Hunting Greyhounds?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Members on here have tried ex track dogs but usually say they turn their brain off when running, and are very prone to injury. Raising a greyhound from a pup and having it grow up to respect fences t

at the end of the day they are hunting animals in the purest form............if the pitbull is muhammed ali then the greyhound is usain bolt............get the right type and you wont be having any wo

I have a 2-year-old coursing bred bitch here...she came here after ferry and transporter from Ireland...journey to my place...other dogs...strangers....flopped onto a beanbag...and looked liked she's

Posted Images

wont jack usually.as for injuries you takes tour chances like any other dog.i hunted 1 for 3 seasons it killed hares as if they were going out of fashion then disaster struck the tail gate on the estate car flew open on the road home from a hunt.goodnight vienna. :cray:

Members on here have tried ex track dogs but usually say they turn their brain off when running, and are very prone to injury.

Raising a greyhound from a pup and having it grow up to respect fences trees etc. and how to run properly?? I'd guess that would be a differant matter. Wouldn't mind giving it a go if some wants to give me a greyhound pup! lol

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone say a greyhound jacked! they've just got too much drive to even think of backing off!! lol

• Like 4

Members on here have tried ex track dogs but usually say they turn their brain off when running, and are very prone to injury.

Raising a greyhound from a pup and having it grow up to respect fences trees etc. and how to run properly?? I'd guess that would be a differant matter. Wouldn't mind giving it a go if some wants to give me a greyhound pup! lol

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone say a greyhound jacked! they've just got too much drive to even think of backing off!! lol

there prey drive is unreal to the point of self destruction

Had a lovely wee track bred bitch from Ireland - got her last summer...started to hunt her about with the big dogs and she did okay - she would actually follow the other into whins and could use her nose a bit - but she shattered foreleg just days before last Christmas while in hot pursuit...put her to sleep...she wasn't the biggest 25" and 54lbs just not robust enough for the ground I run...pity as she was a really nice natured wee thing...might have been a good brood one day...

Had an ex flapping bitch away back in the early 80s one of the best fox dogs I've ever seen...killed first fox she ran...nightmare with stock and terriers though... :thumbs:

I like having a greyhound about the place...totally uncomplicated... :thumbs:

Had a lovely wee track bred bitch from Ireland - got her last summer...started to hunt her about with the big dogs and she did okay - she would actually follow the other into whins and could use her nose a bit - but she shattered foreleg just days before last Christmas while in hot pursuit...put her to sleep...she wasn't the biggest 25" and 54lbs just not robust enough for the ground I run...pity as she was a really nice natured wee thing...might have been a good brood one day...

Had an ex flapping bitch away back in the early 80s one of the best fox dogs I've ever seen...killed first fox she ran...nightmare with stock and terriers though... :thumbs:

i had one it was like having a fooking donkey laying infront of the fire at night :laugh: :laugh:

i had one it was like having a fooking donkey laying infront of the fire at night :laugh: :laugh:

I have a 2-year-old coursing bred bitch here...she came here after ferry and transporter from Ireland...journey to my place...other dogs...strangers....flopped onto a beanbag...and looked liked she's been here all her life...totally laid back and takes everything in her stride...sleep, eat and shit.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

I have a 2-year-old coursing bred bitch here...she came here after ferry and transporter from Ireland...journey to my place...other dogs...strangers....flopped onto a beanbag...and looked liked she's been here all her life...totally laid back and takes everything in her stride...sleep, eat and shit.... :thumbs:

youve got to love em :laugh:

Glad this has come up I'm buying a greyhound pup soon(just wanting for it to be born) I ain't sure what to do with it yet thou I planed on working it but a few lads have put me off the idear saying there injury prone and daft. So my plan is now to raise it like a lurcher untill it's say 12-15 months old and if it's too daft for the field I'll put it on the flaps or run it on nottingham.atb

I had one, 22 month ex race bitch, taken off for interfering while racing. I spent first few weeks training it . Heel,down, stay ,jump and recall plus ferrets without any real problem. Lamped it, day time hares, took fox no bother. Even learned to creep down the beam to squatters and once a hare hadn't seen us and came loping along towards us, I slipped her, she crept up the hedge like a collie until it spotted her and turned tail. Ran her into old age without injury ,then retired her to family where she lived out her life as a pampered house pet. Bring one up like a lurcher, you've got a lurcher!

Edited by romany52

at the end of the day they are hunting animals in the purest form............if the pitbull is muhammed ali then the greyhound is usain bolt............get the right type and you wont be having any worrys on empty bags............. :thumbs:

• Like 2

I had one, 22 month ex race bitch, taken off for interfering while racing. I spent first few weeks training it . Heel,down, stay ,jump and recall plus ferrets without any real problem. Lamped it, day time hares, took fox no bother. Even learned to creep down the beam to squatters and once a hare hadn't seen us and came loping along towards us, I slipped her, she crept up the hedge like a collie until it spotted her and turned tail. Ran her into old age without injury ,then retired her to family where she lived out her life as a pampered house pet. Bring one up like a lurcher, you've got a lurcher!

have you ever ran one against a pure deerhound or saluki romany???

have you ever ran one against a pure deerhound or saluki romany???

Yes, as it happens I had a pure deerhound bitch at the same time, the greyhound was far superior .I also ran fen dogs ( Merlin, Eve ) compared to them , Greyhounds got no stamina worth a mention. Seen very few Salukis run, the ones I have seen, run much the same as fen dogs do.