Firearm Variation .17 Winchester Super Mag

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a few of mine, happens regularly.

Not a daft question and the answer may seem strange, NOTHING appears to happen when the case splits, shot fires seemingly normally and case ejects fine.   This is not an issue to be taken lightly bu

Well at least one of the posts on SD mentions that the stock was holed,and its obviously possible to get shrapnel injuries even if the barrel doesn't blow.Rather give them a miss until its sorted out.

Posted Images

Have a look perhaps on the Stalking directory,and read various horror stories about people having hmr bullets lodge in the barrel,one guy actually blowing his rifle up,and this problem seems to be growing.

The HMR has issues and I don't see anyone arguing about that, but I think you are generalising and mixing up issues.

If a cartridge has enough energy to split a case it will have enough energy to get the bullet out of the barrel. That is a squib load not a split case, commonly attributed to no propellant in the case!

As regards "Blowing his rifle up", what does that mean and where is the picture?

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Have a look perhaps on the Stalking directory,and read various horror stories about people having hmr bullets lodge in the barrel,one guy actually blowing his rifle up,and this problem seems to be growing.

The HMR has issues and I don't see anyone arguing about that, but you are generalising and mixing up issues.

If a cartridge has enough energy to split a case it will have enough energy to get the bullet out of the barrel. That is a squib load not a split case, commonly attributed to no propellant in the case?.

As regards "Blowing his rifle up", what does that mean and where is the picture?

:thumbs:

I have to agree with this, duff ammo will be to blame. and i agree that it is unlikely, not impossable but unlikely that a barrel will be breached.

I wasn't aware that there was any particular problem with .17hmr ammo. I thought the general opinion was that it is the most consistent stable and accurate rimfire ammunition that did its job admirably.

theres been a problem with cracks in the necks of hmr rounds since the day it was released :thumbs:

attachicon.gifDownload17.12.11 233a.jpg

Just a few of mine, happens regularly.

I have just looked through my collection of empty shell cases and there are plenty with fine splits in the neck just as Deker has found.

My experience over thousands of rounds is that it has absolutely no effect.

Looking at my stock of new bullets I cannot see any cracks in the necks of unfired rounds although perhaps they are there and just waiting to be opened up when the round is fired. Am I concerned... No.

The .17hmr is accurate and stable round after round. Case splitting, for me anyway, is just not an issue. The case is a disposable item and not reloaded, it does its job very well. The split is at the neck and pretty inevitable given the pressures involved and the fact that the neck is unsupported. I never have an issue with ejecting.

There are well documented issues with semi auto's but I am not aware of problems with bolt action single shot rifles for which the round was developed.

How many people who have problems with ammunition store their ammunition inappropriately? Damp is bad news as the powder can attract moisture and a crack in the case could, I imagine, make it more likely that the bullet could be affected by damp. My bullets are all stored in a warm dry safe.

The .17hmr is an excellent calibre which makes possible accurate and flat shooting with a devastating impact on small animals (rabbits) out to, typically, 125 yards. As has been stated many many times, different tools for different jobs.

neck splitting is normally caused by over worked brass becoming brittle, the pic that deker put on shows splitting that looks to eminate from the shoulder, it is doubtful that an over sized chamber would do this without the user noticing the other effects of an oversized chamber, even then i am not sure an over sized chzmber would cause splitting like that. the most likely explaination would be the content of the brass or a process error while stamping the plug.

You are right I was perhaps generalising a little,not having read the SD posts totally in depth (probably due to a lack of interest in .17 hmr) however notwithstanding my approach to said calibre,I do try and read posts where safety is an issue/concern,I know for definate one guy had his rifle replaced by I beleive edgar brothers after it had gone bang,and I beleive (although will need to check this) blew his barrel,and more recently people have cited a number of instances where hmr bullets have lodged in the barrel, now I dont really care if this is happening due to moisture,brass,oil,or faries in the barrel,it is rather worrying for hmr users,as I am sure these people are not making this up for something to fill in their spare time.

The reason the necks split is well documented and accepted by most manufacturers.

as a pointer.....

Hornady, in conjunction with Marlin and Sturm Rurger turned what was pretty much a wildcat into the HMR we know. With the .22 WMR as the parent case!

Edit

Perhaps an idea to start another thread if anyone wants to pursue this as this has little to do with the .17 Win Super Mag!

Edited by Deker

You are right I was perhaps generalising a little,not having read the SD posts totally in depth (probably due to a lack of interest in .17 hmr) however notwithstanding my approach to said calibre,I do try and read posts where safety is an issue/concern,I know for definate one guy had his rifle replaced by I beleive edgar brothers after it had gone bang,and I beleive (although will need to check this) blew his barrel,and more recently people have cited a number of instances where hmr bullets have lodged in the barrel, now I dont really care if this is happening due to moisture,brass,oil,or faries in the barrel,it is rather worrying for hmr users,as I am sure these people are not making this up for something to fill in their spare time.

Just giving my take on the subject, i am in the same place as you regards HMR i have very little interest and not enough to have read all the posts on SD, but i do find it interesting, didnt mean to imply anything.

This goes back to an article in Shootinguk from 2007, direct from Hornady. It has also been reported on this and many other sites since...

Bob Palmer at Hornady, in an e-mailed reply to George's (Shootinguk) enquiry about split HMR necks:
CCI makes the cases for all the .17 HMR ammo and loads it for the different companies. When they make the cases they draw the case out to a .22mag case that has a straight wall. Then the priming compound is put in the rim of the case. The case is spun to put the primer evenly in the rim.

After the priming is complete the case mouth is reduced to the .17 calibre to hold the bullet. The reduction process, however, puts stress on the neck of the case. They obviously cannot anneal the neck of the case to relieve the stress because of the compound in the rim, so from time to time you will get a case that cracks. Some batches may produce more splits than others. The chamber pressure on .17 ammo is so low that it does not hurt the chamber on the rifle.

They have tried to anneal the cases more before it's formed to .17, but this did not eliminate the cracks altogether. If the cracks were minor I would continue to use the ammo. The cracks do not affect the accuracy of the round and the brass is not reloadable.

So that's half the horror stories shot down in flames, many of you can sleep easier now!

EDIT

Thats my last word here, this thread is way off topic, if anyone wants to debate HMR issues then great, but start another thread! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Well just had a quick look at the post by the guy who had his rifle replaced,it would appear that it did not in fact blow his barrel up,however due to a round lodged in the rifle,when he fired it,the magazine exploded and it also blew the extractors off his bolt,he was told not to use the ammunition,and he was given a new rifle by the importers,after his rifle and I quote "was in pieces",as said this combined with other posts reffering to hmr barrels having a round lodged up the spout makes(or should)concerning reading to say the least.

It happened to me. A duff round left a bullet in the barrel, the second round vented out of the back of the case but only damaged the rounds in the top of the magazine. Rifle was, and still is an CZ American. I pushed the remaining bullet out quite easily and continue to use the rifle with no apprent loss of accuracy. Apart from a scare I and the rifle have suffered no damage.

post-38266-0-60578300-1366209098_thumb.jpg