Should Chickens Be Laying

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bought my lad a few point of lay hens yesterday (18 week old) 1 egg there this morning.

Should work RT, somewhere unfamiliar and in the open.

get in the pan, finally one egg today just a small one but hopefully a start at last. cheers fellas

could be that something is scaring them, a fox mooching round during the night or something, if they get stressed they wont lay and it can take a while for their bodies to kick in again, try leaving some eggs or golf balls in the nest box, the sight of eggs can help kick thing off for them. As long as they are being fed decent layers pellets they should be getting all they need, keep clear of the cheap shite though!

2 of mine have gone broody while the other 2 keep laying eggs so at least it's something.

I've locked the two broodys hens in an old dog cage in the garage to try and bring them round to normal again, is that right?

There are a number of reasons why your flock are not laying first of all how old are your hens? What breed are they? the second thing is have they started to go red in the face :icon_redface: if so keep an eye out for the ones that are and she will lay first. Are any of your flock acting funny or been broody? what are you feeding them? is there a good sized nesting area for them as some hens when stressed will lay there eggs in the coop and not sit on the egg to form therefore the rest of the flock will eat it. Iv got a flock of warrens with 2 black rocks and there all laying iv been getting a egg a day from them all winter :toast: apart from the odd day.

There are a number of reasons why your flock are not laying first of all how old are your hens? What breed are they? the second thing is have they started to go red in the face :icon_redface: if so keep an eye out for the ones that are and she will lay first. Are any of your flock acting funny or been broody? what are you feeding them? is there a good sized nesting area for them as some hens when stressed will lay there eggs in the coop and not sit on the egg to form therefore the rest of the flock will eat it. Iv got a flock of warrens with 2 black rocks and there all laying iv been getting a egg a day from them all winter :toast: apart from the odd day.

that was a cracker thoe :rofl: my women went red in the face the other day holy god a thought she was gonna lay a egg,,,,,, would you catch yourself on smooth finish lol :laugh: :laugh:

my laying hens go bright red in the face before they start laying its a sign i look out for myself and my ko,s have also done it.i think he gave some good advice

that was a cracker thoe :rofl: my women went red in the face the other day holy god a thought she was gonna lay a egg,,,,,, would you catch yourself on smooth finish lol :laugh: :laugh: