The Coypus Are Back...

Yup, same critter. Just wish I got paid $5 per tail, like some of the rednecks on YouTube...

According to Wikipedia "There are two commonly used names in the English language for Myocastor coypus. The name "nutria" (or local derivatives such as "nutria- or nutra- rat") is generally used in North America, Asia and throughout countries of the former Soviet Union; however, in Spanish-speaking countries, the word "nutria" refers to the otter. To avoid this ambiguity, the name "coypu" (derived from the Mapudungun language) is used in Latin America and Europe."

2euro 50 per tail in france this year bud.

Which department are you in? I asked our Mairie earlier in the year if they were paying a bounty for coypus, but they didn't know what I was talking about. No surprise there, since they're generally pretty clueless!

Could be the Federation de Chasse, or Association de Piegers. If no joy ask the Prefecture. I dont think its France wide.. Had a dig elsewhere & they wanted the fox tail (1 dug and 1 bolt) as they get 7 euros apparently!

Fish if I send you the tails from now on, can you pay me back half in cider?

Cheers both. I use the .410 on big ones in the trap -- no. 4 shot sorts them out -- but they've got big, heavy skulls, so using a shotgun at range just tends to annoy 'em. They're quite canny, so they spot or smell you coming a mile away -- I can stalk up to about 25 yards, but after that, they have some kind of sixth sense that bad things are headed their way. At 25 yards, buckshot or slugs would probably do the trick...

As for terriers, no -- they tend to attack terriers. I've seen one attack a labrador before, and I've heard stories about smaller dogs being badly wounded -- they're nasty beasts when cornered, with huge teeth that you can see in some of my earlier videos.

Puppy fodder

Sounds like a deal! I checked with the fédération de chasse in my department, and there's no reward for offing coypus. Maybe I should release the ones I trap into the town lake... or the Maire's back yard... :thumbs:

Gonna skin one out tomorrow, see how good a job I do of it... Missus makes a few bits and bobs so she might be able to put it to good. Few mates feed the flesh to the dogs.

Cheers. Been a quiet year though -- haven't seen another since that last one I shot back in April. I even found and fixed a huge hole in our perimeter fence, under the surface of the stream that feeds the lake in winter, but no coypus have taken advantage... I guess the local hunters have been busy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...