Harris Hawk Mews

Could some one please give me some advice regarding the minimum size for a male harris hawk mews.

The bird would be being weatherd in a aviary in the garden during the day. The mews would just be its night quarters I'm struggling to find this information as most of it online is including some space for free lofting and the minimum seems to be 6 x 6

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well thank f--k we all seem to be getting along again chaps,whatever method you use, one thing is clear, its too bleedin long until next season, that's for sure, must be the frustration causing people

I appreciate any help mate honest and i only retaliated over the attitude against it. Apologies to the lad but jus cud of been more helping advise rather than the dissing attitude. Im always up or lea

i kept mine tethered through the moult last year and had no problems with feather growth whatsoever. he is freelofted now but hardly moves from the same perch. personally i dont see a problem with it

Posted Images

I've recently built my aviary for my female Harris.Its 10 x 8 and seems big enough.With a back corner perch,two window perches and a bath in the middle plus a food chute in the side it's simple but should be ok.

It's made from 10mm plastic sheets bolted onto one inch galvanised steel framework.I'll be dead and buried before it rots lol

I've recently built my aviary for my female Harris.Its 10 x 8 and seems big enough.With a back corner perch,two window perches and a bath in the middle plus a food chute in the side it's simple but should be ok.

It's made from 10mm plastic sheets bolted onto one inch galvanised steel framework.I'll be dead and buried before it rots lol

lol you was nealry dead and buried yesteray pal :laugh: 10 x 8 a very good size imho, plenty of room to move about :yes:

Edited by arcticgun

l

lol you was nealry dead and buried yesteray pal :laugh: 10 x 8 a very good size imho, plenty of room to move about :yes:

Might still be yet mate lol

why not free loft, its a long summer to be sat in one spot pal, also what happens if a predator penetrates the mews at leats freelofted she has a chance, likesay no dog plenty leave birds teathered all year around, I reckon its well worth a shot at free lofting just too see if she takes to it, keeps em fitter as well, plus as you fed the bird up it should desire company less and less surely moving ti day to day will increase stress and maybe effect new feather growth?

i kept mine tethered through the moult last year and had no problems with feather growth whatsoever. he is freelofted now but hardly moves from the same perch. personally i dont see a problem with it , hawks arnt wired up looking for things to prevent boredom there just bothered about there next feed. although he did seem to resent the handling when not being flown and showed a little aggression towards me when i was putting him from the aviary to the garden, whereas this year there has been none at all

mines 13ft x 6ft with a swing perch in the middle, bow perch towards the back wall, a thick piece of rope running the aviary length and a 6ft branch running the side of the aviary

Edited by youcanthide...BANG
  • Like 1

why not free loft, its a long summer to be sat in one spot pal, also what happens if a predator penetrates the mews at leats freelofted she has a chance, likesay no dog plenty leave birds teathered all year around, I reckon its well worth a shot at free lofting just too see if she takes to it, keeps em fitter as well, plus as you fed the bird up it should desire company less and less surely moving ti day to day will increase stress and maybe effect new feather growth?

If a predator penetrates her mew the 12g will be out the window lol bit I understand what u saying! I've even heard of people boxing then what I would never do!

• Like 1