Best Breed Of Lurcher To Take Ferreting?

I'm looking at getting a new pup to train up to come ferreting with me iv been taking my saluki bull grayhound but I think he's a bit big at 26 inch and doesn't get through the cover. An ideas and pics of your ferreting dogs cheers.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen a lot of dogs out ferreting, and i've seen good ones from a wide range of x's and types (pure collies, spaniels etc). But the very best I have seen have been collie blooded dogs. Perhaps jus

Same here jai,, all the best ones I've seen,, and owned have had some collie , hurdling type cur,, in the make up

any cross you like as long as its brought up doing it some of the best ive seen are mongrels a bit of this and that prefer the smaller ones

23a0c5a1-4444-4bbd-9d72-5eaf528cd71f_zps

P2170026_zps7544b3b9.jpg

021_zpse58a8c14.jpg

P1270003.jpg

IMG-20121223-00309edited.jpg

eodedited.jpg

Beddy Fooking Whippet...... i dont know about being the Best, but she does me and some of my best memories of the year have been her catching bolting rabbits up on the hills... and she is tough as old nails, caught all them rabbits on that shale without even bruising a toe... does me proud. apologies if anyone has seen pics before.

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of dogs out ferreting, and i've seen good ones from a wide range of x's and types (pure collies, spaniels etc). But the very best I have seen have been collie blooded dogs. Perhaps just by chance. But maybe not.

• Like 4

Yes collie crosses do make usefull ferreting dogs but it depends on what type of ground you hunt best ferreting dog I've seen was a beddy cross you could hardy call it a lurcher more of a cur had a brilliant nose and class in cover which my part of the world is a lot of hedgerow ferreting but if your up on the hills in open burys a steady collie cross would be my choice.

although a 26 dog will catch rabbits it would be a bit too big for me, i also wouldn't like to turn up at some of the farms i do with such a big dog, i always found it easier to get permission with a smaller dog.

there's a few you could go for the choice is yours.

Whippet

Collie x whippet

beddy x Whippet

3/4 Whippet X Beddy. etc.

• Like 1

:hmm: Personaly,...I don't think actual physical size comes into the equation,..although I wouldn't necessarily choose to field a giant lurcher, or by the same token,..a canine midget,...whatever,..a rabbiting dog needs to be quick on the warren...and fully understand the game plan..

For ferreting, be it recreational or business,..all things being equal,..it is all down to attitude,..both canine,..and human... :thumbs:

Truth is, some dogs take to it,.and some dogs just don't...

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 2

All things being equal, which they're usually not, I'd also favour a smaller dog; my current bitch is a tad shy of 18". But when I was younger I used to hang around with a bloke who had a monstrous line bred deerhoundy dog which put my collie x whippet to shame when it came to the nip and tuck of diving in and out of bramble patches where we worked them.

Edited by Neal