What Exscuse?

do you use when both parents of a dog had been worked and worth while, but the pup you yourself have brought on has turned out shit?
seems to me far too many people blame dogs for not doing stuff. ye, you will get the odd one that wont do certain things, but im on about the lads that go through dogs like trainers?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had 11 running dogs in the past 35 years and more often than not have had two at a time at varying ages...once they are here, (barring fatalities which I have had) they are here for good - never

I'm 48 in July Pritch and if the next 20 years goes past as quick as the last 20 I'll be knocking 70 before I know it...scary thought...so I'm just going to enjoy it all for what it is and my dogs for

Im afraid just because the mother and father work it doesn't guarantee the failure of the offspring is automatically down to poor entering.   Why come on here slagging 20 year old "kids" who have ha

do you use when both parents of a dog had been worked and worth while, but the pup you yourself have brought on has turned out shit?

seems to me far too many people blame dogs for not doing stuff. ye, you will get the odd one that wont do certain things, but im on about the lads that go through dogs like trainers?

they collect,swop and trade them like pokemon cards

probably dont give the dog enough time to inpatient

Good post borderscot. I think to many are looking for a dog thats better than the lads dogs they go running with. When its not they get rid. I have too good honest workers here and one that is average at best. They only have to please me and i am honest about there fualts. Atb

• Like 3

they collect,swop and trade them like pokemon cards

Now your just showing your age,majority on here don,t know what Pokemons are?.

i know of one such lad regulalry buys dogs and gets rid of them! lost count of the number of phone calls off him saying do you know any one for such and such dog its got a week if not im shooting it! i also know that a few of them have gone on to make very good dogs taking all legal quarry and pre ban ive no doubt they would have made good deer and fox dogs just not with him!

his problem is that if he gets a pup then till its ready to run it lives in its kennel and let out into the paddock for literally 5 mins in a morning

Anything that makes it any older he doesnt put the time in getting them fit so when they dont perform then they get labelled shit dogs!

Really frustrating........ oh and he thinks hes the mutts nuts in the terrier and lurcher world lol he got rid of his terrier pup cos itcame away on its 6th dig in 2 days when was abit bust up! again he gave it away someone got himsorted and hes doing his job in good style

• Like 3

I've had 11 running dogs in the past 35 years and more often than not have had two at a time at varying ages...once they are here, (barring fatalities which I have had) they are here for good - never had something I couldn't work with...some were f*****g fantastic dogs, some were good honest curs and one or two made serviceable lurchers - all have put food on the table and all have provided me with hours of dodgy and honest adventure, mischief, fun, highs and lows, heartache and lifelong memories... :thumbs: And apart from a wee yapping beddy x whipp x collie x grey bitch I had when I was young I have never had to rehome anything - ever... :yes:

I've learned to live with their faults and foibles and have embraced their strengths and weaknesses as they have with me...I've tried to instill the same ethos into my lad...hopefully he'll make a serviceable dogman one day... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Too easy an option to 'get shot' at the first hurdle...get another, then another...and so on...I know some who'll go through 3-4 in a season declaring that they are all shit - personally, I'm not buying that...not saying there are no useless/shit dogs out there but if you consistently have shit dogs in your yard and go through 4,5,6,7,8 every season...the fault is clearly with the human...

Just my opinion as I see it...

Up to now it's been fun...long may it all continue... :thumbs: atb Colin.

good post that borderscot.

• Like 1

BORDERSCOT U just hit the nail on the head mate well said

Good post borderscot. I think to many are looking for a dog thats better than the lads dogs they go running with. When its not they get rid. I have too good honest workers here and one that is average at best. They only have to please me and i am honest about there fualts. Atb

I've had 11 running dogs in the past 35 years and more often than not have had two at a time at varying ages...once they are here, (barring fatalities which I have had) they are here for good - never had something I couldn't work with...some were f*****g fantastic dogs, some were good honest curs and one or two made serviceable lurchers - all have put food on the table and all have provided me with hours of dodgy and honest adventure, mischief, fun, highs and lows, heartache and lifelong memories... :thumbs: And apart from a wee yapping beddy x whipp x collie x grey bitch I had when I was young I have never had to rehome anything - ever... :yes:

I've learned to live with their faults and foibles and have embraced their strengths and weaknesses as they have with me...I've tried to instill the same ethos into my lad...hopefully he'll make a serviceable dogman one day... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Too easy an option to 'get shot' at the first hurdle...get another, then another...and so on...I know some who'll go through 3-4 in a season declaring that they are all shit - personally, I'm not buying that...not saying there are no useless/shit dogs out there but if you consistently have shit dogs in your yard and go through 4,5,6,7,8 every season...the fault is clearly with the human...

They only have to please me guys - and like Fitchet I'm honest about their faults,,, :thumbs:

BORDERSCOT U just hit the nail on the head mate well said

>Good post borderscot. I think to many are looking for a dog thats better than the lads dogs they go running with. When its not they get rid. I have too good honest workers here and one that is average at best. They only have to please me and i am honest about there fualts. Atb

They only have to please me guys - and like Fitchet I'm honest about their faults,,, :thumbs:

plenty on here lie about their dogs abilities. these days , if a dog aint doing fox everynight of the week, it aint proven lurcher or bla bla bla lol...reardless whether it can catch other stuff...and for this reason only, alot of dogs are for sale or shot round this way. i know couple of lads about 20, had dogs since about 14, so that 6 years...went for mooch with them once, thats all it was , was whos dog smashed this, done this and done that, but none had the said dog? and all bragged about how many dogs theyve had, needless to say i aint been out with them since. lol

• Like 2

The thing is.... why is it such a 'big deal' to have a 'great' lurcher?

You dont get jack shiit if you had the best lurcher in the world.....isnt going to buy you a new house, make your wives tiits any bigger and certainly aint gonna make your cock grow a few inches!

Edited to add...

Im not saying, dont strive for the best....make the best out of what you have...... and be proud of it :yes:

But by saying your dogs great....or if indeed.....it is 'great'..... isnt going to get you feck all....apart from a pat on the back....

Edited by Blue Pocket Rocket
  • Like 7

well said colin , never a truer word said , you dont get bad dogs , it's bad, stupid, ignorent people that make bad dogs-----den

• Like 4

most times out of a litter you will get some pups which turn out alot better than the others but that doesnt mean the [others have to be shot they could be used for something else] i had my 3qtr whip 1qtr grey out in jan with my mates 2 coursing bred dogs and my dog made his look like pugs on the rabbits but i know myself if it was the other way round [hares ] my dogs would be the one looking for answers i have rehomed in the past but i was in a bad place at the time the dog went to my uncle and got alot morer graft then i could of put infront of it so in my eyes it wasnt a bad decision

Im afraid just because the mother and father work it doesn't guarantee the failure of the offspring is automatically down to poor entering.

Why come on here slagging 20 year old "kids" who have had dogs 6 years. Based on walking round a field with them once.

You'v got a 2 year old dog, this is the first lurcher you have ever owned.

it's not fully entered yet (nothing wrong with slowly entering) so using a bit of maths you would have a grand total of 1 season under your belt of working lurchers.

Your starting topics about owners being to blame for dogs failing.

This is typical of the hunting life,

people read a few books which depending on author usually have an agenda swaying towards a certain breed.

Then people make up their own minds on what's good and bad listen to other idiots on here who stero type bull xs owners as chavs and salukis as plodders after watching a 3 min run on you tube.

Get out in the field and learn what it takes before you get on the soap box to preach to others please people.

• Like 8