Should Chickens Be Laying

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bought my lad a few point of lay hens yesterday (18 week old) 1 egg there this morning.

Should work RT, somewhere unfamiliar and in the open.

get in the pan, finally one egg today just a small one but hopefully a start at last. cheers fellas

Mine are laying pretty much daily, 3 of which are the same sort of age, and they have all got the hang of it now, although one insists on laying in a bush, rather than coop. If they are free range, check hedges/bushes.

2 black rocks 2leg bars and the rest just brown hens not sure what. Keep 5 in separate runs to stop over crowding so thought egg eaten in two lots would be unlucky. A couple eggs now and then throng winter but hardly anything

WE got some marrans at the start of the winter but they still are not laying .i put this down to the cold weather we have have been having .some of our other breed birds have come into lay and gone back out of lay again .be patient and you will soon see some eggs . :thumbs: bantams are a much hardier bird than the hybrids and handle the cold better this is why some people on here have had eggs all winter .

Defiantly not laying yet my run has no we're to hide eggs and I check different times of the day and never any signs. Fenn hope your right as there costing a fortune to feed for nothing. Does any one feed old bread that's left over as scraps?

Warm it up never heard of that before, will this not make the pellets go to mash?

Yes. Warm moist mash, they love it in cold weather. Are the eggs your getting all the same colour? Sounds like maybe only a couple of your hens are actually laying, hence the very few eggs through winter, hopefully should pick up once the weather warms up. Are you feeding any mixed corn? Fat, contented hens aren`t too fussed about laying eggs. My egg production has only just started to pick up in the last few weeks, and Im in the sunny south. Lower your corn and up your layers and greens.