6 Fat Greenie Chick's

As some may know my greenie hen has hatched 6 chick's and they are growing at a fast rate..will the nest be ok to hold them all till they fledge as it look's like it's ready to burst open any minute..what's the most anyone has seen in a successful clutch.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1st Lutino out..  

It's when there eyes have been open a few days and there working fully for them will they jump the nest O.P. if you poke about to much,we've all done at some point and sometimes you can catch them u

They are more or less weaned now as i have seen most of them at the feeder's and tucking in for themself's..         Here is a family shot..all the 6 BBC rung chick's sat with the lutino co

Always amazes me how nests hold chicks safely but they've been doing for a while now and the birds seem to cope with it :laugh: ,i'd just keep an eye out for any fallers but they normaly cope ok and if your really worried then lift the chicks out and stretch the nest a bit bigger :thumbs:

3 little chicks from one of my greenie hens today :D.

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

I had to sort of rebuild the canary nest that has the greenfinch chick in it,she's a first time mum so built a poor nest and i just lifted the chick out and stretched it from the inside and even lined it better and it worked,you could use a light bulb or something that shaped but a bit bigger than the nest is now and as long as you don't stretch a hole in the bottom of it it should be ok as the inside lining with still be the same just a bit bigger and the chicks will soon fill that space up.

• Like 1

:huh: What's with the yellow ones, Millet? Are they going to be some colour mutation types?

And I find it interesting how you guys seem able to mess with your nests without the young 'exploding' ~ or would that still occur, once they're old enough?

(Ah! There's my 'resident' pair of Goldies again. Gathering nest material! :D Every year they turn up. Stick together like magnets. Haven't a clue where they go to)

:huh: What's with the yellow ones, Millet? Are they going to be some colour mutation types?

And I find it interesting how you guys seem able to mess with your nests without the young 'exploding' ~ or would that still occur, once they're old enough?

(Ah! There's my 'resident' pair of Goldies again. Gathering nest material! :D Every year they turn up. Stick together like magnets. Haven't a clue where they go to)

The cock bird is a lutino (yellow) bird Pete.. the hen is a normal green i also have a satinette coloured hen and i can't wait to see the colour of her chick's..and i suppose they will jump the nest when older if disturbed like there wild cousin's.. :thumbs:

It's when there eyes have been open a few days and there working fully for them will they jump the nest O.P. if you poke about to much,we've all done at some point :yes::icon_redface::laugh: and sometimes you can catch them up and pop them back in but if they bomb as it were there usually old enough to cope in a aviary or flight where predators and weather don't affect them so much.A few folk i know remove chicks just as there eyes are open and finish them off themselves to end up with steadier birds that can be hand fed etc,i'll be doing at some point this year with some chicks as there really is nothing else than going into a aviary or flight and having the birds land on you and feed from your hand..

• Like 4

I would not mind hand feeding some Fireman but i have a habbit of killing them..that is from my younger day's with young sparrow's and blackbird's..i done ok with a couple of maggies but they are pig's and will eat anything.. :D

• Like 1

Interesting to see your rainbow coloured chicks, Millet. I wonder how come this doesn't seem to happen in the wild? I mean, we have leucistic and albino birds ~ often as not sparrowhawk fodder. But, how come Cinnamon Greenies don't just occur? It's not like you aviary boys are doing anything to cause them. My understanding it that's you'll gleefully perpetuate them. So, why doesn't this happen in the wild?

Cinnamon bird's hardly likely to be a bigger target for a spar than a bog standard young or female sparrow, I'd have thought?

sometimes you can catch them up and pop them back in but if they bomb as it were there usually old enough to cope in a aviary or flight where predators and weather don't affect them so much.

Excellent point, Fireman. Yes. Contained and safe. No f**king cats about and no din' who's going to take them home and then bleat to Yahoo Answers about what to do with them.

Christ, that boils my piss! " I've rescued a baby bird. How do I help it? " Standard answer? " Put it in a box with some straw for a nest. Keep it warm and feed it worms. " No! F**king learn to leave things alone in the first place!!! And as for the one your poxy cat brought in ..... :censored:

Christ, I go incan f**king descent around this time of year!!! shakefist.gif

• Like 1

Get a good hand rearing food and it's easy enough once they have enough feathers to keep themselves warm,i mixed chopped mealworms and chickweed in with it as the one i reared last year got bigger and when he was old enough to start feed himself i put another bird in the cage with him and he just copied it but i still topped him up if he begged for it.

Picture238.jpg

Picture283-1.jpg

Picture282-1.jpg

Picture285-1.jpg

• Like 3

The different colours OP have taken some lads many many years to catch and keep the in their birds and that's why you don't see cinny and other colours in the wild as it takes genetic understanding to pair the birds for certain results and certain colours matched will produce other colours.Cinny x silver =issabel for eg so the chance of that happening in the wild are pretty much zero for two different coloured birds to find each other and pair up and rear a brood successfully.As for cat owners and divs well a ,22 up the ear works i hear :laugh: .

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

Don't start me on cats!!! :laugh:

Gorgeous photo's there. Reminded me; I once came across a site somewhere where a couple had come across a naked, blind, belly and head combination laying on the floor. You know, clearly barely out of the egg sort of thing.

Knowing absolutely sod all, they picked it up and took it home .....

You'll have to take my word for the rest of this, unless you can find the damn thing. Photo's and all; They f**king reared it!!!!! :huh::blink::icon_eek: Turned this thing into a completely normal Goldfinch! How the hell???

Wish to god I could remember where I came across that now. It was the girl who seems to have done the bulk of the work on it. Then they bought it a canary, I think it was, to keep it company. FFS!

Absolutely humbling to read something like that :notworthy:

A mate of mine a few years back reared a starling from a bold,blind chick he's terrier carried in into a adult bird,the bird ended up talking and being able to say a few choice words,w*****r being a favourite :laugh: ,there's a woman in a town not far from me who the rspca etc take found wild birds to and i've seen her rear birds from blue tits to swallows and rerelease the lot of them.and what she don't know about hand rearing ain't worth knowing so any problems i ever have i go see her :thumbs: .

Hand rearing isn't to hard if you have the time and once you and the chick are in the swing of it it should go smooth enough and any half decent bird supply shop will have hand rearing food,i raised that chick on parrot rearing food as it goes and would use the same for all seed eating birds except chaffinches who need live food as chicks.

• Like 3

I raised that chick on parrot rearing food as it goes and would use the same for all seed eating birds except chaffinches who need live food as chicks.

:icon_eek: Good lord! I've never heard of that before! You wait till I see my Trainer again. He walks on f**king water, where birds are concerned. Wonder if he'll know that though!

That's brilliant! :D