Firearm Variation .17 Winchester Super Mag

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a few of mine, happens regularly.

Not a daft question and the answer may seem strange, NOTHING appears to happen when the case splits, shot fires seemingly normally and case ejects fine.   This is not an issue to be taken lightly bu

Well at least one of the posts on SD mentions that the stock was holed,and its obviously possible to get shrapnel injuries even if the barrel doesn't blow.Rather give them a miss until its sorted out.

Posted Images

It happened to me. A duff round left a bullet in the barrel, the second round vented out of the back of the case but only damaged the rounds in the top of the magazine. Rifle was, and still is an CZ American. I pushed the remaining bullet out quite easily and continue to use the rifle with no apprent loss of accuracy. Apart from a scare I and the rifle have suffered no damage.

Well glad your ok mate,bloody hell that could have been nasty,so finally some photographic evidence for the doubting Thomas's amongst us,this needs sorting before somebody is killed.

I think you should read my posts, #16 covers a bit, and does that photo look like a blown up rifle to you, I also draw your attention to his comments... "I and the rifle have suffered no damage".

I also suggest you start another thread for HMR grief and feel free to show a blown up HMR!!

Edited by Deker

My #16 refers, the Rem 597 is a semi auto and NEVER AVAILABLE IN THE UK in HMR, and apparently NONE have blown up, there is magazine damage on some. As I pointed out in #16 this morning!.

Edited by Deker

Well at least one of the posts on SD mentions that the stock was holed,and its obviously possible to get shrapnel injuries even if the barrel doesn't blow.Rather give them a miss until its sorted out.There were 4 or 5 people out of what can only be about thirty at the BASC evening who had experienced these sort of problems and that was only in a relatively small part of Wales!

• Like 1

I have never had a bullet get stuck in the barrel but cannot understand how you could fail to notice that something was wrong before risking firing another round.

Surely for the bullet to fail to leave the barrel it would have to be a very muted "bang" which generated hardly any pressure as either only the primer detonated, the main charge was inadequately filled or the main charge was damp.

Maybe the shooter should be more aware of what he is doing and more "tuned in" to what a "normal" shot sounds like.

Yet another training / experience issue.

Apart from the fun element of playing Rambo, I do not see the point of a semi auto rimfire in UK. My own guns hold either 4 or 5 rounds and the rabbits just don't come at me fast enough to need rapid fire !!

I have never had a bullet get stuck in the barrel but cannot understand how you could fail to notice that something was wrong before risking firing another round.

Surely for the bullet to fail to leave the barrel it would have to be a very muted "bang" which generated hardly any pressure as either only the primer detonated, the main charge was inadequately filled or the main charge was damp.

Maybe the shooter should be more aware of what he is doing and more "tuned in" to what a "normal" shot sounds like.

Apart from the fun element of playing Rambo, I do not see the point of a semi auto rimfire in UK. My own guns hold either 4 or 5 rounds and the rabbits just don't come at me fast enough to need rapid fire !!

you sound like a very nervous Chief constable, more worried about looking good than protecting the civil rights of British Citizens lawfully engaged in sport shooting.

• Like 1

"Apart from the fun element of playing Rambo, I do not see the point of a semi auto rimfire in UK. My own guns hold either 4 or 5 rounds and the rabbits just don't come at me fast enough to need rapid fire !!" Totally disagree with you, one of the best rabbit guns I have had was my Ruger 10-22 ,very compact,10 round rotary magazine.Ideal for use when controlling rabbits from a vehicle,being short and compact,not having to faff with the bolt or constant reloading all the time,which is noisy and can spook the quarry,And yes bloody good fun on the Range!

Edited by roe-buck
  • Like 1

you sound like a very nervous Chief constable, more worried about looking good than protecting the civil rights of British Citizens lawfully engaged in sport shooting.

Sometimes the replies to posts just don't make sense....

How many shooters have really considered the possibility of a bullet being stuck in the barrel and know how to deal with it safely?

"Looking good"... what are you talking about?

"protecting civil rights...." what are you smoking?

I do, however, concede to the follow up post about shooting from a vehicle, that is a fair point although the sound of the gun being fired and most noticeably the thud of the bullet hitting a rabbit does rather outweigh the sound of a bolt being cocked. I can also see how in those circumstances a bigger magazine is useful. I just find that a bigger magazine sticks out too much but each to his own.

• Like 1

How many shooters have really considered the possibility of a bullet being stuck in the barrel and know how to deal with it safely?

I do, however, concede to the follow up post about shooting from a vehicle, that is a fair point although the sound of the gun being fired and most noticeably the thud of the bullet hitting a rabbit does rather outweigh the sound of a bolt being cocked. I can also see how in those circumstances a bigger magazine is useful. I just find that a bigger magazine sticks out too much but each to his own.

seriously mate have you ever a semi.

seriously mate have you ever a semi.

No, fair comment. I leave myself wide open to criticism and was happy to concede the points above. Sometimes it helps to be contentious in order to get an informed reaction. I don't accept that a semi is quieter than bolt action though, but that does not matter. My shooting tends to be quite long range, slow and steady, sniper style. I do now see the advantage of a semi in other circumstances so thank you for that.