Making Long Nets

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leeview prefers his own VULCAN needle.     A Vulcan needle filled with twine.         I have been using the lumis type needle for the last 30 odd years I have some that have seen some work

You have not told me if you have made nets, so I will asume that even though you say you know how to make them, you have never actually made some.   Every thing has its own lanuage, and for you to u

Surprising how it mounts up if you just do a bit when ever you fancy. That was how I started my 50 yarder but then with some time off over Christmas I made some impact on it. So I then got really enth

I have a couple of questions about making longs nets

What size sting for the top and bottom ?

What size string for the actual net part ?

What size holes in the for corner to corner ?

How tall should it be ?

Matt

1.8 to 2mm hollow braid is fine.

Agouti's long net twine. http://www.agouti-nets.co.uk/product/42-500g-brown-long-net-twine

Most people use a 21/8" mesh board that gives you 41/4" mesh size.

With the selvedge half meshes it should hang about 60 inches that would be 13 meshes + 2 half selvedge meshes = 14 meshes deep.

TC

Edited by tiercel

I have a couple of questions about making longs nets

What size sting for the top and bottom ?

What size string for the actual net part ?

What size holes in the for corner to corner ?

How tall should it be ?

Matt

1.8 to 2mm hollow braid is fine.

Agouti's long net twine. http://www.agouti-nets.co.uk/product/42-500g-brown-long-net-twine

Most people use a 21/8" mesh board that gives you 41/4" mesh size.

With the selvedge half meshes it should hang about 60 inches that would be 13 meshes + 2 half selvedge meshes = 14 meshes deep.

TC

I am new to net making just won't to give it a shot and that just confused me more like what is the actual thick ness of the net string its self and how big are the holes in the net it's self

Cheers matt

Guest scramble

Matt, before you start on a long net i'd strongly advise you making a few purse nets first. You've already said your new to net making, if you dont know what materials or mesh sizes mean then your going to struggle from the off. :yes:

You have not told me if you have made nets, so I will asume that even though you say you know how to make them, you have never actually made some.

Every thing has its own lanuage, and for you to understand better I will give you a brief description of the terms used in making nets.

The holes in the net are called meshes.

The meshes are made with a mesh board. Each row that you make is a half mesh. It takes two rows to make a full mesh. Think of it like this, when making a purse net you make the first row on a ring, that is half a mesh. It is only when you complete the second row do you have a full mesh.

A mesh board or gauge is used to make the meshes. The most popular size for a long net is 21/8" and because it takes two rows using the 21/8" mesh board the size of the full mesh is then 41/4".

Each different twine has its own sizeing. The best material for hand made nets is spun polyester, that comes in different sizes If you had looked at the link I gave you in my last post you would see that it was agouti's long net twine which is thinner than his purse net twine and about the best twine available for making long nets.

To make a long net is the same as making a purse net you knit 13 rows on to a ring and just keep knitting till you have the length of net you want once you have that length you can just cut off The ring you started the net on.

Once you have you main body of the net you need to add a half mesh of thicker twine to each side of the net. This is called a selvedge. The selvedge is made of thicker twine or doubled up twine that the body of the net is made of. A selvedge is important on a hand made net mainly because the thinner twine in the body of the net would wear quicker than the thicker twine used in the selvedge. Most people use agouti's purse net twine for the selvedge.

In this photo you can see the green selvedge added to a white bodied net.

2010_0625finishednet0002.jpg

In this one you will see how to set the net up to add the selvedge.

2010_062225ynetselvedge0016.jpg

Once you have knitted the selvedge on one side of the net you turn the net over and do the other side.

Any questions on where we are at so far?

TC

• Like 4

Hi tiercel, very informative posts, thank you! just out of interest how long, on average, would it take an experienced net maker to knit a 50m longnet.

ATB

LOL How long is a piece of string? In actual knitting time around about 35 to 40 hours but that is constant knitting. The best way to do it is to pick it up when you feel like knitting then put it down when you have had enough. It usually takes me a couple of weeks to make a 50 yard net but I have had some that take over a couple of months to complete. Just focus on the end result and the time is soon forgotten.

TC

hmm thats a lot of hours! i suppose once you get into the flow, its not too bad. maybe ill try some purse nets first!

ATB

It does sound a lot, but lets say you knit 3 hrs per week. In 12 weeks you could have a 50 yard net. So going by that you could make 3 in a year just by spending 3 hrs a week knitting.

If you could spare an hour a day knitting you could have one finished in 5 weeks.

Go on you know you want to.

TC