• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well what a day I've had :censored: got the collar this morning read all the instructions and put the collar on low range and fitted it to Binx's vocal cords,

my god what a nightmare!!!

every time he howled, the collar would kick in and it was like he was being murdered which started the collar off again of course, he was flipping out like crazy, crying and howling like he's was being tourtured slowly!!

I thought he'll get the message in a minute, but no, he's thick as shite! this went on for 1 hour! I couldn't take it any longer and removed the collar, give him a rest for a bit (during this time he continued to howl and whine) and tryed again,

10 times worst this time! he was throwing himself on the floor, crying and howling constantly and dragging him self along as dogs do if they have had a bath and want to get dry, left it on again until I get a knock at the door from the RSPCA!!! :censored:

the neighbour had said I was killing Binx!! I explained to the man what I was doing and he looked at me as if I was a sadist!! told me loads of horror stories about the collars and said if he had another complaint he would seek advise as what action to take from his superviser!! :angry: (he also gave me advise as how to stop Binx from howling and whinging, to which I replyed I've already tryed)

so £75 down the drain, and still a howling dog :( I'm having to look into the possibility of putting him up for sale, unless anyone else has another idea??

yes, he can do the basic commands, sit, lie down, give paw, but has never been good at recall, fetch, and stay,

and if he see's another dog out walking he barks aggressively if on the lead and if not on the lead he will run up to them, no matter what I say or do to him, and most the time if the other dog turns on him he runs off howling with his tail between his legs, as if he's just been attact but the other dog has only growled a warning at him,

if he see's a rabbit he will give chase and is very fast but will not go in cover to get them so has never caught one, he's very highly strung and get's excited around kids and often play nips them, even if you tell him a firm NO....... :wallbash:

its hard to judge ,just on what youve put up on here,but ,and im only trying to help,i just watched youre video of youre dogs,and i dont know if it was you or youre cousin but 4 times one of the dogs jumps on to one of you,and i couldnt see any sort of repremand, to be honest they look really well but from that video they look like they need a bit more discipline,and control,you asked and from what ive seen ,thats what it looks like. :) i hope that helps. :victory:

totally agree with you! my dog's are spoilt, and because they are my dog's I'm the only one who trains them, but I also have 4 kids too and they must come first, the dog's get a twice daily walk and are fed twice a day too,

the only spare time I have to train them has been going on the pup's more than the adults at the moment, they do still jump up on my cousins who I go for walks with but not as much now, were getting there,

but they are not the problem it's only my pure bred fawn whippet that whines and howls, the rest of them know the word shut-up and no, but he completely ignores me, even my brother and husband, the pup's and Chance also come straight back when called, and also stay, sit, lie, fetch ect......and all have been trained the same, that's why I'm so puzzled over Binx, he's never listened or learned, maybe he's just stupid??

Leaving an anti bark shock collar on for an hour when it's having no effect is torturing the dog: continuously shocking a dog that is not responding in the correct way: FFS you need to try wearing it yourself for and hour and screaming at the top of your voice at the same time. :censored::censored:

Surely you read the intstructions where you put the collar on to begin with only on 'beep' so it gives a warning tone only to begin with: that way the dog learns to associate making a noise with a beep happening. Then you switch it on properly so the beep warns, then the shock if the dog doesn't shut up.

These collars are only humane and effective if used properly as per the instructions.

Edited to add: if you really want to keep the dog and have an obedient animal that is a pleasure to own I'd advise contacting Jim Greenwood: he's da man when it comes to sorting out problems of just about any sort. ( you can email him on dogman2@btinternet.com )

Edited by skycat

I did try it out myself first, it was on low and I get a worst shock off my son's 'shocker' game!!! I even tryed it on it's highest myself and that wasn't even that bad!!!

so don't go shouting your mouth off at me, :censored:

Binx screamed even when I tryed the water pistol method, and shook like a leaf when I tryed banging 2 pans together for the noise method, he freaks out in a thunder storm and is sick everywhere and trembles when he hears fireworks!!

I also put the collar on Lexi as she barks at the next door neighbours cat walking along the fence, and it didn't bother her at all, even when it shocked her, she continued barking!!

btw it doesn't beep, it has seven variable intensity settings from low to mid-range on a dial on the collar, none of which are to bad IMO.

Edited by Tina

I've edited my post with asome more info. and I apologise for shouting at you: I just saw red when I saw that you'd left the dog like that for an hour: every creature's reaction to pain is different and I would have thought that it would have been obvious that if the dog shook like a leaf when spurted with water then an electric shock would have sent it over the edge! And seeing what you said about how he reacts to thunder and loud noises he is obviously the last dog in the world that will respond well to shock treatment. Most likely just make him even more hyper and over sensitive than he already is.

Edited by skycat

Thank you for that Skycat,

I'm just totally stuck as to what to try now? I only tryed the collar as a last resort, given all the positive comments off here, needless to say, I won't be putting it on him again.

Lexi is still wearing it and has been barking at the cat's next door still, (not fazed one bit) it's set on low, I'll just let her out of her run instead to get the :censored: bloody things!

tina you say you have take him back in to the house is that alone or with his kennel mate ?

in the wild dogs howl to reunite the pack it a way of saying I'm here where are you. if you have tried him and his mate and it hasn't worked how about all of them as he will see you your kids Hubie and dogs as part of his pack maybe he can not get his head round the pack splitting up.

tina you say you have take him back in to the house is that alone or with his kennel mate ?

in the wild dogs howl to reunite the pack it a way of saying I'm here where are you. if you have tried him and his mate and it hasn't worked how about all of them as he will see you your kids Hubie and dogs as part of his pack maybe he can not get his head round the pack splitting up.

:clapper::thumbs:

you may well fall foul of officials because of this dog and as a result be made to dispose of a few more you may have to face the possibility of rehoming the dog for the good of the rest :( a sad fact but one you should consider :yes: more to the point who would take a dog with those bad habits :no: good luck with what ever you decide :thumbs:

ferret15, thanks for that,

yes I have tryed Binx and his kennel mate back into the house, but he's still the same, and I just don't have the room for 5 dog's in my house anymore, he is right next to and can see the 3 girls in the run ajoining him, I haven't tryed all 5 back in the house as I've just mentioned there's no room,

if this is the case about the pack thing, how can I resolve it?