Qualifications Or Self Taught?

Thought it would be interesting to see how people have gained their knowledge as their careers have advanced?

Have you gained through certification or been taught elsewhere?

Do you see a way forward through certification as it seems to be heading that way, laws etc!

I hate the fact that people` have` to be a member of an association and pay yearly fees and have to go on some really pointless courses (still forking out shedloads of hard earned cash) just to say that you are continously learning.

Personally I enjoy the courses that i want to do not the ones you would have to do just to gain points.

Just a thought eh? :rocker:

The best way to learn is from men who do it all day every day. Courses can have their place, health and safety is a good idea in moderation. We used to call it common sense back in the day now people apparently need to be taught it. Progress eh.

I do not belong in any trade association as most of these are just for the sake of it. Just because a van has a logo on it does not mean that the person can do the job to a standard.

• Like 1

I personally believe that you cannot be taught common-sense, its either in you or not.

The best way to learn is from men who do it all day every day. Courses can have their place, health and safety is a good idea in moderation. We used to call it common sense back in the day now people apparently need to be taught it. Progress eh.

I do not belong in any trade association as most of these are just for the sake of it. Just because a van has a logo on it does not mean that the person can do the job to a standard.

• Like 1

It is possible to be self taught and qualified.

I've been on lots, and lots of pest control and wildlife type training courses over the years, and have been lucky enough to gain most of the available qualifications in the UK.

A qualification is just a way of proving that you have retained the knowledge to a high enough standard to pass a test of some sort.

Training courses can be very good, although they can also be very bad.

Many years ago I sat the old BPCA part one. Some of the lads (more than one) were so thick that they had to have it explained to them where to write their name on the answer sheet. At about the same time I sat the DSC 1 and one of the men there admitted on day one that he'd never even seen a deer, never mind pointed a gun at one.

There is nothing wrong with going on training courses and sitting exams, it's just that it doesn't actually prove that you can do the job; only that you've retained the knowledge of the theory of the job.

Self taught and think you know your stuff? Fine by me. Sit the exams and prove it like many others have before you.

What's the best way to learn? By experience and practice obviously; but it's not always the quickest or safest way to learn.

Self taught and think you know your stuff? Fine by me. Sit the exams and prove it like many others have before you.

Does that go for mole catching as well?

Good point.

I suppose it should; but as there is no nationally recognised qualification in mole catching, that's one that can wait.

But......... what about the other stuff that goes with it? Risk Assessments, Safe Systems of Work etc? They're all legally required.......

Happily, one of the nice things about mole catching is the lack of paperwork and regulation. For all that I've written above, I often wonder if the training and qualification regime has made pest control any safer, or dare I say it, more effective.

I've just worked out that before I can do a rat treatment with rodenticides, the following paperwork should be done:

• Site risk assessment
  • Environmental Impact Assessment
  • CoSHH product assessment
  • CoSHH risk assessment
  • Site Report
  • Review of the above

That's not including any site specific documentation, like health questionnaires.

It's all getting very tiresome, and doing nothing to improve pest control. Let's hope molecatching doesn't go the same way.

Good point.

I suppose it should; but as there is no nationally recognised qualification in mole catching, that's one that can wait.

But......... what about the other stuff that goes with it? Risk Assessments, Safe Systems of Work etc? They're all legally required.......

Happily, one of the nice things about mole catching is the lack of paperwork and regulation. For all that I've written above, I often wonder if the training and qualification regime has made pest control any safer, or dare I say it, more effective.

I've just worked out that before I can do a rat treatment with rodenticides, the following paperwork should be done:

• Site risk assessment
  • CoSHH risk assessment
  • Site Report
  • Review of the above
That's not including any site specific documentation, like health questionnaires.

It's all getting very tiresome, and doing nothing to improve pest control. Let's hope molecatching doesn't go the same way.

Feck me,,, I better stop chucking that blue wheat stuff around willy nilly ,,,, and move that phostoxin out the glove box......

• Like 3

Well I was taught of someone who made a good living of snaring things so I'd rather not bother snaring than go on some stupid course.

You would rather turn down work than go on a course that may even bring in more work?

Well I was taught of someone who made a good living of snaring things so I'd rather not bother snaring than go on some stupid course.

Good point.

• Site risk assessment
  • CoSHH risk assessment
  • Site Report
  • Review of the above

Feck me,,, I better stop chucking that blue wheat stuff around willy nilly ,,,, and move that phostoxin out the glove box......

have you borrowed my van :laugh: :laugh:

You would rather turn down work than go on a course that may even bring in more work?

No mate sorry I'm not a pest controller. I do however set snares now and again but now it's not worth the hassle.

You don`t have to conform to rule if your good at what you do. People will always call you back if you do a good job

:rocker::rocker:

No mate sorry I'm not a pest controller. I do however set snares now and again but now it's not worth the hassle.

paper work is important and you need it cover your arse at all times - also get some training done - and if you can go out with another pest man even better you can learn how to do the paper work if you dont know - as matt was talking about is correct . the key word is training and covering your arse with the paper work .