The Beddy X Whippet - The Greatest Dog In The World?

Dan with your negative posts on this thread are you saying that these little rabbit dogs are are not worth talking about ........

Think its more the rabbiting he's got a downer on Socks, not big and exciting enough for a big tough yank! :tongue2:

Not true either. I'd love to have rabbits like that to mess around with when Im bored. Yall can catch more rabbits in a single nigth than I may ever be able to catch in a lifetime. We just dont have them hear.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

beddy x greyhound 21"   beddy/greyhound x mike brown whippet 22" ( son of the above)   have worked beddy whippets, both halfers and three quarters but for me as someone else has mentioned th

They are clearly superlative freezer fillers, i've seen one on numerous occasions on a documentary about the yorkshire dales, my assumption is based on the fact that the dogs owner, a mr.greengrass wa

beddy gray first cross mates dog /   .

Posted Images

Dan with your negative posts on this thread are you saying that these little rabbit dogs are are not worth talking about ........

Think its more the rabbiting he's got a downer on Socks, not big and exciting enough for a big tough yank! :tongue2:

Not true either. I'd love to have rabbits like that to mess around with when Im bored. Yall can catch more rabbits in a single nigth than I may ever be able to catch in a lifetime. We just dont have them hear.

:good:

This thread is about the famous beddy x whippets. Take your beddy grey and run along now. :bye:

so what you on this topic for you no nothing about the breed ya hill billy so jog on and stick to what you no tossa shooting turkeys for ya dinner Edited by Richie87
  • Like 1

I do wonder how it is possible to have such an abundance when it comes to good beddy/whipp and beddy/grey dogs, when everytime pure/ped beddy comes up everyone says there are just very few out there, and are extremely rare.

Are all these very hard to find pure dogs studs to the crosses that are being worked? How is it possible that the beddy whippet is such a good dog when there is such little good blood left to start with?

I'm a fan of small lurchers so not being sarcastic or anything, just a genuine question I've been asking myself.

Edited by Bossie
  • Like 1

I do wonder how it is possible to have such an abundance when it comes to good beddy/whipp and beddy/grey dogs, when everytime pure/ped beddy comes up everyone says there are just very few out there, and are extremely rare.

Are all these very hard to find pure dogs studs to the crosses that are being worked? How is it possible that the beddy whippet is such a good dog when there is such little good blood left to start with?

I'm a fan of small lurchers so not being sarcastic or anything, just a genuine question I've been asking myself.

Plenty of people own and work them so they must be doing something right.. :thumbs:

So first off, I don't want to get any ones back up, this is not a dig!

I have seen a lot of posts of late, asking about different lurcher x's, small lurchers, lurchers for ferreting, bushing dogs, lurchers with a decent nose etc.

Seems like 90% of the time, the majority of folk say "Get a beddy x whippet". Now, I know that on here there are a few folk that have them, and have kept a few, and seem to really like them. But from what I can see a lot of those suggesting the x, and bigging it up, don't run one, and are just suggesting it, based upon what they have seen said on here.

They seem to be everywhere, especially first x's. And yet you see so few working beddys? But beddy x pups seem to be available pretty much all of the time.

I have been out with a few, and have been out with some good beddys as well. And to be honest the beddys impressed me more than the beddyxwhips. Apart from the one really, who was a dog like nothing I have ever seen before, and did some stuff that I seriously would not think possible (or sane), and which is often mocked on here :whistling:

For working cover, i'd always go for the beddy over the beddy x whip if I had to choose one. And if I wanted a small running dog of that kind of height 19-21" I think I would always be drawn to either a straight whippet, or a small cur lurcher. I also notice that despite them being the number 1 most recommended breed everytime someone asks about a ferreting dog. . . . . . nearly all of the pro (and very serious) rabbit controllers I know, don't run them.

So I suppose what i'm asking, is can anyone who has run them, and also has experience of running other x's and breeds, shed some light onto why they are so popular? What is so great about them, that anyone wanting a dog under 23" or wanting a dog for ferreting / day work is told to get one? What makes you go back to the beddy x whip? I know there are a couple of lads on here that have had a good few, i'd love to hear their opinions?

Or is it just the THL syndrome. Where a breed (like the gsd x :laugh: ) gets held up as brilliant, then that gets repeated by folk over and over who have seen it said on here?

Cheers all! :victory:

The problem with a straight beddy for cover is that they may push rabbits out but they wont catch many, and a whippets paper thin skin aint no good for cover, so in my way of thinking a 3/4 Whippet 1/4 Beddy give you the best of both in one neat little package. Pot filling rabbit dogs nothing more nothing less...............tough as teflon and non stick too.

Edited by Magwitch
  • Like 2

Hybrid vigour usually compensates for the lack of quality in the parentage.

How's yours doing magwich,, he still a determined little fecker,, when I saw him run he was little more than a pup,,, but electic quick he was

He's still a very determined dog Tomo :laugh:............ old age is creeping up on him but he still give's 110%, I like animals that earn their keep and he does just that............not prefect by any means but he's a good catch dog.

• Like 1
Guest edrd

:yes: Love the Beddies,...they are superb hunting dogs,.great nose,..almost like a hound :hmm:

I've owned a few and bred a few,...great times,..great days (and nights)...and seen them pull stuff that would seem to be the subject of liars and 'strangers to the truth',..but,.it is not so, for I was there boyo,.I was there... :laugh:

However,,...by the same token,.I have also heard them sing like Pavarotti,...especially in woodland a deep cover,... :whistling:

Obviously not all Bedlington TERRIER hybrids are excitable and vocal,.of course not,.but in my experience,.it is an inherent trait that lies patiently waiting, to burst forth and voice its opinion,...more so, if put under pressure...

For that reason,.(amongst one or two others),..I now choose to favour the cur crosses that I grew up with..

As a type,they have MANY minus points,..but on reflection,.as a Veteran rabbiter,..it is now a case of better the Devil you know,... :laugh:

All the best, PL...[/.

Edited by edrd

Phil ,, how did that bedy grey ,,,collie cross turn out,,, it was on an early vid you did,, was it called moocher? Seemed a promising pup, wasn't it it's first night lamping