Tanning Rabbit Hides

I use the alum/salt method and rub a little neatsfoot oil after drying and stretching. I suppose this will protect the skin from absorbing moisture, I have made rabbit skinned wrapped training dummies for the dogs and these get wet and dry out fine without any issues. The deer skins I have done don't get wet and I don't think it would do them any good, I think there are more permanent and durable leather tanning methods that would give you a water resistant skin out there. Best of luck.

Cheers for that pal, much appreciated.

Looking forward to getting cracking now, first stuff i ordered never came so had to order from someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hello i'm looking at tanning rabbit and other hides. some one has told me theres a kit on the market for this. has anyone tryed it? http://www.ronniesunshines.com/rabbit-skin-tanning-kit.html   c

I used the Alum/salt and water recipe to do a Sika hide given to me by my friend who shoots deer around here. It came out quite well I think, I cleaned as much flesh and membrane before it went into t

F**k me, it's Buffalo Bill!    

Posted Images

Everything is coming along nicely now.

Put them in for a few days then fleshed them. theyre back in now for another couple of weeks.

Had a few issues with the pelts tearing slightly when i was peeling the flesh off but not too bad.

looking forward to seeing end results

• 4 weeks later...

You need to start your stretching before the skin fully dries out, it doesn't take much effort to rip a rabbit skin so go easy. You will see the skin change colour to white as it stretches and breaks the skin fibres. If you have let them dry out so they are hard you will probably have to wet them again, but I don't know if this will ruin your curing.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I fancied having a go at tanning some rabbit skins so i sent for the white tan kit from Snowdonia Taxidermy Supplies.

I thought it would be simple, just throw them in the solution for 24 hours and job done, but it doesn't work like that.

There's the salting, fleshing, washing, drying, and softening.

Iv'e had a go at a few now, but i cant seem to get a really nice one finished as yet, struggling with the fleshing, cannot seem to get a nice finish on the hide with removing all the flesh, can get it off in certain area's then other area's it just is not the same.

Has anyone got any advice how to get a nice clean all over finish on the skin after you have fleshed it,

I'm salting them first and leaving them 3 to 4 days.

Thanks

SINDASOX

I fancied having a go at tanning some rabbit skins so i sent for the white tan kit from Snowdonia Taxidermy Supplies.

I thought it would be simple, just throw them in the solution for 24 hours and job done, but it doesn't work like that.

There's the salting, fleshing, washing, drying, and softening.

Iv'e had a go at a few now, but i cant seem to get a really nice one finished as yet, struggling with the fleshing, cannot seem to get a nice finish on the hide with removing all the flesh, can get it off in certain area's then other area's it just is not the same.

Has anyone got any advice how to get a nice clean all over finish on the skin after you have fleshed it,

I'm salting them first and leaving them 3 to 4 days.

Thanks

SINDASOX

i got the same solution here but havnt got around to using it yet . Are you using a proper fleshing knife?

Could do with a video tutorial from someone in the know please .Im looking to do a particularly well furred fox taken this year .

Keep that good pelt and try the process with another one. Loads of video's on YouTube. Most methods are time consuming, especially the softening/ working the hide. Some methods are cheap, others expensive, but all include working the hide, as far as I'm aware. I got a dvd off eBay which shows the process very clearly. Shows a couple different methods too. Can't think of the name of it, but can check for you if you want.

• Like 1

Could do with a video tutorial from someone in the know please .Im looking to do a particularly well furred fox taken this year .

Keep that good pelt and try the process with another one. Loads of video's on YouTube. Most methods are time consuming, especially the softening/ working the hide. Some methods are cheap, others expensive, but all include working the hide, as far as I'm aware. I got a dvd off eBay which shows the process very clearly. Shows a couple different methods too. Can't think of the name of it, but can check for you if you want.

Yes please Eddie ,much appreciated .