Cockapoo Working Dog ???

Most of the Americans i've spoken to either use the Boykin or the American Water Spaniel, i've never heard of an American Water gun dog.

I thought poodles originally came from Germany (puddel hund) and then France, where they standardised the type and became very popular as water retrievers.

Anyway, i say go for it, theres no reason why your Cockerpoo couldn't make a smart, useful little worker.

Best of luck.

Alison

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put the time in mate, there is no reason it shouldnt work well for you.   Think i would just call it a Cocker X if i were you

No mate 1st generation cross mother is cocker father was poodle which is actually a proper gun dog for bringing in game from water thats what they were bred for in america all those years ago   of

Tell all the doubters to f**k off mate i have an 8 year old labradoodle (The dog in my avatar) who is a pleasure to work and he has pissed off a few gundog men as he is a very good dog. starts in augu

Posted Images

Mate of mine has a Jackapoo which he takes Ratting and Rabbiting,and theyre a superb working dog!.Highly intelligent,easy to train,grow to about 12 inches high, and shed no hair,i think theyre ace!!.

post-80843-0-86450300-1364693622.jpg

Poodles are a french gundog used as a fowling dog, I very much doubt there's any working poodle strains in britian and as far as I know it's only the standard poodle that was worked. The other variants where bred for fanny warmers.

Not saying you won't get a good dog but the problem with toy breeds is they're very highly strung and nervous

• Like 1

Poodles are a french gundog used as a fowling dog, I very much doubt there's any working poodle strains in britian and as far as I know it's only the standard poodle that was worked. The other variants where bred for fanny warmers.

Not saying you won't get a good dog but the problem with toy breeds is they're very highly strung and nervous

When I was young, my mates mam had a " fanny warmer" and it was a better busher that some of the terriers we went out with, even caught a few! Also ,years ago the terrier man to the Meynell hunt worked a poodle cross russell, That I personally dug to a few times!

Edited by romany52
  • 1 year later...

Just bred my working lab bitch to a standard poodle important keeping one back to work the sire is a really good wildfowling dog also picks up regular ill put a thread up of how the pup gets on if she takes ill be beating decoying and wildfowling so it will be well tested

Just bred my working lab bitch to a standard poodle important keeping one back to work the sire is a really good wildfowling dog also picks up regular ill put a thread up of how the pup gets on if she takes ill be beating decoying and wildfowling so it will be well tested

Surely if the lab was worth breeding from, as a worker, you'd have more chance of a decent litter of pups using a good labrador stud?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah true but i don't like the size of the labs I've been looking at there all like whippets i thought why waste 600 on a stud fee when i know i want like the pup when i could use a good strong standard poodle for free

Your dog, your decision at the end of the day but still can't understand chancing putting 2yrs into a dog only for it to not make the grade. I've seen more strong labs than light ones & doubt you'd have to pay £600 for a decent stud. At least the rest of the litter will sell for more money than purebred labs.....

No i totally agree with you and understand what your saying i can't see why they won't make the grade I've seen enough now to know there good enough to do the job

also like the good jackets they carry

i also believe along as the working back grounds there and you put the time in there shouldn't be many problems

as we all know nothing garenteed I've seen my fair share of shite labs cockers springer etc

Edited by HPR

Depends on the labs coat if the labs got a good jacket on it like it should have there shouldnt be a problem but again like you say I've seen some that have come out like heinz 57 dogs don't forget most labradooles are just bred for money so most of them are bred from a shite lab to a shite poodle and its not till they get older that they look a twat