The Beddy X Whippet - The Greatest Dog In The World?

So first off, I don't want to get any ones back up, this is not a dig!

I have seen a lot of posts of late, asking about different lurcher x's, small lurchers, lurchers for ferreting, bushing dogs, lurchers with a decent nose etc.

Seems like 90% of the time, the majority of folk say "Get a beddy x whippet". Now, I know that on here there are a few folk that have them, and have kept a few, and seem to really like them. But from what I can see a lot of those suggesting the x, and bigging it up, don't run one, and are just suggesting it, based upon what they have seen said on here.

They seem to be everywhere, especially first x's. And yet you see so few working beddys? But beddy x pups seem to be available pretty much all of the time.

I have been out with a few, and have been out with some good beddys as well. And to be honest the beddys impressed me more than the beddyxwhips. Apart from the one really, who was a dog like nothing I have ever seen before, and did some stuff that I seriously would not think possible (or sane), and which is often mocked on here :whistling:

For working cover, i'd always go for the beddy over the beddy x whip if I had to choose one. And if I wanted a small running dog of that kind of height 19-21" I think I would always be drawn to either a straight whippet, or a small cur lurcher. I also notice that despite them being the number 1 most recommended breed everytime someone asks about a ferreting dog. . . . . . nearly all of the pro (and very serious) rabbit controllers I know, don't run them.

So I suppose what i'm asking, is can anyone who has run them, and also has experience of running other x's and breeds, shed some light onto why they are so popular? What is so great about them, that anyone wanting a dog under 23" or wanting a dog for ferreting / day work is told to get one? What makes you go back to the beddy x whip? I know there are a couple of lads on here that have had a good few, i'd love to hear their opinions?

Or is it just the THL syndrome. Where a breed (like the gsd x :laugh: ) gets held up as brilliant, then that gets repeated by folk over and over who have seen it said on here?

Cheers all! :victory:

• Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

beddy x greyhound 21"   beddy/greyhound x mike brown whippet 22" ( son of the above)   have worked beddy whippets, both halfers and three quarters but for me as someone else has mentioned th

They are clearly superlative freezer fillers, i've seen one on numerous occasions on a documentary about the yorkshire dales, my assumption is based on the fact that the dogs owner, a mr.greengrass wa

beddy gray first cross mates dog /   .

Posted Images

Don't worry about it pal, its well known nobody on here actually works there dogs, just good banter slagging each other off saying so n so is shite. That's why every other post says PRE-BAN lol

• Like 2

They are clearly superlative freezer fillers, i've seen one on numerous occasions on a documentary about the yorkshire dales, my assumption is based on the fact that the dogs owner, a mr.greengrass was very fat from eating what the dog caught for him.Fact.

• Like 3

Ask ja to show you pic of 1 Ive had he got alot on his comp very versatile dogs that punch way above there wate . [BANNED TEXT] not running the big land I wont own anythin unless got beddy in there. Had R,h,f,d even my smallest of beddy x has been able to do . n in my opinion hard to ruine hence why get advised for first dog. Not world beeting dogs but they will always give 100% and the wooly coat hids the marks

Ask ja to show you pic of 1 Ive had he got alot on his comp very versatile dogs that punch way above there wate . [bANNED TEXT] not running the big land I wont own anythin unless got beddy in there. Had R,h,f,d even my smallest of beddy x has been able to do . n in my opinion hard to ruine hence why get advised for first dog. Not world beeting dogs but they will always give 100's and the wooly coat hids the marks

Alright Paul. I will ask him mate. I was not so much talking about the lurchers with beddy blood in them. I can see how throwing some terrier in the mix can be a handy thing for drive etc.

That's interesting about the hard to ruin bit, I had not thought of that. Would a half x not be pretty strong willed and hard headed?

