After a bit of advice from the Rifle Boys. Iv got FAC for 22LR at the minute but looking to put in for a variation for a Centre Fire.

Iv got alot of permission with Roe. Bloody loads of them. Iv been asked to thin them out and was wondering what my best bet was Calibre Wise. It will also be used as a Foxing Rifle. So ill put in for Fox and Deer. Is 243 my best bet? want something easy to get hold of and not pricey. Cheers lads

Agree with above, there are in my opinion better foxing rifles and better deer rifles but for a single rifle to do both you won't get much better.

Prey tell old chap, just what would you say was a better foxing rifle? bearing in mind a .243 with a 55 grain bullet will out perform even the esteemed .22-250,.220 swift, .204 ruger, collection, and will cost (with home loads) about the same to run, I agree on the deer part (large deer) although a .243 will kill any deer species in this country, and is still a favourite with many highland stalkers, but as a fox rifle, it has no peers,

• Like 1

Agree with above, there are in my opinion better foxing rifles and better deer rifles but for a single rifle to do both you won't get much better.

Prey tell old chap, just what would you say was a better foxing rifle? bearing in mind a .243 with a 55 grain bullet will out perform even the esteemed .22-250,.220 swift, .204 ruger, collection, and will cost (with home loads) about the same to run, I agree on the deer part (large deer) although a .243 will kill any deer species in this country, and is still a favourite with many highland stalkers, but as a fox rifle, it has no peers,

We all have our preferred tools and shooting situations vary a lot, I take loads of foxes in domestic type situations with my rimfres.....BUT.........

As a longer range Fox rifle I am yet to find anything better than my .243 with a light V-Max. :thumbs::thumbs::yes::yes:

I VERY seldom have cause to reach for anything more than my .243 for Deer either, I find it very accommodating.

My .308 was primarily bought as a Boar and Target tool, I take out what I need, and the .308 is rarely taken out for deer.

:thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Since getting my 243 I have never lifted my 222, I can use both for fox and roe up here....but I like the 243 better. Great round, very versatile.

I am sure there was an elephant hunter of old that used to drop bull elephants with a 243?? Wouldnt like to try that myself!

Very neanderthal sir, too overkill for me, if there was a better foxing rifle than the .223 it would be in my cabinet :tongue2:.

I agree that .243 calibre of yours will take all UK deer species. It is especially favoured as I understand by a lot of the female stalkers :laugh::laugh:

We all have our preferred tools and shooting situations vary a lot, I take loads of foxes in domestic type situations with my rimfres.....BUT.........

As a longer range Fox rifle I am yet to find anything better than my .243 with a light V-Max. :thumbs::thumbs::yes::yes:

I VERY seldom have cause to reach for anything more than my .243 for Deer either, I find it very accommodating.

My .308 was primarily bought as a Boar and Target tool, I take out what I need, and the .308 is rarely taken out for deer.

:thumbs::thumbs:

Agreed......... nothing better....... in my 'humble' opinion.

• Like 1

Very neanderthal sir, too overkill for me, if there was a better foxing rifle than the .223 it would be in my cabinet :tongue2:.

I agree that .243 calibre of yours will take all UK deer species. It is especially favoured as I understand by a lot of the female stalkers :laugh::laugh:

Ahh yes you are correct, it is favoured by many female stalkers, as apposed to the 6.5x55 mortar round, the reason for this is quite simple, Women quite often don't like to overcomplicate matters by having to work out the gravitational pull of the earth and its effect on the LOOPING trajectory of a 6.5 :D and I hate to break it to you old boy, but there is a much better foxing round (2 in fact) that fire a .224 bullet the .22-250 and the .220 swift,have a look at the ballistics to see why :thumbs: