Idiots! Shot Heron

Reading through the past few posts about Herons and Cormorants it seems obvious that one or two people are slightly confused about what is constituted as a pest. In fact the term 'pest' is often misused and in many cases only considered a 'pest' for three reasons:

1. It has no natural preditor due to its previous extinction (usually caused by man). As result the numbers have increased dramatically to such an extent that it has a detremental effect on other species within the eco system

2. It has a negative effect on industrial farming operations resulting in a net loss of crops (think Wood Pigeon) or where their large numbers can lead to the spoiling of stored foodstuff be it for animal or human consumption. Ironically it is often intensive farming practices that cause an increase an in a particular species' numbers i.e large scale arable farming with high crop yields (but that's another story).

3. It is a non-native species that outcompetes or damages our native flora or fauna

In the case of the humble Heron, it has no natural preditor (other than perhaps the fox) and has developed methods of avoiding predation through nesting high above the ground in trees.

The Heron is only doing what it does naturally, it's a preditor, and a native one at that. To those people who complain and say "the bloody thing took all my koi carp" I say tough! Is it natural for you to house non native fish in an artificial pond? No.

I'd say in the case of Herons and Cormorants, it is man that has caused their population to increase through both commercial fisheries and hobbyists alike. Like intensive farming, they have increased their available food source and numbers have reacted accordingly

Should the poor Heron suffer as a result of man's desire to house fish? I don't think so. Control is needed in some cases but only where it is considered truly detremental to the eco system. That's why DEFRA are there to decide what is appropriate through their licencing schemes.

If I saw anyone shooting Herons without a licence I'd shop them straight away

the humble rook also has no natural predators but ive lost count of the amount ive seen shot and posted on here as crows ?? even though the rook does no damage to agriculture at all it is still persecuted by the uneducated, if your livelyhood put the food in your kids mouths and herons and cormorants were jeopardising this then perhaps you would have a different view to the one you hold now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tall end of it whether people like it or not is it happens.... Irresponsibility!! The people that shot it probably don't even know what the general licence is and I'd bet a months pay they only

First off, the OP is right to be annoyed that someone shot a heron on his permission, whichever way you cut the cake. If the bird had been flying to garden ponds and someone shot it with an airrifle

That's different all together. Why should a heron that's causing bother not be shot? Do you have a problem with pigeons or crows getting shot, if not then what's the difference?? I'm not interested ab

Reading through the past few posts about Herons and Cormorants it seems obvious that one or two people are slightly confused about what is constituted as a pest. In fact the term 'pest' is often misused and in many cases only considered a 'pest' for three reasons:

1. It has no natural preditor due to its previous extinction (usually caused by man). As result the numbers have increased dramatically to such an extent that it has a detremental effect on other species within the eco system

2. It has a negative effect on industrial farming operations resulting in a net loss of crops (think Wood Pigeon) or where their large numbers can lead to the spoiling of stored foodstuff be it for animal or human consumption. Ironically it is often intensive farming practices that cause an increase an in a particular species' numbers i.e large scale arable farming with high crop yields (but that's another story).

3. It is a non-native species that outcompetes or damages our native flora or fauna

In the case of the humble Heron, it has no natural preditor (other than perhaps the fox) and has developed methods of avoiding predation through nesting high above the ground in trees.

The Heron is only doing what it does naturally, it's a preditor, and a native one at that. To those people who complain and say "the bloody thing took all my koi carp" I say tough! Is it natural for you to house non native fish in an artificial pond? No.

I'd say in the case of Herons and Cormorants, it is man that has caused their population to increase through both commercial fisheries and hobbyists alike. Like intensive farming, they have increased their available food source and numbers have reacted accordingly

Should the poor Heron suffer as a result of man's desire to house fish? I don't think so. Control is needed in some cases but only where it is considered truly detremental to the eco system. That's why DEFRA are there to decide what is appropriate through their licencing schemes.

Shop away if it makes you feel better but ive always believed that sort of talk comes back too bite you on the arse at some point. I view a pest as something that is having a financial impact on someone and if it is the person loosing out should be allowed to protect his stock. These fisheries that you seem to dislike...I'm sure they give jobs to people, ? Certainly more important than a f***ing heron!!

• Like 1

Shop away if it makes you feel better but ive always believed that sort of talk comes back too bite you on the arse at some point. I view a pest as something that is having a financial impact on someone and if it is the person loosing out should be allowed to protect his stock. These fisheries that you seem to dislike...I'm sure they give jobs to people, ? Certainly more important than a f*****g heron!!

