Shortend Crowned And Screw Cut Barrel

Im looking to get my superten barrel shortend and crowned and screwcut 1/2 unf.

Firstly does anyone know a good gunsmith with reasonable prices

Secondly will the gun need a service / tune as ive read the power will drop by shortening the barrel,

Im looking to take around 5 inch off it as its the full length 177 rifle.

I will be taking the vc slencer off and fitting a hw one,

Never done any barrel shortening .not sure but you may be able to get a shorter barrel and not shorten you existing barrel you may not like the result of a shortened barrel and you have to mess with the power .tins and tins of pellets ,expense and time Or just buy another gun with a shorter barrel if you like the new gun you can sell the old gun or not.

Any more advice. Ive tried bsa forum but still waiting to be accepted to join.

tried to join the bsa forum also a few times .nothing .I think it is just a advert for bsa nothing to critical of bsa on the site .If they let you join there select club let me know and prove me wrong.

You are not wrong, mention John Bowkett get the "knowledgeable" ones either criticising you to hell or banning you outright.

Also shoot viscous farmyard fowl with your gun at the request of the landowner, guess what, they ban you too!

Best left alone unless you are an avid BSA supporter!

You are not wrong, mention John Bowkett get the "knowledgeable" ones either criticising you to hell or banning you outright.

Also shoot viscous farmyard fowl with your gun at the request of the landowner, guess what, they ban you too!

Best left alone unless you are an avid BSA supporter!

did you get on the site

are air rifles much different to firearms when it comes to barrel shortening :hmm: would the power loss be that great :hmm: are, air rifle barrels chocked :hmm: why only shorten from the breech end all firearms are shortened from the crowned end. a new crown is added after the rethreading :hmm: all genuine questions :thumbs:

Yes there will be a power difference , and at sub 12 , you want a good , consistent power .

Yes , some are choked ,

And they can be tempremental to shoot at so if its shooting fine then its best to cut from the breech end as you only have to port it .

Yes there will be a power difference , and at sub 12 , you want a good , consistent power .

Yes , some are choked ,

And they can be tempremental to shoot at so if its shooting fine then its best to cut from the breech end as you only have to port it .

surely power cosistancy doesn`t come from the barrell :hmm: is the loss of power not easily compensated for :hmm: any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to recrown a barrel correctly and ensure its centeral to the bore thats left after reduction :hmm: i never get this chocked thing cz say there 22lr barrells are chocked yet 1000`s each year are chopped down with no loss of accuracy :hmm: more questions but im curious :thumbs:

Yes a competent smith can do it , but you get some ( air rifle ) barrels that can be very fussy . Ive known some smiths do agreat job , with an 11 degree match crown , but others not so good and just face it off . This is where 'if it aint broke' comes into play . Its the obvious thing to do , cut the breech end , and i think any smith worth his salt would recomend this unless its shooting like a shot gun .

Yes , some are choked ,

surely power cosistancy doesn`t come from the barrell :hmm: is the loss of power not easily compensated for :hmm: any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to recrown a barrel correctly and ensure its centeral to the bore thats left after reduction :hmm: i never get this chocked thing cz say there 22lr barrells are chocked yet 1000`s each year are chopped down with no loss of accuracy :hmm: more questions but im curious :thumbs:

air rifle barrels have a choked barrel to allow greater accuracy over a wider range or pellets .maybe ?? If not taken to extreme shorter barrels on spring guns increase power and longer barrels give more power on pcp s and co2 .maybe??