The Future, Where Do We Stand As Trappers?

when I was a kid every lad in the village had a interest in rabbits ,trapping ,shooting ,ferriting , or even breeding them, the reason for this was there was nothing else to do, no telly no radio,no bike , and no money, if I hung about around home my grandparents would soon find me something to do, the trick was ,get up ,and get out the way ,in the winter that meant going after rabbits [sweets and baccy money ] . none of them lads that are still alive still retain an interest in bloodsports as Mixi finished it for them and in my opinion it also finished large scale rabbit trapping. When I look at my kids and see the things that they do ski-ing, surfing, and it seems that every week one of them is off to some exotic part of the world, one of the daft b------s even thinks its fun to jump out of aeroplanes, I wonder if given the chance what path I would have taken.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that current legislation covers all the bases well. Only approved spring traps can be sold and used, we have sensible rules on how traps may be set, and how often they must be inspected etc. M

I agree with you Matt that we have a seriously out of date trap approval process, god you have only to look on ebay to see that! There has to be a tighter regime as to which companys sell them and to

moley... i think the reason why are traps ain't up to scratch is trap seller here ain't the knowledge to design or manufacture traps any more... quick fix get rich fast method been employed by them fo

heritage...i agree what you say .there aint many now who run a trap line..take mink trapping for intance,can take months to catch and guess the time needed and cost involved often put many off.... fox snaring the same ....can take weeks at times ....trapping dont always get you intant results..and the time needed before hand to look for suitable set sites in a job in itselfe....my own son now runs his own little squirrel line with a dozen grippers ,11 years old and he sooner be up the fields doing so than sat in doors on the latest computer game...... i think trapping is in your blood,,,and im lucky to have like minded friends who we can share ideas and tips with .. as you say not many do it now but ones i know ,live for it.but after they pass to the other side ,i think trapping will also pass with them.....