Boiling Rabbits

arite lads/lasses if feeding freshly caught rabbits , how long do you think you should boil them in their skins for ? , i know with dirty water they say boil for 5 minutes to kill all nasties , do you think thats sufficient to kill all tapeworm cysts ? cheers - robo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nowadays,..I like to sell my rabbits ,..but when I do get a surplus,.I freeze them for a short while,.then simply chop-chop the carcase, straight down the middle.

Just freeze them and worm regular. No point boiling any goodness out of them.

Opinals are cheap and keep a good edge, i like the stainless steel one

Thanks for replies , but i don't want to freeze , just gut , and boil in its jacket for just long enough to kill any parasites so not introduce worms , then feed. I was just thinking of the minimum length of time to boil . I do freeze majority for 3 weeks . I think it's good to reward with fresh kill occasionally .

If you boil, you cant give them the bones, as cooked bone is a no, no.

The problem with cooking Rabbit, is, it takes about 3/4 hour, so the meat just falls off the bone.

I now skin the Rabbits and using my Opinal knife, cut the meat off the bone,gives you enough for a good meal.the rest go to the Ferts.

i just put in a freezer bag, date it, and freeze for three wks to kill worms, just take the bags out the freezer and its ready to feed.

You can buy a special glove cheap on the net, that stops you slicing your hand, as your knife needs to be sharp.

Boiled bones are fine.. Its roasted bones that splinter..

I would feed raw still and worm on a regular basis.. keep the stink down and stop the Mrs moaning :laugh:

• Like 1

The problem with cooking Rabbit, is, it takes about 3/4 hour, so the meat just falls off the bone.

I now skin the Rabbits and using my Opinal knife, cut the meat off the bone,gives you enough for a good meal.the rest go to the Ferts.

i just put in a freezer bag, date it, and freeze for three wks to kill worms, just take the bags out the freezer and its ready to feed.

You can buy a special glove cheap on the net, that stops you slicing your hand, as your knife needs to be sharp.

Boiled bones are absolutely fine its bones that are baked in an oven that change their consistency and splinter ............

• Like 2

I stand corrected, I thought boiled bones would also splinter, Feeding your Jukel is a minefield of discussion.

We all have our different methods, some of us have a lot of times in our hands, some are a lot busier.

It all depends what works for you.

I have seen decent dogs working that were BARF fed, but I have also seen good uns that had nothing but complete.

Can this be done using another make of knife or does it have to be an Opinel... :D

• Like 2

I do the same thing, it takes about 10 mins max to boil, no bone in for dogs and the ferrets wont waste any meat on the carcase. I hate waste of any sort, your rabbit is giving up its life, I believe the best respect you can give it is not to waste anything. I also skin the head.

Cutting the meat off and freezing it, when you thaw it you then have the choice wether to feed raw or boil, I like the raw option best.

Guest vin

only time i boil em is when im having a stew..lol.

Wolves/wild dogs etc etc dont boil em up around the camp fire at end of day..

In this last couple of days hot weather my dogs like nothing more than chewing on a nice rock hard frozen bunny out of the freezer.. I drop the guts and freeze them whole..the dogs spend ages skinning and picking off all the tiny bits of meat and bone..keeps em happy and there teeth cleen.

I also see nothing wrong in giving the dogs a fresh killed treat every now and then...just keep up the regular worming.