Reloading C/f

On My FAC I have .223 ammo - 250 to buy and 300 to hold. Same with .308 ammo.

If I was to start reloading, would I need to buy the correct amount of parts to keep me under this amount, or does it only count as ammuniton once it has been made?

Cheers.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes that is exactly what I was told, so as far as I am concerned there are no grey areas, stick to what it says on your allowance and you wont fall foul of the law

I have just spoken to Avon & Somerset and they say you can hold as many Bullets (heads) as you wish as long as they are not made up. That includes expanding.

Right hand dont know what the left is doing,alot of this is police enforcing what they think is right, ie there interpretation of the law which changes from force to force,

It only counts what live ammo you have made, so dont go over, you can have as many empty cases, bullet heads, gun powder and primers as you want.

That's true unless you have Expanding bullets ! As they count as your total to hold, loaded or just in the box.

ATB

Coldweld

It only counts what live ammo you have made, so dont go over, you can have as many empty cases, bullet heads, gun powder and primers as you want.

That's true unless you have Expanding bullets ! As they count as your total to hold, loaded or just in the box.

ATB

Coldweld

Not sure if that is true as when i was revoked i was allowed to keep the bullets (soft points) and cases but had to get shot of the primers or powder

ATB

Coldweld

Not sure if that is true as when i was revoked i was allowed to keep the bullets (soft points) and cases but had to get shot of the primers or powder

Phil21 is right it counts once it is made up,unless something has changed,that we are not aware about,if so some one could do with asking plod,and clarifying it,

In truth, the above can apply depending on what Police Force you come under when referring to expanding ammunition. In my area expanding heads are always written on our FAC and whether made up or not count towards the max permitted to be held.

As suggested, consult your FEO - better safe than sorry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just spoken to Avon & Somerset and they say you can hold as many Bullets (heads) as you wish as long as they are not made up.

That includes expanding.

Edited by rimmer
  • Like 1

I have just spoken to Avon & Somerset and they say you can hold as many Bullets (heads) as you wish as long as they are not made up.

That includes expanding.

Top man, thanks for clarifiying that not that I am anywhere near my limit,

That includes expanding.

Really well that's not what I was told I was told they count as loaded rounds,that is exactly why they cannot be sent in the post in this country,just another example of different forces applying the rules in their own way,for instance in Derbyshire or South Yorks I can buy bullets for reloading and the rfd does not put them down on my ticket, however go into west Yorkshire and they will not even take them off the shelf if you don't agree to have them marked down on your ticket????? And finally Hawkeye primers are not mentioned on your ticket are they?You can hold as many as you like.

I think a call to BASC for a definitive answer is called for.

Edited by charlie caller

Rimmer is right,

You can hold as many heads (expanding or otherwise), cases and primers as you want. Until they are made into a complete round, they don't count towards your "to hold" count.

You must have a valid FAC in order to purchase primers, which was introduced under the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006, but there is no requirement for them to be listed or at or under the amount of rounds you are allowed to possess.

People often say that you can hold as much powder as you like, this in practical terms in near enough true, but there is an upper limit to how much powder can be stored on a premises without that premises being registered. My memory is a little vague on this point as to exactly how much powder that is but something tells me it is around the 25kg mark, which to recreational reloaders for instance loading a .243 would equate to around 7000 rounds.

As far as I can remember, this is an EU regulation/law which has been in being for a while but I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for breaching it.

As for RFDs refusing to sell you ammunition until you have agreed to have them entered on your FAC is the product of the same Licensing Departments that create all the fear amongst totally legal firearm owners by asserting power they do not have. There's no requirement for anything to be entered on an FAC unless they are complete, functional rounds. You will need to produce an FAC to purchase expanding heads however as they are authorised by a specific condition which, for instance, a target shooter would not necessarily have.

SS :thumbs:

All very interesting my fac states

The cert holder may posses, purchase or aquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition, in the calibres autherised by this certificate

There is then a section detailing max authorised to purchase and max authorised to hold this comes under the heading of ammunition including expanding ammunition and expanding missiles.

Now as the definition of a missile is any object that is forcibly propelled at a target would it not be safe to assume that my cert and conditions dictate that expanding bullets are included in my total max purchase and aquire and as such an rfd must enter them on my fac and I must not exceed the perscribed limits?