partridge question /

well i let the last partridge out there pen today as a couple of them had sore heads with hitting the mesh all the time i been watching the other ones wandering about and i been wondering how the hell i going to shoot any they all seem to lift at once which for me [a shit shot] could be a problem for aiming at one :o as for the pheasants they are doing great a keeper freind said to mix a little split maize in with the wheat in the hoppers ,the farmer was panicing as he has been seeing a few pheasants wandering a bit but i keep explaining that i there at 6 at night and i see them coming back in i will get a few pics up

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest little_lloyd
well i let the last partridge out there pen today as a couple of them had sore heads with hitting the mesh all the time i been watching the other ones wandering about and i been wondering how the hell i going to shoot any they all seem to lift at once which for me [a shit shot] could be a problem for aiming at one :o as for the pheasants they are doing great a keeper freind said to mix a little split maize in with the wheat in the hoppers ,the farmer was panicing as he has been seeing a few pheasants wandering a bit but i keep explaining that i there at 6 at night and i see them coming back in i will get a few pics up

Did you build a pen in a cover crop for them in the end?

Just to remind you yell need to do some weeding :haha: Partridgs like the bare ground under the cover crops so weeds in the cover could be a problem :yes:

• 1 month later...

right we have our first day shooting on saturday but the problem is i not been seeing many pheasants around i see the partridge regular but through the day struggle to see half a dozen pheasants at night there all back round the pen ,but where the feck can they be going lol someone said to me to move the feeders out of the wood with the pen in it as all they will be doing is filling them selves then f*****g of for the day ,all the woods round about and the one [shitty] game plot have feeders in them and are all going down but never see anytrhing around them ,we are feeding wheat with split maize through it is there anything i can do to keep them around through the day ?or is it just a case of cross my fingers

right we have our first day shooting on saturday but the problem is i not been seeing many pheasants around i see the partridge regular but through the day struggle to see half a dozen pheasants at night there all back round the pen ,but where the feck can they be going lol someone said to me to move the feeders out of the wood with the pen in it as all they will be doing is filling them selves then f*****g of for the day ,all the woods round about and the one [shitty] game plot have feeders in them and are all going down but never see anytrhing around them ,we are feeding wheat with split maize through it is there anything i can do to keep them around through the day ?or is it just a case of cross my fingers

sounds like your doing all you can,you should see a marked difference around your bins once all the natural food dissapears for the winter.. as long as you have bins in all the bits your planning to shoot then thats all you can do really.... get there by 7am on sat and sunday and see for your self which direction and time your birds are heading out.... the maize WILL help you alot, f..king grand stuff for the pheashants, can put too much fat on a bird though

• 4 weeks later...
ok fellas i have 150 pheasants in a pen and have 50 partridge on there way i was wondering if i could just put the partridge in with the pheasants or should i build a little pen with a mesh cover on roof ,if i was just to put them in with the pheasants would they just disapear ? i was thinking of just opening the crates and move straight out the pen and let them wander out on there own come back next night once they have found barings so maybe that way they would hide in wind blow rather than f*****g off ? give me some advice please as it the first time i had pheasant and partridge thanks

You should build a seperate pen Dont let them straight out they wont come back leave them in for three days and then release 5 next day let 10 out and carry on like that

• 3 weeks later...

maybe a bit of dogging the day before of during the morning to keep them in your drives as for the partridge leave them alone they need quiete. did you put the pen in a game crop if so i normally put electric fence around mine to stop preadtors so its a safe place and theycan go there at night. ivor