partridge question /

Little lloyd-To lightly clip a bird is to just as well not bother clipping as they will fly just the same ,try it .The first 5 primary feathers must be cut to the growing point or pulled out .The latter encourages regrowth quicker incidently .

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alimac-We have 17 shoots within 20 mile radius and they ALL had clipped early season birds which is what I'm on about .I know this as I helped catch up all their birds and crate them from the local gamefarm .All were clipped by myself and a mate .The percentage was based on feedback from a local college ,lackham college in wiltshire that conducts surveys not based on what happens around you but nationwide .The reason it says "I THINK"in my post is because all data is not in for our area yet but 75 % is the score so far .

You are obviously a much more skilled and experienced countryman/keeper than myself so we wont even go into what happens when predators get into pens as youve seen it once and formed a conclusion . :blink: .

i gave you one example, who said that what i said was based on one lonley experience..not me thats for sure....you should treat early birds the same as the late ones, perhaps the keepers around you prefere a easy life rather than let the pheashant keep its one form of escape from ground preditors... dont try and tell me that none of the 17 shoots have never turned around and said something along the lines of f..k i wished i had not clipped that last batch, a f..king fox got in etc etci still disagree totally with your percentages... but hey your as entitled to your opinion as much as me so may i suggest stick to your clipping and il stick to being a keeper..... :bye:

I used to work with a gamekeeper and spoke to a good few of his mates over the years aswell as a a gamefarmer i used to help out. They all agreed that wing clipping was just lazy for a full time keeper to have done. On a smaller part time shoot it's understandable as the lads also have to work but its a keepers job to be there checking on the birds. Wing clipping causes more stress to the birds when your crateing up at the game farm and takes away their only form of survival if a predator gets into the pen. As the keeper said to me " i'd much rather spend an hour doggin in, than be picking up headless poults". I havent personally worked with birds that have been wing clipped only on the game farm so i cant really say, but this is what i was always taught. Cheers Joe

:clapper::clapper::clapper: oh and foxdropper i like your sarcasum :bye:

I've had 20 odd years working with gamebirds as a keeper, years of trial and error, not clipping will give the best returns, get your habitat right, make the birds want to stay in or very near the pen for at least a couple of weeks then dog them back.

i have worked on estates that have clipped, wing pulled and currently we release full winged. in my opinion releasing full winged is the best. the birds are quicker to roost and i believe it does give them the advantage from predators. one downside is you must be willing to spend your evenings at your pen untill dark untill they settle to roost. pulling wing feathers isn't legal but is the second best option, it promotes faster regrowth of feathers you do not have to wait for the cut stub to moult. i can understand for a part time keeper wing cliiping pheasants may be an easier option

i have never heard of clipping partridge and do not believe it is a good idea. a partridge jugs it does not roost. its defence at night is to fly when disturbed and call each other and regroup in the morning. i would recommend a netted pen for releasing partridge. however with sufficient cover i have released partridge without pens straight into cover crops. if you can walk them out of the crates quietly its ok but can be a bit unerving if they take to the wing tends to be the best you ever see them fly! you could place a few birds in a small pen or coup as call birds.

good luck with whatever method you decide on.

right thanks for all your input lads ,i have built a pen with a net over the top and the parts seem happy enough ,i have put a good sized shelter in it and just yesterday covered the floor of the pen with shavings as the weather has it a bit shitty but the shavings have sorted that and the birds wont get filthy i was told to give the pellets with the wormer in it first same as i did with my pheasants ,my pheasants are looking well alot have tails and the rest are getting there i was told to watch for them pecking each others tails but up till now they are fine the pen they are in is massive theres only 150 in a pen which was built for far more so as long as they not pecking i was told just to leave them in there ,we have put a couple feeders out side the pen which a few of mine and some wild pheasants are using ,this is the first year i have had anything to do with rearing birds and its all a learning curve as long as the birds are doing ok i am happy ,thats about 5 weeks now the pheasants have been in the pen am i right as long as they aint pecking they fine to stay in ? once again thanks

zap.... im glad things are going well for you mate, hope you get a good bit of sport in return

FOXDROPPER you seam to have gone a little quiet on this thread?? thanks for repling to my pm... not..... atleast i had the manners to return the one you sent me :wallbash::thumbdown:

Ive been on holiday for a week B) but judging by the posts it seems not to clip is the in thing .In reply to your pms alimac-Good luck in your venture up north mate .In defence of clipping and the full time keeper -Even a full time or full time team of keepers had more things to do than run around dogging in all evening where I worked , which is why I still advocate it .Any of you keeperes members of the NGO .Ask them about national figures on the subject ?

If you want sacasm alimac then what is a full time keeper doing wasting precious daylight ,or any time ,writing on here .Get and dog those uncut birds in you lazy git . :tongue2::thumbdown:

Edited by foxdropper
Ive been on holiday for a week B) but judging by the posts it seems not to clip is the in thing .In reply to your pms alimac-Good luck in your venture up north mate .In defence of clipping and the full time keeper -Even a full time or full time team of keepers had more things to do than run around dogging in all evening where I worked , which is why I still advocate it .Any of you keeperes members of the NGO .Ask them about national figures on the subject ?

If you want sacasm alimac then what is a full time keeper doing wasting precious daylight ,or any time ,writing on here .Get and dog those uncut birds in you lazy git . :tongue2::thumbdown:

i also feel it is my duty to try to educate people like your self, to the ways of keepering :tongue2: .... even a keeper is entitled to a tea break , i just choose to have a quick look on the site during mine :o my percentages will be there come the end of the season,,,.. :victory::bye: wish you all the best foxdropper :thumbs: alimac

Edited by alimac
  • 2 weeks later...
right lads more info please how do you lads go about changing from pellets to wheat ? thanks zap

first start by putting a few hand fulls next to your bins, with a few hand full of quartz grit, then after a week of doing this put 1/3 wheat to 2/3 pellets (mixed in your bins), then next week put 2/3 wheat to 1/3 pellets(mixed in your bins) then all wheat there after.. make sure you put grit next to your bins, the birds need this to crush the wheat in there gizzard (sp) like the pheashants they may wonder a little during this process but shouldnt be to bad if there is still some in the pens... alimac :thumbs: