Boiling Rabbits

only time i boil em is when im having a stew..lol.

Wolves/wild dogs etc etc dont boil em up around the camp fire at end of day..

In this last couple of days hot weather my dogs like nothing more than chewing on a nice rock hard frozen bunny out of the freezer.. I drop the guts and freeze them whole..the dogs spend ages skinning and picking off all the tiny bits of meat and bone..keeps em happy and there teeth cleen.

I also see nothing wrong in giving the dogs a fresh killed treat every now and then...just keep up the regular worming.

for the sake of 20mins boiling them it worth it , ive gone down that road being they (dogs) are of the wolf family crap. And even if reg wormed to see the things crawlling about i feel very sorry for the dogs.Dont forget Vin they aint got a belly like wolf, which will eat any crap, they are domestic animal (not) wild.And if i feed raw rabbit i leave in freezer for 6-8 weeks . then feed it !!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nowadays,..I like to sell my rabbits ,..but when I do get a surplus,.I freeze them for a short while,.then simply chop-chop the carcase, straight down the middle.

Just freeze them and worm regular. No point boiling any goodness out of them.

Opinals are cheap and keep a good edge, i like the stainless steel one

Guest vin

only time i boil em is when im having a stew..lol.

Wolves/wild dogs etc etc dont boil em up around the camp fire at end of day..

In this last couple of days hot weather my dogs like nothing more than chewing on a nice rock hard frozen bunny out of the freezer.. I drop the guts and freeze them whole..the dogs spend ages skinning and picking off all the tiny bits of meat and bone..keeps em happy and there teeth cleen.

I also see nothing wrong in giving the dogs a fresh killed treat every now and then...just keep up the regular worming.

for the sake of 20mins boiling them it worth it , ive gone down that road being they (dogs) are of the wolf family crap. And even if reg wormed to see the things crawlling about i feel very sorry for the dogs.Dont forget Vin they aint got a belly like wolf, which will eat any crap, they are domestic animal (not) wild.And if i feed raw rabbit i leave in freezer for 6-8 weeks . then feed it !!

they can and often do eat rotting meat mate and a bit of the old maggots never did em any harm..lol. . .they are wild animals Ray..no difference between there stomach and a wild dogs stomach.. I dont give my dogs fresh kills ... dont want to encourage the bugger running off and eating everything it catches..

I do freeze my bunnies..but on the odd occasion like I said it cannot hurt.

only problem with boilem them is ..you have to mess about with a stinky old pan and a smelly kitchen..sod that mate.

Nowadays,..I like to sell my rabbits ,..but when I do get a surplus,.I freeze them for a short while,.then simply chop-chop the carcase, straight down the middle.

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 4

Didn't know that about boiled bones being fine, I though it was just any cooked bones were a no no. So are boiled chicken bones OK aswell?

Yep chicken bones are also fine ... ALL bones or ok to feed raw or boiled its only when they are baked in the oven that they change and can splinter ..........

• Like 1

If you boil, you cant give them the bones, as cooked bone is a no, no.

The problem with cooking Rabbit, is, it takes about 3/4 hour, so the meat just falls off the bone.

I now skin the Rabbits and using my Opinal knife, cut the meat off the bone,gives you enough for a good meal.the rest go to the Ferts.

i just put in a freezer bag, date it, and freeze for three wks to kill worms, just take the bags out the freezer and its ready to feed.

You can buy a special glove cheap on the net, that stops you slicing your hand, as your knife needs to be sharp.

Can this be done using another make of knife or does it have to be an Opinel... :D

Must be an opinel everytime,cannot cook rabbit without onion,and nobody minces and slices better than the french :boogy::laugh:

I never give my dogs fresh kill the domestic dog dont have the same stomach as a wolf. I always skin and gut rabbit/hare make a fire outside and boil them up in a old beer barrel with the top cut off throw a bit of pasta in with the rabbit/hare the dogs love it as a treat

I never give my dogs fresh kill the domestic dog dont have the same stomach as a wolf. I always skin and gut rabbit/hare make a fire outside and boil them up in a old beer barrel with the top cut off throw a bit of pasta in with the rabbit/hare the dogs love it as a treat

What bit is different :laugh:

Im not a 100% but think it's something to do with the acid in the wolfs stomach

Im not a 100% but think it's something to do with the acid in the wolfs stomach

a dog fed on a raw diet will develope the acid required to digest it. mine eat rabbits, hare, deer, pheasant,ducks, horse, offal as well as minced chicken, beef ect with no problems at all.

Fella's........

Rabbits good enough straight from the feild guts skin and all........!! But these days i can honestly say that 3/4 wks in the freezer is BEST

Am i soft or the dogs or just i know better theses days? Ill keep my freezer on a roation shift ''For the dog's sake'' :laugh: