind though that if you do go PCP, your gonna need some way of filling it, stirrup pump or buddy bottle, can work out pricey when compared to a nice springer.

i'd seriously try and buddy up with someone a bit older though, and think about insurance too, most landowners are gonna be very cautious of letting a 14 yr old lad out on his own on their land with neither an adult or insurance, in fact i think it may be law to have someone with you.

read, read and then read some more.

good luck.

• moxy likes this

#17 moxy

moxy

the last hope mod

• 8,831 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:11 pm

http://www.thehuntin...ing-precharged/

#18 roosika

roosika

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:24 pm

yeah thanks , i was just asking to try get started with my uncle he has a shotgun licence but no gun , i go with my friend to a club and might be going with him soon but i like air rifles alot more , getting on the land is not a problem.

thanks for the info jonah

#19 RubyTex

RubyTex

"I'm not chubby - It's an oversized fleece."

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:56 pm

i want to start hunting but dont have any where to go , any one know anything

There are no rabbits left in Hartlepool the amount of world beating lurchers that are on show  :whistling:

• roosika likes this

#20 hily

hily

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:47 am

try to find a beating job at a local shoot you probably by pellets from a gunshop they will have contacts with local keepers so ask in there when you are spending a bit of money . Some shoots have to keep the vermin down around farm buildings as part of the lease ask if you can join the team who do it offer to help clear any feral pigeons or rats  from the barns with air rifle but make  sure you let them know you know how to avoid damage to roofs with your gun.You can only try if you don't ask you will never know. good luck

• CorkyJohn, Andy_c and roosika like this

#21 j j m

j j m

No2 on the Thl welcoming committee.

• Donator
  • 19,468 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:59 pm

When I first startex many years ago I went around the country side o n my push bike knocking on every farm door and asking every one I saw I got loads of kmock backs but I kept going. Some 30 odd years later ive loads of permission you have to work hard to keep it and a bottle of the farmers or game keepers favourite spirit at xmas and a few nice rabbitss and a bit help around the farm keeps you in the good books good luck mate

#22 charlie caller

charlie caller

Triple Two Fan

• Donator
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:28 am

When I first startex many years ago I went around the country side o n my push bike knocking on every farm door and asking every one I saw I got loads of kmock backs but I kept going. Some 30 odd years later ive loads of permission you have to work hard to keep it and a bottle of the farmers or game keepers favourite spirit at xmas and a few nice rabbitss and a bit help around the farm keeps you in the good books good luck mate

Very good advice, I did much the same as a young lad, I remember being told to return when I was older and had a shotgun, well that is what I did and he remembered me and gave me permission, so stick at it kidda, you will get there.

#23 THE STALKER

THE STALKER

Mr Clumsy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:49 pm

i go clay pigeon shooting and stuff as well as been wild boar hunting but i want to find more for my self

Don't think shooting Boar with a BSA super 10 will cut it .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users