You may get the odd one or two crows with Larsen using a top entry trap and a call bird.

Your success won't last that long as they are extremely clever birds.

A side entry trap would be more favourable but any onlookers soon learn quickly.

I caught my first crow today in my new trap, but the call bird has escaped some how. I've now altered the lid to make it more secure, but I think it was released rather than escaped. My question is, can I use the captured crow as a call bird or does it need to be from a different area to be effective?

The crow you have caught will be fine as a call bird. Just keep it well fed and fresh watered. I have found crows not to fair too well in a Larsen. Unlike magpies.

Try not to let onlooking crows see you tinkering with the trap too much and feeding your call bird. Or emptying it if you have a catch.

Stick a small chain and padlock on the call bird section or put a screw in it to lock. You don't need to drive the screw home just a couple of threads will be fine. May hinder any potential anti if that is the case.

We made a ladder trap for the shoot a few years back , we had loads of the blacks .A keeper pal told me never go near it during the day , always empty it at night which we did & it worked a treat ,then it stopped catching completely .We found out one of the guys on the farm had been "helping" by emptying it if he see any birds in it .they steered well clear of it then .We put it away then for a year before trying again but it was never as effective , they are one clever bird , know wonder the corvids do so well ..