.17 Remington Rifle

What sort of quarry are you hoping to use it for?

I'm assuming Foxes and ground vermin, both of which it's perfectly adequate at dispatching,

Plus sides would be a very flat trajectory, very fast bullet and a relatively safe round as the bullet is so frangible it will break up on impact with a blade of grass.

Downsides would be the tiny size of the round means it will be affected by a decent wind more than a larger round and factory rounds are quite expensive along with a reputation of being a "barrel burner" because of its very high velocity. Not that it makes a difference to field shooters really as 5000 of any quarry is a considerable number of rounds before you have to replace the barrel.

Any reason you've settled on a .17?

mainly the reasons that you've given ,it's an alternative to my .243 which I use for everything ,i don't like .17 hmr as they are NOT a foxing cal in my eye, I've had a go with .17 rem very impressed on long range bunnies and crows :thumbs:

People knock them and favour .22 rim,other people prefer the17 over the .22 rim,sporting shooter is right I keep both and find I use both, as said long range crow/rabbit or sometimes a opportunistic shot at a fox,it serves me well and it will kill very quickly, good little round in my opinion,

I have a 17fireball and USED to have a .22-250 but sold it as I no longer used it.

The fireball is slower than the Rem but not by much ! I have shot Fox at 220m,crow out to 600. Rabbits have to be head shot as heads are vaporized, and any body shots even chest shots suck intestines out the exit hole.

All the stories of how bad the CF 17's are mainly spread by people who have not owned one !