our pheasant/duck rearing pen

to be honest bob they wernt really that well penned in, just in the release pen !

that paricular pen however in pretty isolated its on the middle of a moore so they dont really have anywhere to go !

it is however advisable to wing clip them and have a net over the relaese pen when they are first entered and we always walk in any escapee's every morning and before roost aswell

Ours were the same last year and they never left the release pen. This is in a twenty acre wood and the blighters loved it in there. On the other shoot they were out but would fly up the nearest tree. We threw sticks at them to fly over the guns, sounds a bit cruel i know but the bounty was if it flew over you and you decided not to shoot it or missed it then there was a £20 fine for the kitty. :D

If you did shoot it the fine was £50 :icon_eek:, there was only one shot last year and the fine paid, the bloke didnt even want the shot bird, needless to say it was quickly nabbed by me :tongue2:

Good way to raise some funds tho, especially with a dozen beaters shouting SHOOT IT , dont half put the pressure on the gun and we usually end up pissing ourselves laughing over it.

Cheers bob

we're putting down 50 reeves pheasants this year with a 50 quid fine if shot and my mate has all sorts of ornimental pheasants that he reared for the same job goldens,peacock pheasants ect :laugh:

trouble is when the cove screamin over with as you say two or three beaters giving it the old OVEEERRR ! :hunter::doh:

thats me 100 quid doon ! :haha:

'mudman at about what age/time should i remove the bits at'

The bits should really be removed just before they are put into the release pen i.e. 6-7 weeks old. Once they are in the pen then feather pecking should be much less of a problem. The other thing is once they are in the big pen it is generally just about impossible to catch them all back up again.

Has anyone heard of releasing wild american turkeys??? I've been offered a few poults and was wondering if it was a goer. Not really for shooting purposes, more for aesthetic qualities, but if they did hold and fly then they would be welcome additions in the bag.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Don't quote me on this, Mud, but I've always rather got the impression turkeys were something the yanks liked to stalk or else sit out and wait for? Never really heard of them being a flying target sort of bird.

Maybe one of the Americans on here could give ye some input? Though I doubt if many would be reading this particular thread.

'mudman at about what age/time should i remove the bits at'

The bits should really be removed just before they are put into the release pen i.e. 6-7 weeks old. Once they are in the pen then feather pecking should be much less of a problem. The other thing is once they are in the big pen it is generally just about impossible to catch them all back up again.

Has anyone heard of releasing wild american turkeys??? I've been offered a few poults and was wondering if it was a goer. Not really for shooting purposes, more for aesthetic qualities, but if they did hold and fly then they would be welcome additions in the bag.

we used to take the bits off before delivering them to the release pens normally 6-7 weeks old