6 Fat Greenie Chick's

I had to sort of rebuild the canary nest that has the greenfinch chick in it,she's a first time mum so built a poor nest and i just lifted the chick out and stretched it from the inside and even lined it better and it worked,you could use a light bulb or something that shaped but a bit bigger than the nest is now and as long as you don't stretch a hole in the bottom of it it should be ok as the inside lining with still be the same just a bit bigger and the chicks will soon fill that space up.

Instead of building a new nest for them i have raised the side's with thin twig's and made it a bit wider..so it's a bit like a toddler's playpen now.. :D

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1st Lutino out..  

It's when there eyes have been open a few days and there working fully for them will they jump the nest O.P. if you poke about to much,we've all done at some point and sometimes you can catch them u

They are more or less weaned now as i have seen most of them at the feeder's and tucking in for themself's..         Here is a family shot..all the 6 BBC rung chick's sat with the lutino co

:huh: What's with the yellow ones, Millet? Are they going to be some colour mutation types?

And I find it interesting how you guys seem able to mess with your nests without the young 'exploding' ~ or would that still occur, once they're old enough?

(Ah! There's my 'resident' pair of Goldies again. Gathering nest material! :D Every year they turn up. Stick together like magnets. Haven't a clue where they go to)

The cock bird is a lutino (yellow) bird Pete.. the hen is a normal green i also have a satinette coloured hen and i can't wait to see the colour of her chick's..and i suppose they will jump the nest when older if disturbed like there wild cousin's.. :thumbs:

am I right in thinking the lutino younsters will be hens Millet ?

Do you think it's sex linked then Kittle?,as i would have thought they could be either with that pairing but when it comes to genetics "what the feck do i know?" :laugh::laugh:

I,m just gawn by budgies mate and I can remember ino is defo sex linked with them so I would reckon the same with British but I have been gawn a bit scenile since I stopped drinking so " what the fxck do I know " :laugh:

• Like 1

I don't care or worry Fireman as that cock bird is a absolute gem and if i let him go i am sure he would come back to feed these chick's.. :yes: ..infact he is that focust he roosting with one low down on a branch so it is not left alone..awsome stuff and brilliant to see.. :victory: :victory:

• Like 1

His father was the same mate and grand to watch them go from one to the other without missing one when there hid all over,i sure couldn't do it .But don't test the releasing him,returning bit we believe you :laugh::laugh: .

Edited by fireman

It's his mum who's chicks i just rang and she's a belter as well,she was stood almost on the side of the nest when i was ringing them and once i was done,she looked them over like she was counting them and making sure all was ok she settled down with them and at no point i was more than 2 ft away from her.Good devoted mum as she sure ain't like that normaly and good to see the trait coming through with the young.

• Like 1

I must admit i was buzzing when i seen the ring's.. :D ..just going to look a the goldie chick's in a minute to see how big they are..they are 3 day's old so i will have to try and judge it..right this time i hope.. :D

Edited by Millet