The Beddy X Whippet - The Greatest Dog In The World?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

beddy x greyhound 21"   beddy/greyhound x mike brown whippet 22" ( son of the above)   have worked beddy whippets, both halfers and three quarters but for me as someone else has mentioned th

They are clearly superlative freezer fillers, i've seen one on numerous occasions on a documentary about the yorkshire dales, my assumption is based on the fact that the dogs owner, a mr.greengrass wa

beddy gray first cross mates dog /   .

Posted Images

my old mate had them 30 years. i watched them week in week out for years.Good little mooching/ferreting dogs with plenty of drive. some coats on them have been poor some a bit on the hard headed side.He wouldnt entertain collie blooded dogs they think too much that was his opinion. saw quite a few bedy/greys go to this day the best mooching hunting up type was a dog of this breeding.Out of a j.piggin stud to a track grey.lacked a gear to be a daytime hare dog with fair law but caught plenty hunted up.Myself i prefered dogs with collie in them only my opinion.regarding whippets no experience of them but talking to people on other sites they rate them. some of the pics of them i have seen they suprised me with how well built they are especially the ones from the mike brown kennels i have seen some of the arguments on here about him so im not going there.Each man to there own what suits one may not suit another. the beddy crosses i have seen had very good noses a real willingness to hunt/work nice natured dogs in general. :thumbs:

• Like 1

No

so that dog in his video that hesaid was a beddy whippet greyhound wasnt thenlol you must no better or hesa lier

Maud was not out day in day out with Simon and when the dog had to do long runs of day work well ............

Ive seen a couple ferreting and lamping rabbits. They wouldnt suit me purely becuase of there size. Ive seen it a few times beams on the rabbit dog slipped for it to trot 5 yards infront totally confused.

Another thing is alot of people big up a rough coat. But if its the soft sort a dog can get cut just as much,

And also from my experince every single one ive seen with a good dose of bedlington has been a cruncher of rabbits and birds.

Once went out with a lad who had a 3/4 beddie, i was asked to clear some rabbits for a local farmer. The dog was fine with the ferrets until the action started then i saw it quite regurly "strike" the ferrets if the popped out too quick. Not my cup of tea. They have a place in the lurcher world but that place isnt my kennels as i wouldnt want to limit myself. Ive heard tales of them pulling and killing fallow and killing hares with 80 yard slips in daytime. But realisticly most are in my opinion a mooching dog that will not catch in numbers but will alsways put something in the bag ... Atb

Edited by fitchet

I worked a Whippet X bedlington for nine seasons great little bitch, best marker i ever had, you rarely went for a mooch without bringing back rabbit, or Pheasant.

Was impressed, i got a pedigree Bedlington from working parents, but was not half the dog the bitch was.

I have worked the Whippet x Bedlington the 3/4 whippet x 1/4 bedlington, and bedlington x Greyhound. and pure Bedlington.

current pup is Dam, Bedlington X Whippet with a touch of Greyhound.

Sire 23 inch mike brown bred Whippet.

004_zpsa9fbb6a8.jpg

11 Weeks.

Edited by Country Joe

I worked a Whippet X bedlington for nine seasons great little bitch, best marker i ever had, you rarely went for a mooch without bringing back rabbit, or Pheasant.

Was impressed, i got a pedigree Bedlington from working parents, but was not half the dog the bitch was.

I have worked the Whippet x Bedlington the 3/4 whippet x 1/4 bedlington, and bedlington x Greyhound. and pure Bedlington.

004_zpsa9fbb6a8.jpg

11 Weeks.

That should make a handy dog mate!

I would like something similar bred when I'm in the market for another lurcher. Can't fault my beddy/grey but would like the whippet blood to bring the size down a touch.

004_zpsa9fbb6a8.jpg

11 Weeks.

I would like something similar bred when I'm in the market for another lurcher. Can't fault my beddy/grey but would like the whippet blood to bring the size down a touch.

yours is a good size mate...if the ban ever gets lifted.. :yes::thumbs:

004_zpsa9fbb6a8.jpg

11 Weeks.

yours is a good size mate...if the ban ever gets lifted.. :yes::thumbs:

Agreed mate. He is perfect for pre or post ban but if the ban is still in place when I'm looking to bring a pup on I will want something 22"-23" and stick to bunny bashing. Too much temptation with a bigger dog :thumbs:

• Like 2

there a good honest dog for the rabbit you love em or hate thats your choice but there not super dogs but will do a job if fetched on correct mine retrieves live and i will be up for another they suit my needs and ground i have fun with the dog is that not what its about.atb

• Like 1

i have a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy bitch, she is 3yrs old now and 20tts, she has great feet and unlike what alot of people say, she hasn't had any bad injury or skin rips, she doesn't have a thick coat but it's tight (if you know what i mean). she is great at ferreting, lamping, caught a few big rabbits daytime and will tackle things that bite back, if there was anything i would like her to have it would be a few more inches, other than that she does me, there is one thing about these wee dogs, they can and will punch well above there weight.