Firearm Variation .17 Winchester Super Mag

hi now in the process of putting a variation in ,and am thinking of adding the .17 Winchester super mag that will be available later in the year . I already have a .17 hmr space. would I have to change it to the super mag as they are both rimfire rounds and the same calibre?, my permissions have approval for rimfire but the .17 super mag velocities around 3000 ft/s, thanks mark

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a few of mine, happens regularly.

Not a daft question and the answer may seem strange, NOTHING appears to happen when the case splits, shot fires seemingly normally and case ejects fine.   This is not an issue to be taken lightly bu

Well at least one of the posts on SD mentions that the stock was holed,and its obviously possible to get shrapnel injuries even if the barrel doesn't blow.Rather give them a miss until its sorted out.

Posted Images

If you have a slot that says .17 HMR then that isn't a slot for a .17 Winchester Super Magnum Rimfire.

Nobody knows 100% yet as the Winchester hasn't arrived, but I would suggest you need a variation, as above though, talk to your region!

• 2 weeks later...

mmmm they can't get hmr ammo right yet there building a more powerfull rimfire??? i would go hornet myself and stsrt reloading. the same noies just as safe.

mike

The HMR is a bastardised WMR with neck issues, thats the problem.

The .17 Win Super Mag is a Brand New Cartridge built from scratch :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

mmmm they can't get hmr ammo right yet there building a more powerfull rimfire??? i would go hornet myself and stsrt reloading. the same noies just as safe.

mike

The Win Mag is a Brand New Cartridge built from scratch :thumbs:

is not the 17 win mag a 22 win mag necked down simular to the 17hmr being a necked down 22 wmr :hmm:

mike

is not the 17 win mag a 22 win mag necked down simular to the 17hmr being a necked down 22 wmr :hmm:

Am I missing something, what is the difference between a .22 Win Mag and a .22WMR?

The .17 Win Super Mag is a bigger cartridge and my understanding is that it has been developed from scratch. :thumbs:

Edit, for clarification I have just edited #6 to reflect .17 Win Super Mag!

Edited by Deker

mike

Am I missing something, what is the difference between a .22 Win Mag and a .22WMR?

The .17 Win Super Mag is a bigger cartridge and my understanding is that it has been developed from scratch. :thumbs:

Edit, for clarification I have just edited #6 to reflect .17 Win Super Mag!

:blink: im lost, nothing unusual there :laugh:

mike

I wasn't aware that there was any particular problem with .17hmr ammo. I thought the general opinion was that it is the most consistent stable and accurate rimfire ammunition that did its job admirably.

mike

I wasn't aware that there was any particular problem with .17hmr ammo. I thought the general opinion was that it is the most consistent stable and accurate rimfire ammunition that did its job admirably.

theres been a problem with cracks in the necks of hmr rounds since the day it was released :thumbs:

mike

Too right mate,bloody nail gun case for a start,lol and the video I watched on them it looked like it would have problems hitting a barn door,see if they will let you have a hornet on your ground pal,worlds away from crappy .17 rimfires.

Edited by charlie caller

theres been a problem with cracks in the necks of hmr rounds since the day it was released :thumbs:

post-10759-0-89703500-1366007527_thumb.jpg

Just a few of mine, happens regularly.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

might be a silly question but what effect does it have when the case splits?

does the projectile have reduced velocity or something? or is it just ejection issues?

Not a daft question and the answer may seem strange, NOTHING appears to happen when the case splits, shot fires seemingly normally and case ejects fine.

This is not an issue to be taken lightly but if you clean/maintain your HMR properly the case split is VERY unlikely to cause any issue, the HMR runs around 245ft lb and is surrounded by metalwork thick enough to deal with centrefire pressure. Suggestions have been made about blown up HMR barrels, my response is simple, show me one!

There have been issues with the HMR and Semi Autos in the US and as far as I'm aware there are serious warnings and/or they have stopped making semi auto HMR! This is to do with blowback and potential escaping gases! Perhaps someone may know more than me about that!

The HMR has been around over 10 years now and STILL sells by the bucket load, and NO solution has been found yet. BUT to the best of my knowledge NO injuries let alone fatalities have been reported, and Nobody has shown a blown up HMR. Squib loads appear to have more potential for problems but the worst I have heard is magazines blown out.

Lets keep it in perspective.

But to repeat, this is far from ideal.

The 17 Win Super Mag has no obvious reason to suffer any of these problems, but only time will tell! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1