Total waste of time :D Missed the point completely

• Like 1

i cant believe how many folk are willing to run to the police or arsepca. ive a family of foxes i occasionally feed during cubbing and hard weather. despite hunting them with terriers for many years :blink: if i see someone working terriers around me should i call plod . i dont think so.

did you aproach the lads in the van. you said they looked shifty. i'm 5 foot nine and twelve stone wet through. but i would have been over to see what the feck they where up to :thumbs: keep your eye's peeled and your ears to the ground. if your around the area regular you WILL. come across them. have a word in there shell like :yes: and teach them the error of there ways.

ps remind me not to join an air rifle club :icon_eek:

• Like 2

the humble rook also has no natural predators but ive lost count of the amount ive seen shot and posted on here as crows ?? even though the rook does no damage to agriculture at all it is still persecuted by the uneducated, if your livelyhood put the food in your kids mouths and herons and cormorants were jeopardising this then perhaps you would have a different view to the one you hold now.

Couldn't agree more ref Rooks, in fact they can be viewed as beneficial.

Funnily enough I'm from a large farming family and feel I have a pretty good sense of perspective :thumbs:

i cant believe how many folk are willing to run to the police or arsepca. ive a family of foxes i occasionally feed during cubbing and hard weather. despite hunting them with terriers for many years :blink: if i see someone working terriers around me should i call plod . i dont think so.

did you aproach the lads in the van. you said they looked shifty. i'm 5 foot nine and twelve stone wet through. but i would have been over to see what the feck they where up to :thumbs: keep your eye's peeled and your ears to the ground. if your around the area regular you WILL. come across them. have a word in there shell like :yes: and teach them the error of there ways.

the heron could have been shot anywhere and flew to where it was before its demise :hmm: the lads in the van could have just been having a spliff and got a tad paranoid being watched :laugh: :laugh:

Couldn't agree more ref Rooks, in fact they can be viewed as beneficial.

Funnily enough I'm from a large farming family and feel I have a pretty good sense of perspective :thumbs:

so how do you feel about pigeons/rabbits/rats etc? do you coming from a farming background believe as they all have natural predators they wont be a problem, ie if you leave the foxs. stoats, weazles, sparrowhawks and buzzards alone :hmm:

the heron could have been shot anywhere and flew to where it was before its demise :hmm: the lads in the van could have just been having a spliff and got a tad paranoid being watched :laugh: :laugh:

thats my point paulus. i dont agree with shooting the heron. they are on my list of animals and birds i want to photograph. but to phone plod could bring a lot of trouble to the doors of a gay man having an extra marital afair :D

• Like 1

thats my point paulus. i dont agree with shooting the heron. they are on my list of animals and birds i want to photograph. but to phone plod could bring a lot of trouble to the doors of a gay man having an extra marital afair :D

i found a cracking heron`y looking tree, unfortunatly there`s only one thing missing.....................................fooking herons :laugh: :laugh: to be fair i did see 7 sitting in it once :laugh:

Im 6'3 and 17 n half stone about 20 wet through. But that does not give me the right to go and ask two lads what there doing parked in a public layby if there van is taxed , mot , and insured then even a police officer cant go poking his nose in as they are in there right to drive off if they have done no wrong or been reported for something.

Its pretty clear to me iv started a topic where i can not win over asking some advise its gone miles out of the subject as the heron was doing no wrong on private land.

Shop away if it makes you feel better but ive always believed that sort of talk comes back too bite you on the arse at some point. I view a pest as something that is having a financial impact on someone and if it is the person loosing out should be allowed to protect his stock. These fisheries that you seem to dislike...I'm sure they give jobs to people, ? Certainly more important than a f*****g heron!!
Total waste of time :D Missed the point completely
Must be cause its a Monday and I was out at the weekend. Gon be a nice chap and explain it for me. Thanks.

Im 6'3 and 17 n half stone about 20 wet through. But that does not give me the right to go and ask two lads what there doing parked in a public layby if there van is taxed , mot , and insured then even a police officer cant go poking his nose in as they are in there right to drive off if they have done no wrong or been reported for something.

Its pretty clear to me iv started a topic where i can not win over asking some advise its gone miles out of the subject as the heron was doing no wrong on private land.

are you 100% sure it was shot there and not just died there :hmm:

You've put it on a public forum to be discussed. It has been and some people agree with some aspects of it and some don't.

• Like 1

Unless it was shot and carried there the two shot would of been fatal on impact boss

Unless it was shot and carried there the two shot would of been fatal on impact boss

ive seen a phesant shot in the chest with a 17hmr thats had its insides removed via its arse end fly 70/80 yards before it fell :thumbs: