Firearm Variation .17 Winchester Super Mag

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a few of mine, happens regularly.

Not a daft question and the answer may seem strange, NOTHING appears to happen when the case splits, shot fires seemingly normally and case ejects fine.   This is not an issue to be taken lightly bu

Well at least one of the posts on SD mentions that the stock was holed,and its obviously possible to get shrapnel injuries even if the barrel doesn't blow.Rather give them a miss until its sorted out.

Posted Images

At the risk of sounding silly here, does anyone know when the .17 Winchester Super Mag will be available in the uk rfd's?

Thanks.

A report I read at the announcement of this calibre suggested it would be in the UK "later this year", frankly I don't believe that, I will be surprised if any turn up before Spring 2014!

Time will tell!

Edited by Deker

....I think you may be getting carried away with the versatility and power of this little thing ...400 yards! :hmm::hmm::thumbs:

Apologies, I misread that chart, the far column is 250 not 400yds. :icon_redface:

Still 150 ft lbs @ 250 yds isn't bad. Its around the same as .22LR at the muzzle (depending on the ammo choice of course)!

Energy retention at looooong distances in the field isn't a problem with many calibres, many carry plenty of energy way after their "usable range", the problem comes with actually calling the shot and delivering the energy accurately to the right part of the quarry at loooong distance.

A .22lr Sub has plenty of energy to knock down a rabbit past 300 yards, the problem is delivering that energy, not the actual energy it retains when it arrives. :thumbs:

....I think you may be getting carried away with the versatility and power of this little thing ...400 yards! :hmm::hmm::thumbs:

Apologies, I misread that chart, the far column is 250 not 400yds. :icon_redface:

Still 150 ft lbs @ 250 yds isn't bad. Its around the same as .22LR at the muzzle (depending on the ammo choice of course)!

Energy retention at looooong distances in the field isn't a problem with many calibres, many carry plenty of energy way after their "usable range", the problem comes with actually calling the shot and delivering the energy accurately to the right part of the quarry at loooong distance.

A .22lr Sub has plenty of energy to knock down a rabbit past 300 yards, the problem is delivering that energy, not the actual energy it retains when it arrives. :thumbs:

Fair point Dekers. I saw some footage of amateur tests done on the energy retention of a .22lr round at, from memory around 400 yards. Going on the ballistics gell it certainly would be lethal.....

I think it was a "normal" .22lr round though, not subs. I suppose to hit a target at 400 yards with subs the gun would have to be fired more akin to a mortar tube! :laugh:

At the risk of sounding silly here, does anyone know when the .17 Winchester Super Mag will be available in the uk rfd's?

Thanks.

Probably not a lot of help for the uk, although it may give some idea of what is happening, but I believe June is the target date for the USA.

Originally it was down as Quarter 2, but appears to have slipped.

Also, Savage have just been taken over by ATK, so whether or not this will have a bearing on release dates, I don't know. It certainly appears if you hunt around the internet, that there's nothing out yet in the US although 1 or 2 sites have the guns advertised but with "no stock".

Fair point Dekers. I saw some footage of amateur tests done on the energy retention of a .22lr round at, from memory around 400 yards. Going on the ballistics gell it certainly would be lethal.....

I think it was a "normal" .22lr round though, not subs. I suppose to hit a target at 400 yards with subs the gun would have to be fired more akin to a mortar tube! :laugh:

Yeah definately and accuracy seems to be the .17 wsm's forte.

In this video using test ammo and pre-production guns and a rucksac as a gun rest (!) the reporter says he's shooting 1/2 MOA groupings at both 100 & 200 yds. That's some accuracy especially with pre-production stuff!

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/01/02/introducing-the-new-17-winchester-super-magnum/

In this video using test ammo and pre-production guns and a rucksac as a gun rest (!) the reporter says he's shooting 1/2 MOA groupings at both 100 & 200 yds. That's some accuracy especially with pre-production stuff!

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/01/02/introducing-the-new-17-winchester-super-magnum/

Alsone

You need to calm down a bit, you are getting carried away with promotion spiel.

Invited/selected guests have had their hands on a 17WSM :yes::yes:

When did you ever hear of a new calibre being slated in the media/on line, nothing but glowing reports, period.

I am NOT suggesting it doesn't work, what I am saying is go easy on the orgasm until we actually get to see and try it ourselves, it may be a winner, it may also be a Dog!

Performance and price will show if it has a place, not what some pliable journalist has to say about it!

:thumbs::thumbs:

Alsone

Yeah you're probably right. Its just very exicting to seemingly have such a powerful rimfire. :)

Edited by Alsone

Alsone

Invited/selected guests have had their hands on a 17WSM :yes::yes:

When did you ever hear of a new calibre being slated in the media/on line, nothing but glowing reports, period.

I am NOT suggesting it doesn't work, what I am saying is go easy on the orgasm until we actually get to see and try it ourselves, it may be a winner, it may also be a Dog!

Performance and price will show if it has a place, not what some pliable journalist has to say about it!

:thumbs::thumbs:

Thats a fair point Dekers.

I used to be very much into radio controlled aeroplanes. Yes! I know, it's very sad...... :icon_redface:

There's a member of our club who regularly reviews new models and accessories. "off record" he states that if he gives the item a good review, he gets to keep the item being reviewed. By the same token, he was also told if he gives the item a bad review, he won't be asked to review anything else by said supplier.......

After that i still read the reviews, but take them with a "pinch of salt! :thumbs:

• 2 months later...