Going To Attempt A Trigger Job On My Ruger77/22

i have just got a ruger 77/22 bolt action lovely wee rifle BUT the trigger is like trying to pull my mum out of tk max, so im going to attempt a trigger job which involves a bit of filing and stoning reshaping the seers if i make a mess there are easy replacment parts but as a fitter and using such tools to a within a 0.001" im fairly confident it will work fingers crossed.

has any one else tried a diy trigger job

Not done a ruger but if you have mechanical sense then go for it. Some people think only professional gun smith work is safe, I prefer to know exactly what has been done.

The key question is of course safety, check out 'bump test' and 'slam fire'. I had a problem onece that if the trigger was pulled with the safety on the gun discharged when the safty was released. You need to check the safety still works as well of course. Check for these things as part of your anual once-over as well.

Some parts may be case hardened, if it happens you dont know what ramificatioins that has then maybe you shouldn't start the job.

On the subject of slam fire, lets all point our guns down when we close them, or close the bolt, just in case.

Another thought, you can probably reduce sear enguagement by adding a shim which may be easier to reverse if you over do it. Thats what we do with the CZ452 for which there are a number of places it can be installed.

Go for it if you feel confident Geoff,im a engineer too and work to some delicate tolerances daily,but a few year back I messed with a trigger in a bolt action 410,lets say I have never touched a trigger since,unless its in kit form,something went bad maybe a file to many at the wrong angle im not sure but after,it slam fired and also shot if banged i couldn't see how i could resolve it so feeling a bit of a tit,i took it to be disposed of it was a liability,i decided then im not a good gunsmith candidate lol,i can repair ,modify ,make or design most things,obviously triggers not included,and it didnt look that hard os so i thought,let us know how it goes,be carefull,if your wondering why I did this on a 410,well I thought it was way to stiff like couldn't hardly pull it

atb

Edited by TWOTWOTHREE

Polishing is the key word, fine abrasive papers or fine finishing stone then 'crocus' paper for the smoothest finish at 'micron' level.

I would have a very close inspection of how the 'stages' in the trigger work together, usually just removing the rough machine marks or casting marks is all thats needed.