• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest SKINNER

what about taking him to the vet and explaining the situation and maybe getting some sort of sedative for him for a couple of weeks to break the habit he has got in?

i know people can get sedatives for there dogs and have used them myself on bonfire night, and they dont have any lasting side effects

Skinner, I've been giving Binx Scullcap & Valerian tablets, for thunderstorms, and Serene-UM for bonfire nights, none of which had a very good effect on him, also tryed Dawg's Biscuits, which he loved but didn't do much, these are herbal, and I wouldn't feel right giving him stronger vet chemicals, even if it was short term,

Mike came around yesterday and tried a few things, he put Binx in with the girls, and he then howled for Zak, he tried Zak in with the girls and Binx was quite for a while then started to whine again when the girls kicked him out of thier bed, even though it's more than big enough for all of them,

we left them all in together while we had a cuppa and waited for Binx to get himself in the bed with them all, he howled and whined, and then Lexi my 10 month old bitch pup of Chance, went for Binx when he tried to get in the bed again, so Binx then stood at the gate howling :no:

we put Binx and Zak back into thier kennel and the howling continued, Mike said that he's just one of them whippets who is right at the bottom of the pack, and can't handle the postition, Binx thinks he should be higher up but the pups have took over him since they have grown and he's not happy about it so howls,

he also said that in the 30 years of looking after Mike Browns whippets, he's only once before seen such a highly strung out dog, and advised me to find him his own house with only him as top dog or a more submisive dog to who Binx can be top dog, otherwise put up with this howling and risk losing my other dogs or my house :cry:

so I've made the very hard decision to find him his perfect home, I do have a couple of people in mind first before I advertise him, as I'd love him to go local so I can see him from time to time :cry:

I think this is the best decision for Binx as he's really not a happy bunny being bottom of the pack, it doesn't make it any easier though :cry:

Thanks Molly, :drinks:

at the end of the day it's Binx I've got to think about, I was being really selfish now I think of it, I've put him through a lot over this last month for my own feelings and was totally blinded by them, I've now seen the light so to say, but as you mentioned it doesn't stop the pain :cry:

"whats good for the dog is the most important thing "-"Its binx Ive got to think about ".

Ladies ,its THIS way of thinking that has got this dog in this habit in the first place .IT IS NOT THE DOG THAT NEEDS TO COME FIRST ,IN ANY SITUATION .LET A DOG CLIMB HIGHER THAN YOURSELF IN STATUS AND PROBLEMS WILL RESULT.

I guarantee that dog would not be whimpering or dare to bark in my kennels and yes a bit of physical chastisement would have been involved but .............................

The reasons for the noise and behaviour that you have been given by various people are far too complex.Dogs are not humans and do not have our emotions .The reason for the behaviour and sole reason is that you have allowed it to happen in the first place and then fussed over the results ,reinforcing it with the dog -noise- attention .Its as simple as that .

YOU ARE PACK LEADER AND YOUR WISHES ARE TO BE OBEYED .

Of course a dog is below the humans in the household, when we are talking about this situation though i think beating the dog would have only made it worse not better. A confused dog would only get even more confused not knowing what the hell it had done wrong?

Some of us ladies dont all treat dogs as babies and give them human emotions, you 'ist' you :laugh:

Thinking about a dogs psychological state does not always mean giving them human emotions ;)

MOLL.

well said Molly :thumbs:

I have never hit a dog and I don't intend to start, sorry but that's the way I am, and wouldn't my other 4 dogs be doing exactly what Binx is doing if it was down to me spoiling them to much? they have all been brought up the same way, I don't hear a peep out of the others unless the ruddy cat's next door wind them up, :censored:

thanks for the advise anyway Foxdropper :)

Molly -I agreee that physical chastisement does not always work ,a bucket of water in the dogs face would of nipped it in the bud though .[after seperating the other dog ]Not a half hearted chuck either ,stinging hard .

I am cut to the quick that you think I am a chauvanist though so as a punishment I'll ask you not to leave the sink for the rest of the week . :clapper::clapper::clapper:

well said Molly :thumbs:

I have never hit a dog and I don't intend to start, sorry but that's the way I am, and wouldn't my other 4 dogs be doing exactly what Binx is doing if it was down to me spoiling them to much? they have all been brought up the same way, I don't hear a peep out of the others unless the ruddy cat's next door wind them up, :censored:

thanks for the advise anyway Foxdropper :)

I wish I had some solution to give you,I thought of a couple of the remedies others have suggested,Sky cat has a lot of knowledge and experience,as have some others ,really just posting to commiserate with you,at the end of the day you certainly seem to have done your best for the dog,so whatever the outcome,you have nothing to reproach yourself for,,obviously the situation cant go on,but however it pans out you tried,All the best.INAN