Should Chickens Be Laying

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bought my lad a few point of lay hens yesterday (18 week old) 1 egg there this morning.

Should work RT, somewhere unfamiliar and in the open.

get in the pan, finally one egg today just a small one but hopefully a start at last. cheers fellas

I used to keep black rocks, great layers normally and whatever the time of year they were laying, I had five hens and would normally get five eggs a day. I gave mixed corn, mash and grit ad lib. I would definately suggest grit for an increase in laying. The open ground is good for well being and worms so the hens I would imagine are content. Give them some grit and see how it goes, that would be my suggestion :thumbs:

When I first got them they were laying on and off for about 3weeks then nothin. Will try the grit and thanks every one for ya comments

Good luck with that, for chickens to lay regularly they need a constant supply of calcium, or they will not lay and if they do you may have problems with weak shells. Its all about providing all the ingredients that go into an egg and the hens mix the ingredients and provide the eggs! Content, well fed hens will lay and from my own experience Black Rock's are great layers so hope it goes well :thumbs:

Warm it up never heard of that before, will this not make the pellets go to mash?

yeah warm it up put out a flat kind of tray with small edges and put out just enough for the hens to eat so youll have no wastage.... my pheasants weren't laying so i boiled up spud peeling mixed 2 gopings of there meal through it and i am now getting 6 eggs a day this past week,,, :thumbs:

Basically feed them just pellets and kitchen scraps. No mixed corn at all. A think two were laying but now none at all. Could it be anything to do with worms or anything like that

They could need worming.. 5 of the hens of my egg flock, I hatched out Aug last year, and although of age, they didnt start laying properly till lately.

i have had layers pellets from all sorts and some bags would have my hens laying f,ckall.il tell u what will get ur girls laying without layers.whatever meal you are using wet it a little not much just to make it moist add as many crushed egg shells as possible your girls need calcium and they need the right stuff and no better than the stuff they produce themselfs.its a great way to start them and has never ever failed me.some people would say bake them before they are put trough the feed stuff but iv always gone raw shell and it has worked.another thing to do if u are near the sea is to put crushed shells trough the feed stuff of your choice and blend some cleaned dryed seaweed in aswell for tastier eggs and healtier birds.i have game hens here that are on layers and they are skipping days of laying, the next day i would add shells to there feed and they would take the shells before the feed then fill themselfs, after and an egg the next day and everyday would come if i kept up with there calcium intake.its simple realy give them what they need and they will trow out the stuff.if my hens are in lay and they are not getting what they need from the feed stuff they wont produce eggs but what i have learned is that they will produce as much as they can as they will use the calcium from there own body to produce and they can only do so much of that till it starts running dry they need to scratch and have access to grit etc.....do this,, half feed your hens give them a small bit of feed, then put some shells trough the next small feed have a close look at your hens they will tell u what they need hope this helps :thumbs: