you may well fall foul of officials because of this dog and as a result be made to dispose of a few more you may have to face the possibility of rehoming the dog for the good of the rest :( a sad fact but one you should consider :yes: more to the point who would take a dog with those bad habits :no: good luck with what ever you decide :thumbs:

that's what's really worrying woodga, and has led to many sleepless nights, he's so highly strung and has so many faults, this morning I have recieved a complaint letter from the council about the noise, and I'm on pins at the moment!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ferret15, thanks for that,

yes I have tryed Binx and his kennel mate back into the house, but he's still the same, and I just don't have the room for 5 dog's in my house anymore, he is right next to and can see the 3 girls in the run ajoining him, I haven't tryed all 5 back in the house as I've just mentioned there's no room,

if this is the case about the pack thing, how can I resolve it?

ok this is a long shot and i dont know if it will work but its worth a try can you send him to stay with a friend for a few days (i think if he cant hear or smell everyone else he will settle) dont go near him in this time and then go collect him when you collect him dont make a fuss of him just calmly put him on the lead take him home dont even make eye contact,(dogs read your body language better than most humans) put him in his kennel and walk away when hes calm go back and say hello dont allow him to jump up. my theory is that if you remove him from the pack totally and then bring him back in a different situation he will adjust accordingly. its you that has to change. dont treat him so much like a baby you are confusing him and work more on the training if you haven't got time to work with him my advice is you will have to get rid of him. it sounds like you love your dogs and would only get rid of him as a last resort if you try what i have suggested and he continues to howl i dont see what choice you have but to re home him. i know this sounds a little out there but he sounds like a very sensitive dog so subtle changes will make the world of difference.

Thanks Ferret15,

it's funny you mention him going to stay with someone else as my cousin was saying the same thing a week ago, she's willing to take him in for a bit to see how he is,

she's not got any other dogs and it's just her and her boyfriend, I'll give her a call and ask if she's still willing to take him in for a few days, and then I will follow the rest of the advise you have given, anythings worth a shot right now!

thanks again!

well Binx went to my cousin's this morning, I phoned up after him being there for a couple of hours and she said he was cuddled up to her on the sofa watching TV :icon_eek: I've tryed this and had him on the sofa with me and all he did was this high pitched whine,

I'll phone up a bit later again to see how he's doing, I hope that when he settles in a bit more his howling doesn't come back.

Guest ITALLION STALLION

well what a day I've had :censored: got the collar this morning read all the instructions and put the collar on low range and fitted it to Binx's vocal cords,

tina, if you got the collar yesterday morning , read the instructions and put it on how can you have charged it properly as the dogtra ones take between 10 - 12 hours ??? the collars which make a noise are the canicalm ones . when the dog barks it gives a sound off before the correction . the dog therefore learns what comes after the sound and it normally starts to work as skycat has said . i have tried both makes of collar on a couple of noisy bull terriers of mine ( after having hassle with the neighbours ) i think some of them work on some dogs and on some they never will :blink: good luck with yours

Edited by ITALLION STALLION
well Binx went to my cousin's this morning, I phoned up after him being there for a couple of hours and she said he was cuddled up to her on the sofa watching TV :icon_eek: I've tryed this and had him on the sofa with me and all he did was this high pitched whine,

I'll phone up a bit later again to see how he's doing, I hope that when he settles in a bit more his howling doesn't come back.

lets hope when he comes back he accepts the new situation. every time a dog leaves the pack they have to reassess their place in the pack (thats why they greet you so over the top on your return ) with any luck he will accept his place in the kennel when he returns. get your friend to let him in the garden and shut the door for a few Min's to see how he reacts if its badly maybe you will have to have him in the house when he returns instead of the kennels see how hes doing and go from there good luck :thumbs:

Tina -I hope you will solve your problem but I would not have the patience or desire to work on a dog that did not tow the line .Your not going to like this but -IF the dog comes back and re-offends then for the sake of yours and everyone elses sanity ,have him PTS.Some dogs just do not fit in with what you require and frankly never will . .At the end of the day ,you have to look at things as a whole and if something dosnt fit then remove it but dont pass the dog on to be a problem else where .

ITALLION STALLION, I realized that afterwards, I'd only charged it for a couple of hours, maybe that's why it was so low voltage even on high, but Binx still reacted the way he did even without full charge, and thats why Lexi wasn't bothered one bit by it, I'm not even going to go there fully charged on Binx,

Ferret15, thanks for the help, I'll be following your advise when he returns on Sunday, by the way, Binx is a different dog, so my cousins say's, he's been for a walk (kept on a stretch lead) and did try to run to another dog and my cousin said he wouldn't come back until she pulled him back, but in the house he's been good, he whined for 20 minutes when they got back from the walk but then settled down again :thumbs:

Foxdropper, that's the last thing on earth I'd do, I'd make damn sure that I found him a home where they understood the problems he has and are willing to take him on, he's a good dog really I know he is deep down, maybe the problem is me? as he seems to be fine at my cousins, but she can't have a dog full time as her boyfriend is alergic to them, but I understand what your saying, thanks for the advise.

Guest nfp20

I'd be tempted to leave him at the cousins... so far you've taken him out of the house that he's used to and popped him in a kennel (some dogs just don't kennel well) shoved an electric collar on him which has hurt - I'm surprised he still trusts you after doing that albeit for the best of intentions.

One thing you can do is pop a radio on sometimes they like a little comfort and familiar noise, make sure he's warm dogs like greyhounds and whipets feel the cold more than other because of their lack of coat. Start reading up on separation anxiety.

Good luck.

I'd be tempted to leave him at the cousins... so far you've taken him out of the house that he's used to and popped him in a kennel (some dogs just don't kennel well) shoved an electric collar on him which has hurt - I'm surprised he still trusts you after doing that albeit for the best of intentions.

One thing you can do is pop a radio on sometimes they like a little comfort and familiar noise, make sure he's warm dogs like greyhounds and whipets feel the cold more than other because of their lack of coat. Start reading up on separation anxiety.

Good luck.

I don't think you've read the whole thread, yes I took him out of the house to a kennel (with his best mate) he then came BACK INTO the house with his best mate and was still the same, even whining sat on the sofa with the family, the collar had only been charged for 2 hours, I tryed it myself on low and high, and also popped it on to my other dog Lexi and she barked without it affecting her at all, fully charged I wouldn't even go there with Binx,

he's not cold they have heatlamps in both kennels, and also coats, that's the first thing I bought when looking into pure whippets, separation anxiety happens when a dog is stressed when he's away from the family/or one member of it, Binx is still the same when ALL the family are sitting down to watch TV and he's whining over the TV volume, lying on the sofa, and if it was that, my cousin would have had a nightmare with him, but he's been fine there,

I'm begining to think it's me, I'm to soft, I talk to him and fuss him when he starts to whine, and when he howls I'm still giving him attention by telling him no or giving him treats to shut him up for a bit while he's eating them, I did ignore him though for a whole day, but he continued until midnight, I couldn't take it anymore and gave him a pig's ear to chew for a bit of quiet, (which lasted an hour) all the dogs also have loads of chew toys, balls, rope toys, in there runs with them,

Chance my bitch to whom I've had the longest and who I have bonded with the most, I haven't heard a peep out of her, nor none of the other 3, it's just Binx, this is the big part I don't understand :wallbash:

Good luck.

I don't think you've read the whole thread, yes I took him out of the house to a kennel (with his best mate) he then came BACK INTO the house with his best mate and was still the same, even whining sat on the sofa with the family, the collar had only been charged for 2 hours, I tryed it myself on low and high, and also popped it on to my other dog Lexi and she barked without it affecting her at all, fully charged I wouldn't even go there with Binx,

he's not cold they have heatlamps in both kennels, and also coats, that's the first thing I bought when looking into pure whippets, separation anxiety happens when a dog is stressed when he's away from the family/or one member of it, Binx is still the same when ALL the family are sitting down to watch TV and he's whining over the TV volume, lying on the sofa, and if it was that, my cousin would have had a nightmare with him, but he's been fine there,

I'm begining to think it's me, I'm to soft, I talk to him and fuss him when he starts to whine, and when he howls I'm still giving him attention by telling him no or giving him treats to shut him up for a bit while he's eating them, I did ignore him though for a whole day, but he continued until midnight, I couldn't take it anymore and gave him a pig's ear to chew for a bit of quiet, (which lasted an hour) all the dogs also have loads of chew toys, balls, rope toys, in there runs with them,

Chance my bitch to whom I've had the longest and who I have bonded with the most, I haven't heard a peep out of her, nor none of the other 3, it's just Binx, this is the big part I don't understand :wallbash:

there is another option, a well insulated windowless kennel, the sound proofing helps with the noise and the total darkness tends to settle a dog a lot faster along with no sight or sounds of his fellows.

i know its a bit like solitary confinement but it has worked for me in the past.

you can then very slowly allow the dog to re-integrate into your "pack", if the noise starts up again then back in the sound proof box he goes.

i have known a few ultra noisy wippets (mainly due to being line bred and very highly strung) and i must say that they were a lot more trouble than any of them were actually worth, but that said you are obviously very attached so i hope that this has been of some assistance. B)

yes Thank you ginga john, it's something that I haven't thought about, worth a try indeed :thumbs: and yeah Binx is very noisy and higly strung, unlike any other dog I've ever had, :blink:

and I thought my last dog (a dobermann) was hard work due to being very intelligant and her getting bored really easy, I had to make up new challenges for her every day, otherwise she would become distructive, and stressed out, but at least that was something I COULD do, and did it for nearly 10 years until she had to be PTS through cancer :(

everything I've tryed with Binx hasn't worked :no: ................so far anyway, I'm still holding a candle for him though :thumbs:

I suppose your optimism and patience is to be applauded but if any dog dosnt sit right with what I want then its history .No matter what breeding or work it has done .Never forget YOU are the pack leader and as such every dog is below you and thrives on discipline and routine .Sounds like youve already made a rod for your back .

PS not wrote to annoy or upset anyone ,just facts .