Can also see the advantage of the coat, hiding the marks, over say a straight whip. But the ones I have seen, although the coat looked good, on close inspection, it was pretty thin and fine. Seen dogs that had shorter coats, have tougher coats if you get me.

you need a thick skin to run a beddy cross these days for a rabbit dog you not go far wrong but theres shite in every cross and my dogs have only me to please and they do that as for cover not going there again proof of the pudding is in the eating these little dogs get slated on here by people who have never ran one them selfs they seen there mates and so on but one thing about these dogs they give you %100 every time out thats all i ask.atb

• Like 1

Yeah they can throw head strong but then I think that wat gives em the will to carry on tbh . They take alot of stick and very forgiving. The trick [BANNED TEXT] em is take make them believe your comand is in there best interest n they respond well then . I would always recom to hav abit of grey in the blood so a mixture of bed/grey/whip to get somethin around 22tts. Maybe 23tts dont need anythin else .

There coat isnt as great as made out but alot better then any whip Ive came across a few of mine hav been hung up [BANNED TEXT] no rips so not to bad. For me coat main bonus hids the marks well and if peeps catch u [BANNED TEXT] em in places u shudnt b peeps seem more forgivin also as they almost feel sorry for the little thins lol and they never guess wat u realy after.

• Like 2

well as you probally know i have 3 beddy xs 2 beddy whippet greys a nd a beddy whippet at 19tts the we beddy whippet is just coming on 3 years of age the other 2 are 4 Now the we beddy whippet puts the other 2 to shame with its nose and fears nothing and is going to come to a sorry end with its strong will to catch it will jump anything But the we bit extra hieght the grey gives is handy the other 2 are only 21tts but the 2 inches helps a bit but if i was to pick between the 3 it would be very hard the we beddy whippet is a greatwe ferreting and mooching bitch you need to see to believe been out with a few lads and they were amazed for her size of the bitch and what see can do

• Like 1

There are quite a few being worked where I am from.....and they have always been a common cross here,always someone local walking about with one or two when i was growing up....its because they suit the ground round this way....nothing more,nothing less...atb...

Thanks for the replies lads! Was hoping that I was going to hear from you to!

Trotter - I would say that these days, on here, the beddyxwhip gets bigged up way way more than it's slated!

Some very good points made, and I agree with a lot of them.

Having worked both and had mixes, would you say that there is any advantage of a straight beddy x whip, as opposed to a beddy/grey or beddy/whip/grey? Or is it just down to the individual personality of the dog in question, such as your wee thing NL?

To be honest, most of what I have seen has been small - around 19-21 ", would be very interested to see bigger beddy x's at work.

One last thing - every dog, no matter the x should give 100% everytime.

your joking jai when have you seen a good thread about the whippet beddy on here :hmm: its not allowed i know lads who will not post on here who have worked this cross for years and good dogs these lads would give good input on here but they will not do not blame them really leave all that to the whippet boys our poor cousins :laugh: in the rabbit game :thumbs: thats a joke before you gang up on me :angel:

• Like 1

ideation the we bitch of mine is of a good strain of dogs orignally from yorkshire the guy moved to ireland when the ban came in and works his dogs constant im a lover of small dogs she is a determin we bitch but i think the we bit of grey helps wouldnt change her though

• Like 1

Trotter - I just see it as pretty much the most recommended dog for ferreting etc. Every time someone asks. . . is beddy/whip beddy/whip beddy/whip lol. I think maybe i'm just lucky with the whippet I have, as I rarely see that much that I would gain from chucking beddy into him, other than a better jacket for hiding sins.

See what yu are saying paul about the x lasting the time. But so has pretty much every other lurcher breed. One thing i DO see is that the beddy blooded dogs are the favourites at the shows, as they look like a 'traditional lurcher'.

I will have to get out and see a few more doing their thing. Know of plenty of good lurchers with beddy in the mix, but not so many straight beddy / whips.

It's interesting that you two (NL and trotter) were the two folk I was thinking of when I stuck this up . . . . .. . there has to be far more folk out there with them, that have some kind of intelligent input to make?