American Eagle Hollow Points Not Dropping Foxs ¿

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is just an observation. four foxes wounded. and none retrieved. and this is the prefered method of humane fox control. this post shows me that a good dog is a very handy tool to have . as you w

There are very few animals (quarry) in this country that have ANY legal ammo requirements, and remember bullet technology has come a long way in the last 10-20 years.   It is perfectly legal to shoo

American eagle ammo is simply ....sc*te at best !!, avoid & spend the dosh on some respectable ammo. Cheep it is, & for a reason !

this is just an observation. four foxes wounded. and none retrieved. and this is the prefered method of humane fox control.

this post shows me that a good dog is a very handy tool to have . as you would have found and despached a percentage if not all of the foxes. the very first one retrieved would have given you an idea what was happening. this is in no way having a go but shows the value of a good dog for following up after the shot :thumbs:

Hmmm well as an observation from someone who both shoots foxes and has hunted them with dogs,I have yet to see a dog, good bad or indifferent, kill a fox stone dead at 350 yards, the op is using the wrong bullet to shoot them,end of,if he switches back to Vmax,Sierra blitz,Nossler bt, ect then every fox he points at will be stone dead,and I can assure you he will not need a dog to follow them up,they will be turned inside out.In fact I will offer a challenge,I will bet 500 quid that if you put me in front of say 10 foxes,I will assuming I hit them,flatten every one stone dead,there hows that,up for it anyone?

i think you have missed my point. the dog is used to follow up the shot fox/deer. not to chase and kill it. and as someone who also has also shot a few. and dogged a few in the old days. ive yet to see a shooter that cant make the odd mistake. or make an error of judgement. or even just been unlucky . occasionally. obviously you wont need one. but for meer humans they can be very handy.

i'm not anti shooter or pro dog. but the two go together well i recon. atb

A hollow point will tend to mushroom where a ballistic tip really opens up a large wound channel. If the shot misses a vital organ the fox will run on. At night we all know what a pisser it can be finding one that drops on the spot if it is on uneven ground or in stubble. Hollow points suck on fox ;)

• Like 1

Soft targets like a fox are better with a varmint type bullet. Those bullets will just drill a hole straight through leaving a smaller wound and will kill it but just not on the spot unless you hit it in the brain. For me it's ballistic tips for foxes.

Jacketed rounds are designed for larger game like red deer, I would take them cheapo rounds and blast them off down the range.

Edited by ratattack

was using hornady ballistic tips for foxing but got 60 american eagle hollow points for £30 so thought i would give them a go.

rezerod 1.5" high at 100yds as per usual .

the last 4 foxs i have shots have disappeared i thought i was missing them but after the 4th so call miss i went and had a good look in the field for blood and yes found abit of blood so it hit.

also checked zero tonite also tonight and it was fine.

last few fox's have been 80 to 120 yards away and bullet does not seem to fragment very well at that range.

They will NOT fragment very well, they are Jacketed HP, they will peel back and expand mushroom fashion, or go clean through depending where you hit the fox, possibly both.

Just exactly where do you think you were hitting these foxes, because whatever you may think, if you put one of these in the right place the fox will fall down!

"rezerod 1.5" high at 100yds as per usual" WHY, if you are shooting foxes 80-120, why are you not zeroed at 100 yards, and just where is the zero if you are 1.5" high at 100 yards??

average fox seems yo be around the 150-170 Mark. it really zerod at 200 which gives me a all round zero as i know my hold under position at 100yds

all foxes hit on chest

I wouldn't take that as a guide Geoff , there is a lot of difference between skin muscle bone & wood ,

yea ino with the soft point hornady on the wood it was blowing the wood in half width ways

was out on Tuesday night with a mate as he was on the lamp he was able to track it after it hit,

to our amazement it it ran 300+ yards away [BANNED TEXT] stopping, i lazered it at 530 yards was, shot at 190.

getting payed tomorrow so gonna got 3 boxes of hornady ballistic tips.

Well done Geoff getting some ballistic tips. Quarry rat or red deer should be respected.

There are very few animals (quarry) in this country that have ANY legal ammo requirements, and remember bullet technology has come a long way in the last 10-20 years.

It is perfectly legal to shoot solid ammo at any quarry in this country (except deer) and it was not that many years ago that the staple diet for .22lr and Pest control was a solid lead projectile.

The fact is that if you deliver ANY ammo to the right place on any quarry it will fall down, A fox/any animal is not going very far if you deliver a solid/HP to its head or heart lung, there is a strong argument to suggest the likes of Ballistic tips (V-Max types) just makes us lazy in shot placement.

A Hollow point (expanding) will stop any animal as a % better than a solid equivalent, so talk of respect is debatable to say the least, learn to shoot straight would be a better suggestion. :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Took the last 20 of the federal American eagle's out there and measured them just for interest over all length differs by 22thousands from smallest to longest ¿

Shot a few rabbit and the difference in results was surprising some were blown apart and some had a pen hole through ¿¿¿

Took the last 20 of the federal American eagle's out there and measured them just for interest over all length differs by 22thousands from smallest to longest ¿

Shot a few rabbit and the difference in results was surprising some were blown apart and some had a pen hole through ¿¿¿

That isn't that much of a surprise, it can happen with many types of ammo and largely depends on distance and density of what it hits, especially bone/soft fleshy tissue.

A while back I dropped a Muntjac with a .223 55g Wolf HP and look as I might, I couldn't find the way in or out until I skinned it, I have also dealt with other deer with these and the heart was mush and the exit as big as your fist!! :thumbs:

I have a few boxes left of AE (Federal) .223 HP simply because I prefer the SP or V-Max types on the whole for my requirements, I find HP ok, but just don't find much to do with them! ;):thumbs:

Edited by Deker

It sounds as though the quality isn't great on the ammo. A HP should expamd to 1.5 - 2 x calibre so the exit and entry holes shouldn't be the same size.

I agree with Decker throughout this thread. Something with the power of .223 should stop any fox stone dead. If it isn't doing then there's something seriously wrong with the ammo and placement.

I also concur that you don't have a zero if you're 1.5 inches high! Zero means just that zero drop, elevation or latitude. If Zero'ed you should be hitting dead centre + / - usual grouping allowances. I really can't understand why you'd want to be shooting 1.5 inches high as effectively you need to aim your cross hairs 1.5 inches low just to get a true shot at 100 yards.

If you're shooting at 80-120 yards, then zero at 100 and dig out the ballistic tables or go down the range and learn the elevation at 80 yards and the drop at 120 yards. That way you can aim spot on at 100 yards, but slightly low at 80 or slightly high at 120 using the markings on your scope or your own judgement depending on the reticule type. Alternatively, you could dial in compensation!

Either way, with a known zero its much easier to work from as otherwise your compensating for drop + 1.5 or elevation - 1.5.

Edited by Alsone