Reloading C/f

Yes danw, I agree expanding missiles are classed in the same way as loaded rounds,and you must not exeed your allowance,I know some people are challenging this but I would not like to be taken to task over it, at the risk of repeating myself I was told that expanding bullets are classed as loaded rounds and therefore you must hold only the quantity stated on your fac, this makes sense, if you go into an rfd and want to purchase lets say 400 expanding bullets, but your fac says you may only purchase 200 you will not be sold 400 by the shop, can you see what we are saying?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes that is exactly what I was told, so as far as I am concerned there are no grey areas, stick to what it says on your allowance and you wont fall foul of the law

I have just spoken to Avon & Somerset and they say you can hold as many Bullets (heads) as you wish as long as they are not made up. That includes expanding.

Right hand dont know what the left is doing,alot of this is police enforcing what they think is right, ie there interpretation of the law which changes from force to force,

Thats how I understand it charlie and how my rfd and flo understand it too seems as always different forces interpret or enforce things differently.

Hmmmmm well I will be sticking to what I was told mate,I think anyone who does otherwise is on the preverbial sticky wicket.

Thats how I understand it charlie and how my rfd and flo understand it too seems as always different forces interpret or enforce things differently.

Hmmmmm well I will be sticking to what I was told mate,I think anyone who does otherwise is on the preverbial sticky wicket.

Perhaps its the way ive worded my posts charlie but I have been agreeing with you in all of them,

in my region and on my fac expanding bullets/missiles call them as you will count as loaded ammunition and are bound by the restrictions of quantity held and purchased.

Yes mate I realise you have, we are both singing from the same sheet, agreed it is not always easy to convey exactly what you mean on a post, these grey areas are a pain for everyone, but to me its black and white, expanding bullets are the same as loaded rounds and that's it.

I must be the lucky one then as there is no grey area in my area!!, if they tell me I can have as many as I want then thats what I will do.

Best of luck then mate, I am curious, in your area does the rfd who sells you your bullets (for reloading obviously) put them down on your ticket or not?

I must be the lucky one then as there is no grey area in my area!!, if they tell me I can have as many as I want then thats what I will do.

There is no grey area here its quite simple no rfd in this area will sell expanding bullets without them being entered on a fac as for buying as many as you want since betweem me and the wife we can hold 1000 bullets of each center fire calibre we have then It would seem that I'm at no real disadvantage being conditioned in this way

Yes they do, i tend to get them for the sportsmans gun centre and they always put them on if they are expanding but not the non expanding. to be honest though i never have more than a few boxes so i never get up to my limit which i think is 600.

Yes they do, i tend to get them for the sportsmans gun centre and they always put them on if they are expanding but not the non expanding. to be honest though i never have more than a few boxes so i never get up to my limit which i think is 600.

Ok so this poses a question then, if your limit is 600 lets say for the sake of argument (and you could ask the rfd) you wanted to purchase 800 would the gunshop sell you that amount? If so then you would be in breach of your FAC conditions would you not? and they would be offending also by selling you over what your ticket states you can have, so here is the conundrum, you travel up to west yorks for instance to a shop I use sometimes, your ticket says you can purchase 600, and you ask for 800 now in said shop they will read carefully the conditions on your ticket before giving you the bullets, he refuses to sell you 800 as your ticket says 600, you reply oh its ok my licensing authority say I can have as many as I want, he refuses to sell them to you, who is in the right/wrong here? Surely the very fact that Sportsman put the bullets down on your ticket, suggests that they are counting them as loaded rounds, and making sure you are not exceeding your allowance, and they must have been told to do that by the police? Can you see what I am getting at?

Edited by charlie caller

Yep i do see what you mean and as i have not brought that many as yet i have no idea what they would do. but if i was going to go and buy an amount that was more than the amount of made up ammo i am allowed to have i would ring first and make sure it was sorted first.

I always understood that your ticket states ammo amounts as made up ammo so until i saw this post i have never thought about it before. the good thing about them writting it on my ticket is that if they didnt i would have none on there at all and when it came round to time to renew the old bill would be asking questions as to my good reason for owning that firearm.

With all this said it is easy to find out as my mate is one of the managers at the sportsmans centre so i will give him a ring to see what he has to say about it.

cant get him to answer the phone at the moment, perhaps he knows its me !!!!!. will try him at work tomorrow.

I can tell you exactly what the sportsman do and that is allow you to buy up to your limit of expanding bullets and no more I have regularaly purchased to my limit at one of there stores for the last 10 years (my estate account was else where before this) and that has always been the case.

I think the crux of the matter is this then, in the eyes of the law are expanding bullets given the same status as made up/complete live rounds? I say they are and so does Danw, others dont seem to think so, this is not me or anyone else being pedantic or spoiling for an argument, this point needs clarification, so I think the only way to do this is ask BASC I wont get chance to do it tommorow, but if anyone else cares to call them fine, if not I will do it monday.

Right i have spoken to the sportsman centre who come under Devon and Cornwall they said no they will only sell what is written on your ticket, so i spoke to Devon and Cornwall and they said that expanding bullets count towards your quota.

Avon and somerset who are my Authority still say they dont count count to your quota. so it looks like if i wanted to buy more than my quota i would have to get them in a shop that comes under Avon and Somerset.

What a crap system!!