Terrier Bushing Problems

i'm new to terriers only ever ad lurchers i used for lamping but i have brought a border lakeland i was tols was a good bushing dog an she is the only problem is some times she will get a sent get very xcited an run off an will only come back if she feel like it is this down to bad training or just a trait of the terier ??

you should be able to stop a terrier mate. there not as deep scent as other breeds i'm not saying it's easy especially when there close on something but it does all boil down to training. Keep working on the recall.

if the dog keeps going off i'd invest in a collar or some sort of tracking system because before you know it you've lost the dog or you find the dog baying in the a hole it shouldn't be if you get my drift. there is allways a lead but i don't think that would suit bushing dog. a good bushing dog should work close by it's no good hitting game out of cover three fields away . put the hard work in and reep the benefits.

davies i know you only trying to help the lad out but you talking nonsense when you say you can't stop a terrier on scent . and a dog that doesn't come back when called can lose you your permission fast and maybe even your liberty if your unlucky. As dog owners were responsible for there actions.

atb R.A.W

• Like 1

i tried giving her alot of praise when she comes back but most the time she won't come no were near me she just wants to keep hunting she is about 2 years olds so i'm starting to wounder if she is ever going to come good an i no want ya mean about her going off getting herself an me into trouble starting to think she might make better pet then working dog ??

i tried giving her alot of praise when she comes back but most the time she won't come no were near me she just wants to keep hunting she is about 2 years olds so i'm starting to wounder if she is ever going to come good an i no want ya mean about her going off getting herself an me into trouble starting to think she might make better pet then working dog ??

If she legs when she hits a scent I suspect not sounds like a promising worker if you can get a handle on her. Not easy I know.

As a kid my cousins Jack Russell used to have a working range of about 2 fields made me chuckle because mine stayed with in a 100 yards unless he hit a scent then he just followed it too its conclusion. Only way I could get him off the scent if he was heading for trouble was to shout rabbit and point in the other direction then he would coming legging it back. Never forget the disgusted look he used to give me when he twigged I had lied

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

well been out with my terrier this morning and whistled her instead of calling her loads better so fingers crossed might be onto something here knocked up a few rabbits an pheasant very pleased with her today just hope it wasn't a one off hahaha :)

well been out with my terrier this morning and whistled her instead of calling her loads better so fingers crossed might be onto something here knocked up a few rabbits an pheasant very pleased with her today just hope it wasn't a one off hahaha :)

glad to hear it :thumbs:

Does she like tennis balls etc?

If so while its summer and the grass is long star playing fetch in it,I keep it in with their dry food to keep some smell on it.

Anyway you will be able to guide the dog to the ball/toy if they're struggling,and when the season starts he will have learnt to look to you to help find things,put her on a few rabbits she can't see but you can and she should start looking to you more.

That's what's worked for me anyway.

• Like 1

you should be able to stop a terrier mate. there not as deep scent as other breeds i'm not saying it's easy especially when there close on something but it does all boil down to training. Keep working on the recall.

if the dog keeps going off i'd invest in a collar or some sort of tracking system because before you know it you've lost the dog or you find the dog baying in the a hole it shouldn't be if you get my drift. there is allways a lead but i don't think that would suit bushing dog. a good bushing dog should work close by it's no good hitting game out of cover three fields away . put the hard work in and reep the benefits.

davies i know you only trying to help the lad out but you talking nonsense when you say you can't stop a terrier on scent . and a dog that doesn't come back when called can lose you your permission fast and maybe even your liberty if your unlucky. As dog owners were responsible for there actions.

atb R.A.W

agree completly, no bushing terrier should be off bushing 3 fields away or how ever far it goes it should stay relativly close to the owner or the dogs that its working with, probally not much training gone into it, but like been said before you know it, the terrier will be lost or some where it shouldnt be .... give it time, iv never had this problem so apart from what iv just said be carefull with it, a bit on the loose side if you ask me,

atb R.A.W

id say thats spot on with all terriers mate lol..........i lost my terrier when he and the lurchers chased a rabbit in the next field...........they came back, he never.......... :cray:

memorycard1069.jpg

i aint ashamed to say i miss the little b*****d every day.........he was a cracking dog in general............but IMO if you want a proper bushing dog you need a gundog..........terriers will fly through cover of course and there will be plenty of terriers out there that can prove me wrong.............BUT with terriers theres always shouting going on as there being terriers :laugh:

PROPER bushing dogs are silent, steady and clever...........they dont just crash through the cover.......they flush it towards you................ :yes:

I've found you're always hollering at the terriers to keep them close by when your out bushing with them, or at least it has been with mine and the other ones I've been out with. :yes: