Tanning Rabbit Hides

• 1 month later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hello i'm looking at tanning rabbit and other hides. some one has told me theres a kit on the market for this. has anyone tryed it? http://www.ronniesunshines.com/rabbit-skin-tanning-kit.html   c

I used the Alum/salt and water recipe to do a Sika hide given to me by my friend who shoots deer around here. It came out quite well I think, I cleaned as much flesh and membrane before it went into t

F**k me, it's Buffalo Bill!    

Posted Images

when you soak in the allum solution is there a point where you can go too far and the fur falls out ? I have a bout 7 soaking but still need to remove the membrane for a few but time is marching on

I used the recipe from steelewilly on the previous page here it is

I have tanned a lot of rabbit skins with alum and salt. Your making more work than necessary.
1 kg alum, 1 kg salt, 15L water.
Skin rabbits and put straight in freezer till you have around 15-20. Don't salt or flesh them.
Mix your solution, put them in for 2-3 days, stir twice a day or more if possible.
Pull them out and rinse them. Beginning from the backside peel membrane from skin. Should be quite easy.
Keep old solution and add half as much salt and alum.
Put skins back in for 10-14 days, stirring whenever you can.
Pull skins out, rinse them, hang them over the bath to drip dry using bent coat hangers to hold skins in shape, after around 36-48 hours they will be drying out, stretch them bit by bit and you will see them turning white as you do this, once this is done rub castor oil in to each skin as you go. If you want it to be even softer lightly rub with 2000 wet and dry or lightly buff on bench grinder buffer wheel. Enjoy.

Other methods of tanning can give you a stronger skin. There is an old R.M. Williams leather bound book from around the 40's that has everything to know about tanning. Hard enough to find in Aus, don't know how you will go in the UK. Although ive heard its on the net somewhere and our national library has one copy.

Bill

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just put my 2 recent rabbit kills pelts in the freezer and order myself some Alum to try give this a go.

I've had a go before using the Brain method but it didn't turn out exactly as I thought it would, but I put this down to me rather than the actual method. I probably didn't boil the brain correctly or keep it on pelt long enough.

Oh well I'm looking forward to seeing good results from the Alum and Salt.

I'll update when I get going

Hi all,

Just checking something.

With the Alum and Salt method.

What will the skins be like if they ever get wet from let's say being outside? Will this method make it so they don't rot or would anyone suggest anything being applied so they can be used outside?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the alum/salt method and rub a little neatsfoot oil after drying and stretching. I suppose this will protect the skin from absorbing moisture, I have made rabbit skinned wrapped training dummies for the dogs and these get wet and dry out fine without any issues. The deer skins I have done don't get wet and I don't think it would do them any good, I think there are more permanent and durable leather tanning methods that would give you a water resistant skin out there. Best of luck.